U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,027,359 times

Advertisements

GMO corn is just fine. By growing GMO corn farmers keep pesticide useage low and non-toxic. And FWIW, all corn for human consumption is so far non-GMO. Just some information to think about. BTW, I love me some corn on the cob. One reason to embrace summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 AM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Hushpuppies!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,271,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
GMO corn is just fine. By growing GMO corn farmers keep pesticide useage low and non-toxic. And FWIW, all corn for human consumption is so far non-GMO. Just some information to think about. BTW, I love me some corn on the cob. One reason to embrace summer.
What about corn flakes, taco shells, etc. I agree with you but not all corn is going to ethanol or starch. One other route is fed to cattle ==> fed to humans. That being said, if we are to feed 7 billion + on this planet, we cannot do it without GMO's.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:31 AM

9,950 posts, read 10,234,069 times
Sure we can. You can get greater yields w/o GMO and pesticides, but big ag (Monsanto, et al) doesn't want you to think so. In fact GMO is causing problems in introducing weed resistance.

For your reading pleasure on superweeds:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/bu...anted=all&_r=0
Glyphosate-resistant weed problem extends to more species, more farms | Herbicides content from Farm Industry News
Why Monsanto Thought Weeds Would Never Defeat Roundup : The Salt : NPR
Herbicide-Resistant 'Super Weeds' Increasingly Plaguing Farmers - US News and World Report
Nearly Half of All US Farms Now Have Superweeds | Mother Jones
Roundup-resistant weeds an evolving challenge | netnebraska.org

And on the increased yields you can get from organic non-gmo practices:
http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/o.../n-kltar98.pdf
Organic corn: Increasing rotation complexity increases yields | Science Codex
The System of Rice Intensification
Unraveling The Mystery Of A Rice Revolution : The Salt : NPR

FTR, I'm fond of organic Silver Queen corn. I make a pretty good cornbread in my cast iron skillet, too.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,728,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
What about corn flakes, taco shells, etc. I agree with you but not all corn is going to ethanol or starch. One other route is fed to cattle ==> fed to humans. That being said, if we are to feed 7 billion + on this planet, we cannot do it without GMO's.
Lol yes you can. Do you have any idea how much food people waste? There is plenty of food on this planet to every single person with more to spare. The problem is not the crops we grow, and GMO foods will not solve the problem. Do you really want to eat food that is sprayed so heavily with pesticides like roundup?

Personally I prefer not to put food in my mouth that was created in a laboratory, and has not been tested long term on our health. Studies are showing the possible issues with GMO foods, so I will continue to avoid them as much as possible. There is a reason why the non GMO movement gets bigger every year, and why certain stores do not allow them in their food.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:00 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,339,938 times
Haha yes, I love corn. One of my friends wrote a cookbook full of corn recipes! ;D Dessert, liquor, drinks, etc.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,125,167 times
Spent much of my childhood in the cornfield. Love corn and the cows and pigs did too. Love corn flakes but do not eat grits.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 AM

994 posts, read 1,198,480 times
I love corn. But if I had to choose between corn and potatoes, potatoes would win every time.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 AM

17,986 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Had corn on the cob last night....................sweeeeeeet.

I love corn muffins too, especially when you add real corn to the batter.

Another thing: You get to buy Indian corn to hang on the front door. YAY for corn.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 AM

5,983 posts, read 7,363,619 times
I love corn more than Peter loved the Lord and I love it in any forms. My favorite meal is slab cornbread with a big plate of navy beans...with lots of iced tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or