Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:56 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I cant afford hamburger meat, went to get some and it was $7.25 a pound, and that was for 15%. last week it was $5.10 a pound for 7%. What happen, did i miss something on the news.

so no sloppy joes tonight, cant afford chicken any more, guess I'm becoming a veggie
Buy less and stretch it with diced mushrooms and lentils cooked in beef broth (use brown or DePuy lentils; they don;t distintegrate so much). You still get a lot of umami and beefy flavor for 1/3 of the amount of ground beef you would usually use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 08:03 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I bought some yesterday (80%) for 3.98 a pound. I did see the 90% was up there at over 6.00 a pound.
I am planning on cooking some burgers so the 80% was on my list.

Did you miss the news? Yes you did. The west is in a severe drought and cattle herds are at all time lows. Basic supply and demand issue. Also the time of year is a factor. It is late summer and grilling season is still in full swing. Come late fall and winter there will be demand for more roasts and prime rib roasts and less demand for hamburger meat. Price will likely decrease this winter.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
I'm shocked it's that high! Price of fats has dropped and cattle owners are losing money, unless hedged right.

If you eat beef often, invest in a freezer and buy half a beef. I just bought one in May, price per pound for everything(just took pounds I got and what I paid) was just under $3.00/# That includes ribeyes, T-bones, roasts, ground beef, ox-tail, tongue, heart. If I see a sale of meat under $3/# at store I'll buy it, needless to say......I don't buy beef at any store. lol

Also try a mix of short rib, sirloin, and brisket(all usually cheaper cuts) and grind it in a food processer if you don't have that just cut it up, fat included, to make a burger. Makes a great burger.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
It's about $3.99 a pound where I live, can't afford chicken???? Where I live I can get legs and thighs (family pack for about $1.29 a pound.) Chicken breast when on sale ranges from $1.99-$2.99 a pound for the family pack. One little grocer by me has chicken breast $1.99 a pound everyday and they will even trim it, slice it thin. Where do you live that ground beef is Around $7.00 a pound?

Old 09-19-2015, 11:55 AM

422 posts, read 335,890 times
Living in grand isle, I imagine raises the prices a bit. I would hope, tho, seafood would be cheaper for you.

I feel your pain, beef prices are sky high, I rarely buy it.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I cant afford hamburger meat, went to get some and it was $7.25 a pound, and that was for 15%. last week it was $5.10 a pound for 7%. What happen, did i miss something on the news.

so no sloppy joes tonight, cant afford chicken any more, guess I'm becoming a veggie
Where in the H do you live? Yes, it is expensive, that is why so many of us do not eat a lot of red meat anymore I am sure, but even this week it is $4.49 lb for ground chuck. I think ground sirloin is $4.79. As for chicken, again, it isn't all that pricey and pork is a great deal. If you want to become a vegetarian good for you, but don't blame it on the cost of all meats.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
^^I live in the west and have not experienced a shortage in ground turkey. I don't know about whole turkeys. I buy the frozen chubs of ground turkey if no fresh ground is available.
I don't think the cost of ground turkey has hit yet. Here it is still very reasonable. As for cost of beef to go higher as someone said: I have heard just the opposite from people around here who own cattle. They seem to think it will not vary much at all. I am not saying, it will not go up, but not as much as some might think. Turkey for Thanksgiving might be the thing we will all have to worry about.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I too would like to know where the OP lives. Prices are supposed to be high here in California but I haven't seen meat prices that high except for organic grassfed and even then... Safeway is advertising gb for $4.99 this morning.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I too would like to know where the OP lives. Prices are supposed to be high here in California but I haven't seen meat prices that high except for organic grassfed and even then... Safeway is advertising gb for $4.99 this morning.
My thoughts as well. I just have to wonder what kind of hamburger it was and what kind of a grocery store? Maybe he will come back to explain this to us beging none of us have seen it anywhere near that high.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My thoughts as well. I just have to wonder what kind of hamburger it was and what kind of a grocery store? Maybe he will come back to explain this to us beging none of us have seen it anywhere near that high.

I have seen 80/20 ground beef at $7.59/ lb. in Tucson. Some stores like Whole Foods or Sprouts do charge that much for some brands of their ground beef.

However, I purchased $10 of ground beef last month when there were two sales at the local affiliate. I paid $1.99/lb for USDA choice 90/10 and 2.49/ lb for 80/20 the following week.

And $0.59 for chicken leg quarters in 10# packages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink