Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:12 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

North Beach Person: Then maybe, where you live people eat healthier food, and that includes smaller portions being in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Why do restaurants box food?

So you don't need to put it in your pocket or purse!
Thanks for the laugh,your my kind of people.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:10 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Bento boxes are the norm in Japan. I love Japan.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Maybe where you come from, the food served in restaurants is stolen from local soup kitchens and food banks, but in the United States NOBODY goes hungry because of wasted food in restaurants.

Do you feel that my mother living by herself in a 3 bedroom home is forcing two bedrooms worth of people to be homeless because she is wasting two bedrooms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I DO think that's wasteful, as a matter of fact. But then I'm a very "un-American" American.
Yikes! What would you think if I said I lived alone in a 4 bedroom house...I suppose you think I should move to a 1 bedroom or even a studio, I suppose, since it's just me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Why do restaurants box food?

So you don't need to put it in your pocket or purse!
When I was a kid, I remember going to a church pancake breakfast. A woman sitting next to me had a large black purse, and as I sat there, she opened it up and dumped her plate of pancakes into the purse and then go back for more. I must have been about 5 or 6...I remember being totally grossed out.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:55 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
North Beach Person: Then maybe, where you live people eat healthier food, and that includes smaller portions being in demand.
Must've changed a lot since I moved from MD, cause usually I was inundated with food in Ocean City MD. Hell even Hoopers crab shack, a middle of the road joint, you needed a grocery sack to carry out the leftover chicken and crabs.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:57 PM

133 posts, read 172,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Just something to think about. Where did that idea come from? It had to be recent right? Like the 1990s when that started. I don't remember it when I was younger.
It came from the idea that if food is in a container there is less chance of it being contaminated with hair, body fluid etc. A false sense of security so to speak. Sometimes we are better off not knowing these things.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doxies View Post
It came from the idea that if food is in a container there is less chance of it being contaminated with hair, body fluid etc. A false sense of security so to speak. Sometimes we are better off not knowing these things.
Did people used to just stick their leftovers down their pants?!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 AM

133 posts, read 172,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Did people used to just stick their leftovers down their pants?!
Hahaha, they used to bring their own baggies I think, at least that's what my grandmother used to do.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 AM

19,427 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaydrive00 View Post
did people used to just stick their leftovers down their pants?!
lol!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 AM

19,427 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Cultural thing also. You don't see it in Europe. No doggy boxes there, but portions appropriate for one person to eat. The term doggy bag or doggie bag is an Americanism that entered the European lexicon mostly to complain about the practice. Food is made to order, to be eaten as the chef envisioned it, immediately as the dish arrives on the table. It is not to be eaten at another temperature (cold pizza), in another form (e.g.sliced in a sandwich), or mixed together.
Leftovers do not constitute food in places that prides itself in a cuisine that has not seen change in centuries, and is not ready for reheating in the microwave oven.
Food left on the plate as scraps, not leftovers. There's a difference. It’s not good manners to ask to take home kitchen scraps.
However, things are slowly changing there too, and some restaurants offer "Too good to waste" boxes as well.
Here in the US, the portions were always bigger than one could eat. Now, really humongous. Even splitting a dinner plate for two makes two full size dinners. Completely out of control - because customers don't think they are getting good value for their dollar if the serving size is notatleast twice the size of what a normal person can eat at a sitting. That's probably why doggy boxes are so popular.
However, lots of people don't eat that food later. For many reasons - it doesn't look great anymore, or is forgotten somewhere in the back of the fridge. We waste a lot here...

TheSmithsonian blog Food & Think claims that the first doggy bags were for the benefit of dogs during the 1940s when rationing had an adverse impact on pet diets. By the 1970s, the practice of doggy bags for late night snacks for human consumption became more accepted. Even elegant places would oblige when asked.

Asking for that doggie bag doesn't draw howls it used to | cleveland.com
I can understand that, but it's still completely edible food! Just because it's not at its "prime, optimum moment" to be ingested, you're still lucky to have it. Eat it and be thankful! lol. (I'm speaking about people in general. )

I agree that the portions here are ridiculous; I comment on it just about every time we eat out. But since there is food left over, there's no way I'm not asking for a doggy bag. And I ALWAYS eat it later.

Also, I eat pretty slowly. If we're eating out, especially with other people, I'll be paying more attention to those people and/or the surroundings, so I'm always the last one finished or who has too much food on my plate to finish, whether it was an oversized serving or not. But I'm not about to throw it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink