Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times

Advertisements

It won't be of much use to an international discussion, but my wife and I drink Buckmaster coffee, which is a local roaster. It makes Starbucks taste mediocre. We buy the fresh roasted beans and grind them at home, and I do mean fresh roasted. As often as not, the bins are sold out.

My recipe for Kahlua is to use medium roast beans run through an espresso machine, add sugar and vanilla for the syrup, then mix it with grain alcohol 50/50 (100 proof) or 5/4 (80 proof). Let the solids settle out of the espresso for a month, then decant. Add an ounce to a cup of coffee. That's my version of flavored coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:47 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It won't be of much use to an international discussion, but my wife and I drink Buckmaster coffee, which is a local roaster. It makes Starbucks taste mediocre. We buy the fresh roasted beans and grind them at home, and I do mean fresh roasted. As often as not, the bins are sold out.

My recipe for Kahlua is to use medium roast beans run through an espresso machine, add sugar and vanilla for the syrup, then mix it with grain alcohol 50/50 (100 proof) or 5/4 (80 proof). Let the solids settle out of the espresso for a month, then decant. Add an ounce to a cup of coffee. That's my version of flavored coffee.
Sounds delish. I'm on the East coast and my roaster in is Portland, OR also. They roast and I receive within two days. Mediocre is a compliment to Starbucks in comparison.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,820 times
Dont care for the Keurig as doesnt taste like fresh brewed. I buy the flavored beans and grind them. My favorite flavors are hazelnut and michigan cherry.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Sounds delish. I'm on the East coast and my roaster in is Portland, OR also. They roast and I receive within two days. Mediocre is a compliment to Starbucks in comparison.
Did you know you can roast the beans yourself in an air popcorn popper? If you really want gourmet coffee, buy the green arabica beans and grind them while they are still warm from roasting.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I thought I was the only who could smell that in choc chip cookies. The rest of my family thinks I'm either insane or too picky.
you aren't crazy or picky, but I must be ablivious to smells cause I really have no idea what you are even talking about. I think hubby and I must be the only ones in the world that likes the flavored (yes artificial) stuff. Now, I have to get off the computer for a minute, I can smell our Sat coffee perking.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Did you know you can roast the beans yourself in an air popcorn popper? If you really want gourmet coffee, buy the green arabica beans and grind them while they are still warm from roasting.
That is a seriously poor idea. Fresh roasted beans need time to de-gas for peak flavor. If you need to roast for the next morning's coffee, leave the beans out on a cookie sheet all night. Otherwise, best to wait 2 days for consumption, 4 - 6 if you're using them to make espresso.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:37 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Why not recommend *natural* flavoring, instead of artificial? You could charge a premium for adding a few -drops- of natural flavor extracts, it takes up much less space than those bottles of flavor syrups, the extracts can be displayed in a much neater, and much more interesting way than the flavor syrups can, and the company can promote the whole concept of "real coffee, real flavor."
Go open a roastery/cafe and get back to me.

"Natural" flavoring is not what the American flavored-coffee-drinking public wants. The public wants cloying and powerful flavoring to overwhelms any actual coffee flavor in flavor combinations that get increasingly more bizarre each year.

And the bottled syrups at the coffee counter have zip to do with flavoring a cup of drip coffee. They are for adulterating your oversized latte.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I'm glad to see it's not just me that hates flavored coffee. It definitely smells and tastes like chemicals to me. Every fall they bring out the pumpkin spice flavored coffee. For some reason, pumpkin flavored coffee is a thing here. I had some friends visiting from Canada one fall and they asked me "what's up with the pumpkin flavor? Ew" I saw a TV ad (yes already) that one company is introducing natural flavor this year for their pumpkin spice coffee. It might be Dunkin Donuts. Anyway, if I can't have regular coffee I just have tea.
Definitely my favorite flavor, bar none. That is, IF it is a good one. Wawa has the most amazing pumpkin spice, every fall. I love it.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you aren't crazy or picky, but I must be ablivious to smells cause I really have no idea what you are even talking about. I think hubby and I must be the only ones in the world that likes the flavored (yes artificial) stuff. Now, I have to get off the computer for a minute, I can smell our Sat coffee perking.
Nope! I love it, my son loves it, my nephews love it...and when I make it at work I am SURROUNDED by "thank you!!"s all morning.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:05 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Loooove flavor coffee! !!! Just had pumpkin at our local Dunkin Donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink