Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times

Advertisements

Question for all the chefs out there.

When you are tasting multiple dishes or critiquing dishes of trainees, does one have to clear the palate prior to moving on to the next meal in order to acquire distinct flavors? And if so, what is used?

For example, I know coffee grounds are used to clear the nasal palate.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 11:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
When you are tasting multiple dishes or critiquing dishes of trainees, does one have to clear the palate prior to moving on to the next meal in order to acquire distinct flavors? And if so, what is used?

For example, I know coffee grounds are used to clear the nasal palate.

Some use plain water to clear out the palate.

If I am testing a series of sauces, I use pretzels. They seem to do a good job at removing other flavors in your mouth.

If I am testing something with a significant amount of heat, I like to use plain or vanilla frozen yogurt or sour cream.

Over the years, I have done dozens of judgings and taste testings.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:00 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

If I am testing a series of sauces, I use pretzels. They seem to do a good job at removing other flavors in your mouth.

If I am testing something with a significant amount of heat, I like to use plain or vanilla frozen yogurt or sour cream.

That's pretty impressive. I really appreciate the response.

Reason being is last night I was at dinner and I had a pasta dish with beef and mushroom sauce while the lady had hers with marinara. I tasted hers and wasn't impressed at all but was wondering if it was due to the conflicting flavors.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

taste is so linked to memory , must be difficult to be totally objective/unbias'd

do you clean your tongue off before tastings???

ive always found the tasting judging very interesting

Old 10-13-2015, 09:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
taste is so linked to memory , must be difficult to be totally objective/unbias'd

do you clean your tongue off before tastings???

ive always found the tasting judging very interesting

My most recent taste testing involved 200 mustards in about 10 different categories over two days. The mustards were separated by categories (classic yellow, horseradish, sweet, dijons, pepper, alcohol flavored, etc.).

Basically, it was take a sample of about 1/8 tsp of mustard. Let it rest in your mouth for a moment. Swallow. Eat 2-3 terribly bland pretzels and a couple of sips of water. In MOST cases, there was no real carryover.

The horseradish mustards and the pepper mustards required more cleansing of the palate.

I have also judged contests at various Midwestern state fairs. Those were more difficult as you were expected to explain why one contestant's food item was better than another.

======================================

When I started in the food business, we used to do a LOT of can cuttings. We would purchase #10 cans of several brands of a fruit and vegetable and would have to evaluate the quality of the canned product and determine that each sample met the product standards laid out by the state's purchasing specifications. That was the FUN part.

The UNFUN part of the exercise was that the state would still buy the cheapest garbage which nearly never met their purchasing guidelines ... but it was a lot cheaper. Our cooks would have to dump out the canned green beans and remove the stems and other foreign material from the product.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
I would use something strongly-flavored but as different as possible from the dishes you are tasting to really clear the palate. Say, if you're taste-testing beef stews (heavy and meaty), a small spoonful of raspberry sorbet (crisp and sweet) would clear the decks nicely. Mint or green tea would work with a lot of foods. For spicy dishes like 4-alarm chili, you may have to regretfully resort to tequila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink