Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:18 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am not loving the name "funeral sandwiches," especially for a party for senior citizens. How morbid. Can't they just be "little sandwiches"?
Lol! Well they are called best ham sandwiches I think in the recipe forum, is that better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Lol! Well they are called best ham sandwiches I think in the recipe forum, is that better?
I like that much better!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:13 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Thanks, everyone! You guys have such wonderful ideas, and all have been helpful.

I'll have to admit, I never heard of "funeral sandwiches" and had to look back at my original post to see if I wrote "funeral reception" LOL After I did some searching, I figured it out. They do look delicious. I've printed all of this out, and will sort through as the time gets closer (October 16th) because I want to see if it will be HOT weather, or COOLER weather. One never knows in Delaware. For sure, chilled wine will be in abundance. I'll start the food selection with something a little heavier, and compliment that with dips, crackers, and some finger foods you suggested. So many choices here! Thanks, again!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:30 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Thanks, everyone! You guys have such wonderful ideas, and all have been helpful.

I'll have to admit, I never heard of "funeral sandwiches" and had to look back at my original post to see if I wrote "funeral reception" LOL After I did some searching, I figured it out. They do look delicious. I've printed all of this out, and will sort through as the time gets closer (October 16th) because I want to see if it will be HOT weather, or COOLER weather. One never knows in Delaware. For sure, chilled wine will be in abundance. I'll start the food selection with something a little heavier, and compliment that with dips, crackers, and some finger foods you suggested. So many choices here! Thanks, again!
Oh no! Don't chill the red wine!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:34 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
LOL - SO just called. We will have 15 over for finger food next Saturday.

Wings (I separate them ind two bit sized sections)
Sausage balls with cheese and pickled hot peppers
Funeral sandwiches with Black Forest Ham
Pot stickers with chicken
Jalapeños with cream cheese and bacon (thank you for the reminder!)
Mini chicken skewers with pineapple
Cheese ball (good ol' dinosaur!)
Orzo pasta salad
Finger sized soft breadsticks, chips, crackers
Crudités
Grapes and cheese
Crumble cake with peach or plum (easy to cut into small squares) with soft whipped cream
Mini brownies

Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:

I'll have to admit, I never heard of "funeral sandwiches" and had to look back at my original post to see if I wrote "funeral reception" LOL After I did some searching, I figured it out. They do look delicious...
It's funny as I make these so often that the name doesn't register with me till someone points it out. Say something enough, it becomes just a word. Either way it's delish. As I said, the last batch, I swapped out the ham/cheese for roast beef/cheddar and mustard for horseradish. Came out really tasty.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
I've got company coming in October, and we'll be sitting out on our big front porch watching a Homecoming Parade go by around 5-6 p.m. I think about 8 will be attending, and we are all senior citizens (not interested in burgers, heavy casseroles and such).

Definitely, we will have 2-3 kinds of wines. I'm looking for easy, no mess, hearty horderves ....filling enough to take the place of a dinner. A big plus would be recipes I can make in advance. Any ideas? Thank you for whatever you can offer.
I can think of several that would work, but here are my 2 favorites: make ahead: 1-home made egg rolls. They are not as hard as they sound. I usually cut them in 1/2 before serving them. The other is cocktail meat balls, again, make ahead. As for the recipe, I pretty much follow the instrucions on the egg roll package, which is available in the produce section of the grocery store. I do use, cold slaw mix and add cut snow peas, ginger, whatever kind of meat you want and a few more spices than the recipe on the package. They freeze beautifully and heat up in no time. Use a hot and sour sauce for dipping.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
LOL - SO just called. We will have 15 over for finger food next Saturday.

Wings (I separate them ind two bit sized sections)
Sausage balls with cheese and pickled hot peppers
Funeral sandwiches with Black Forest Ham
Pot stickers with chicken
Jalapeños with cream cheese and bacon (thank you for the reminder!)
Mini chicken skewers with pineapple
Cheese ball (good ol' dinosaur!)
Orzo pasta salad
Finger sized soft breadsticks, chips, crackers
Crudités
Grapes and cheese
Crumble cake with peach or plum (easy to cut into small squares) with soft whipped cream
Mini brownies
I'd ditch the orzo pasta salad. You'll need plates and forks for it. NOT finger food.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can think of several that would work, but here are my 2 favorites: make ahead: 1-home made egg rolls. They are not as hard as they sound. I usually cut them in 1/2 before serving them. The other is cocktail meat balls, again, make ahead. As for the recipe, I pretty much follow the instrucions on the egg roll package, which is available in the produce section of the grocery store. I do use, cold slaw mix and add cut snow peas, ginger, whatever kind of meat you want and a few more spices than the recipe on the package. They freeze beautifully and heat up in no time. Use a hot and sour sauce for dipping.
Yeah, but don't you have to deep fry those suckers before or after freezing?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:02 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,300 times
How about a fresh veggie pizza! Not to be confused with hot pizza. Whenever I take one to a get together it's gone in a flash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink