Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. Some of you have probably seen the YouTube videos of people eating a Balut or other crazy things.. I'm thinking more the things that you can easily find on a grocery store shelf in the US that you see it and can't believe that people actually eat it.

Bulk Sausage, for example...

I came across one the other day that I bought.. Thought it sounded good.. I was WRONG..

BumbleBee canned crab meat. Oh, dear lord.. Opened the can up and the odor that came out of that can.. I love crab meat.. That was the crap they sweep up off the floor, apparently. It damn near caused an evacuation of the office.

LOL, maybe it was mislabeled cat food.

Many years ago I bought several cans of chunk tuna canned by a company that used three diamonds as a logo and called it Three Diamonds Tuna. That logo looked just like the Mitsubishi logo, I thought maybe they had a canning division where they put food into the cans instead of automotive parts, but I bought it because it was on sale and I thought, why not?.

Well, when I opened the first can the entire place smelled like leftover fish, and the stuff was so strong and raunchy I tossed all the cans out. There was no eating it. I always wondered if maybe they had mislabeled the cans and they were really cat food.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:29 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
My cousin makes and sells balut for his phillipino passengers on his bus line, he gets like $5 an egg... Gross!!!
He has incubators set up in his garage...

I bought a can of chef boyardee beef ravoili about a year ago, used to devour the stuff as a kid...
I found it to be completely discusting, how did I used to eat that crap???

Old 09-21-2015, 02:49 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Just like "one man's trash is another man's treasure"..."one man's trash is another man's food"...and often a "delicacy" at that!!!

If you are hungry enough, you will eat about anything edible, twice if you like it enough. i won't eat balut either, and I don't need to look it up!

There are those who think we are nuts and gross for eating a COW {beef}, remember cows are SACRED to many billions of people, like in Nepal and India,and their meat is taboo to eat! Some Africans often drink the blood let from the cows for moisture when water is scarce, and as part of "religious ceremonies". And the cows are their "Currency".

I Don't "DO" squid, scallops, clams or muscles...I don't like the way they smell, or taste or the texture of them. The shellfish, particularly, and I don't get along, it's not exactly an allergic reaction, but an
"adverse reaction" as they call it, making me sick while others eating them are fine {and I don't mean bad or expired ones}....so it is no issue for me! The only "ocean food" I eat is certain fish. Not all, but certain ones.

So, again, as my popular saying here is: It's all relative!

Bon Appetite!

Old 09-21-2015, 03:28 PM

420 posts, read 704,105 times
My husband was talking about fairy bread last night which is apparently an Australian thing. Despite it's very cool sounding name the combination of ingredients does not sound appetizing to me.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. Some of you have probably seen the YouTube videos of people eating a Balut or other crazy things.. I'm thinking more the things that you can easily find on a grocery store shelf in the US that you see it and can't believe that people actually eat it.

Bulk Sausage, for example...

I came across one the other day that I bought.. Thought it sounded good.. I was WRONG..

BumbleBee canned crab meat. Oh, dear lord.. Opened the can up and the odor that came out of that can.. I love crab meat.. That was the crap they sweep up off the floor, apparently. It damn near caused an evacuation of the office.

I just got done looking for it on Youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCsa_Doev7Y

Don't watch if you're eating... ick

Old 09-21-2015, 05:03 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Dried squid is very popular here in Hawaii, akin to jerky. They even sell it chocolate covered. It's called Ika. Smells Ika too. There's also lots of fish sausage sold here.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:09 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Apologizing to myself for ever googling "balut." Oh, my breaking heart.

I remember my DH's story about his first taste of dried squid. A little kid gave it to him. Some of the Army brats he was coaching were chewing on it. What could be the harm? Hilarious.

I suppose the answer is that it's whatever you grew up eating. Or you discover something new that you genuinely like. Or you're a foodie who likes to be on the edge of whatever is the latest hip and cool thing to claim to like.

I know what you mean about canned crab meat. You need to be familiar with the brands unless you like that really fishy stuff. I buy the store's hand-cracked and freshly packaged to be on the safe side.
dried squid or cuttlefish is delicious.
Balut is nothing, I've had it. Tastes like hard boiled egg and chicken soup.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I really don't see how eating balut is any different than eating caviar or raw oysters. I mean if you have eaten raw oysters, you have eaten something that is still alive! Plus - they look like a big loogie.

We eat all kinds of strange stuff. Natural food coloring is sometimes made from insects. Mmmm yum!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Any old Army vets here?

C Rations? Pork Slices with Juices? Ham and Lima Beans? Canned scrambled eggs?

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I just got done looking for it on Youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCsa_Doev7Y

Don't watch if you're eating... ick

Oh HE11 no!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink