Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,795,915 times

Advertisements

I think, since most were either home (farm) raised or bought from a butcher freshly slaughtered, probably. I've rained corn fed pigs and the taste was so different from the pork you buy at the grocery store. Eggs I get from my chickens taste better, and local grass fed beef is SO much better tasting. Of course, fresh milk and cheese tastes different, much more flavorful, and home baked bread is remarkable. Vegetables from my garden have a strong flavor, especially tomatoes, and sweet corn. I would think it was the same back 100 or more years ago. Just simple, fresh meals. Things were stored in the root cellar and canned or dried. The addition of hormones and chemicals may make the chicken look like it needs a 44d bra, but sure doesn't taste any better.

I even bet pizza was better then too!

Old 09-26-2015, 11:50 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,346,321 times
Also, they didn't think raw fruit and veg were healthy for you. Things were often cooked within an inch of their lives. Things like tropical fruits/veg were nonexistent.

Fruit was for special occasions for the vast majority of people. An orange in the 1920's was the ONLY gift my grandfather would get for Christmas, and he was excited about it. (He lived on a farm, too.)

People had much less access to variety of foods and good food storage. The past was not some utopia of delicious food, unless you were fabulously wealthy and lived in an area with abundant crops or good food transportation.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:04 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,346,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I think, since most were either home (farm) raised or bought from a butcher freshly slaughtered, probably. I've rained corn fed pigs and the taste was so different from the pork you buy at the grocery store. Eggs I get from my chickens taste better, and local grass fed beef is SO much better tasting. Of course, fresh milk and cheese tastes different, much more flavorful, and home baked bread is remarkable. Vegetables from my garden have a strong flavor, especially tomatoes, and sweet corn. I would think it was the same back 100 or more years ago. Just simple, fresh meals. Things were stored in the root cellar and canned or dried. The addition of hormones and chemicals may make the chicken look like it needs a 44d bra, but sure doesn't taste any better.

I even bet pizza was better then too!
My family does raise crops/animals in rural Texas. Yes, some things taste better. Some meals are simple and fresh. They also supplement with things that are only available during modern times. Canning food at home does not make it taste that much better than the store bought brands.

One of my favorite memories is eating fresh peaches ripped on a tree. However, few people had access to that delicious fruit at the turn of the 20th century. Why is peach cobbler or peach desserts a "southern" thing? Because it was too expensive and difficult to get the ripe fruit up north.

Fresh sweet corn picked off the stalk is utterly delicious. Canned corn, even at home, is less delicious. The chicken you ring the neck of is usually older and not producing eggs anymore. The eggs are divine, the chicken is more stringy and tough. How often do you actually think a hog is butchered? Not very often because they are sold for profit.

. The availability and variety of foods today evens out the advantages of fresh, seasonal food that may or may not have been available in the past.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:47 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,292,014 times
I would imagine that some things tasted better and other things didn't. Most of the raw ingredients were of a better quality, but I think people were much less educated about how to make a tasty meal in general (though it would likely vary from culture to culture) and things outside of their region or culture.

Because of my exposure to a wide variety of cultures, television cooking shows and just the fact that food is cheaper these days and I can afford to experiment, I cook with a wide range of ingredients. My grandmothers did not. They had very little beyond salt and pepper in the spice cupboards. I roast or saute veggies whereas they inevitably boiled them. I understand more about nutrition and how to make lighter fare.

My grandmothers could roast a turkey, make a pot roast, bake cookies or a cake, etc., and they could slap together a very basic meal or soup with pretty much anything. But they didn't know much about making a good tomato sauce (neither side is Italian), how to make a boneless skinless chicken breast into a delightful meal (rather than a bland slab of meat), how to stir fry an Asian-style meal, what to do with a butternut squash, etc. They both grew up poor and they didn't really try new things or know what to do with ingredients that were even slightly exotic. Because they grew up in a time when food safety was a concern, meat and veggies tended to be overcooked. (Two of my friends grew up with a mother who is older and had a poor and rural childhood, and she uses similar cooking approaches.)

Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,200,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
if you could compare basic foods from back around 1895 -1900 to foods now, do you think some of the foods would still be about the same?

would a fresh cold glass of milk back in 1895 taste the same as todays milk?

how about bacon , ham & eggs, toast , butter? bowl of oatmeal

steaks would probably be tough and chewy back then? baked goods would probably taste richer from the lard?
Everything would have less salt. Things such as lamb would not need to come from New Zealand. Fewer preservatives in everything and maybe less cancer as a result. Have you ever had a chicken or turkey that was killed that day. It's what food should taste like.

On the other hand

There weren't standards to prevent bacterial contamination and no antibiotics once you got sick.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:59 PM

19,520 posts, read 22,402,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Fresh sweet corn picked off the stalk is utterly delicious. Canned corn, even at home, is less delicious. The chicken you ring the neck of is usually older and not producing eggs anymore. The eggs are divine, the chicken is more stringy and tough. How often do you actually think a hog is butchered? Not very often because they are sold for profit.
Thank-you- seems some don't quite get that. Corn right from the stalk is nothing like store bought corn. Nothing.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 PM

15,118 posts, read 27,607,172 times
I didn't read the threads - no idea why the OP picked those dates and no idea what food tasted like over 100 yrs. ago!

Old 09-26-2015, 03:23 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,663,467 times
I wasn't around back in 1890, but if I had the chance, I'd take the food from back then to the garbage we get today.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:38 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,169,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naif12 View Post
Old timers here always say that food and drinks in their childhood were far healthier and do have proper taste/flavor.
Old people always think everything was better when they were young.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:20 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,172,791 times
Peaches and tomatoes just 50 years ago were way better, even store bought. Steaks were more marbled just 20 years ago. 115 years ago? I couldn't say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink