Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,147,930 times

Advertisements

Flavored coffee, whether it's vanilla, hazelnut, caramel, chocolate or almond, etc. has a smell that many people including me, find repulsive. All of them smell exactly the same. I was unable to use my Keurig for 2 days after someone put a hazelnut flavored thing in it lol. I'd just love to know what that ingredient is - it's so powerful to me that I can't smell the flavour itself. It's got something reminiscent of microwave popcorn, and I know that smell is diacetyl - could it be the same thing? I know they all contain polypropelene glycol but I don't know what that smells like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 07:02 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,588,381 times
No, it's not diacetyl. Maybe aldehyde? It's a bit nutty/almondy.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
No, it's not diacetyl. Maybe aldehyde? It's a bit nutty/almondy.
Yeah, it's hard to separate it from the actual 'flavour' if the flavour is genuine. Have you ever sniffed a bottle of fake vanilla essence? It's got a bit of a nasty component that reminds me of this too. I don't get the nutty almond - I get more.. hmm. wet particle board?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
^^^ Nope! Coffee flavoring contains flavor compounds mixed with a solvent like propylene glycol, (popularly used in pharmaceuticals, and airplane de-icing compound!) in order to attach the flavor chemicals to the beans.
The Dark Side of Flavored Coffee | Serious Eats
Here you can read about this delicious solvent:
The Dangers of Drinking Flavored Coffee - Black River RoastersBlack River Roasters

Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Nope! Coffee flavoring contains flavor compounds mixed with a solvent like propylene glycol, (popularly used in pharmaceuticals, and airplane de-icing compound!) in order to attach the flavor chemicals to the beans.
The Dark Side of Flavored Coffee | Serious Eats
Here you can read about this delicious solvent:
The Dangers of Drinking Flavored Coffee - Black River RoastersBlack River Roasters
LOL thanks, that is so awful to read. I'm glad the smell alone stops me from even touching it with my hands. I guess what we're smelling, then, is 100% artificial flavouring?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,382,393 times
Does this also apply to flavored creamers..?
It never occurred to me to check the label on creamers..

Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,588,381 times
It's not propylene glycol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Yeah, it's hard to separate it from the actual 'flavour' if the flavour is genuine. Have you ever sniffed a bottle of fake vanilla essence? It's got a bit of a nasty component that reminds me of this too. I don't get the nutty almond - I get more.. hmm. wet particle board?
I've never smelt it alone, but I suspect it's that kind of weird chemical flavour in bought choc chip cookies? I don't know. Might have to linger in the coffee section, see if I can sniff it out.

Caligula, the label gives no information, just whether the flavouring is natural or artificial. There might be dozens of artificial flavours which taste delicious and don't make people crazy, but when they don't differentiate the consumer can't either. Reminds me of the situation with American cleaning products (noise nfo on labels).

Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
whatever it is, it doesn't bother us and we enjoy our flavored coffee every weekend. During the week, it is just plain old coffee, 1/2 reg; 1/2 decaf. The weekends it is flavored. Love it!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:03 AM

287 posts, read 324,594 times
I don't even use the Keurig at work because coworkers are always using flavored coffee in it. Two, three cups later and I still can detect that chemically taste. I hate the taste of anything artificially flavored. The only flavored coffee I will drink is chocolate flavored. The worst tasting to me is hazelnut flavored coffee, followed close behind by French vanilla. Yuck.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
I'm glad to have found other people who can't stand the smell of hazelnut coffee! I'm not fond of hazelnut anything, though (oddly) I do like raw hazelnuts. We called them filberts growing up.

I'm fine with the scent of the real actual vanilla bean. I don't like the synthetic though at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink