U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 PM

1,040 posts, read 816,944 times

Advertisements

If you're into cooking, do you have certain things you don't make homemade (because they don't taste better, or other reasons)?

Mine are:
  • pie crust (Pillsbury FTW!)
  • cornbread stuffing (Peppridge Farm)--Once I made homemade cornbread a few days before, dried it, used fresh herbs, etc...and it tasted exactly like Peppridge Farms. LOL
  • puff pastry (obviously)
  • mayo
  • vegetable broth
What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 09:27 PM

13,130 posts, read 18,756,894 times
Jiffy Mix corn bread.
Tamales because I buy them from Pochitos Tortilla Factory.
Canned tuna fish. I cannot even imagine attempting to can tuna.
Tortillas because it is just silly to make your own when you can buy 36 for $2 and they were made that morning.
Cured meats. Making your own salami will take months. And, lots of skill.
Eggs. Our HOA forbids chickens.
OJ. You cannot make it for less money unless you live in an orange grove.
Milk. Owning a cow is way too much work.
Cheese. See cured meats.
Beer. See cured meats.
Cheerios. I have seen the technology needed to make them. More money than I want to spend.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:10 PM

22,745 posts, read 21,804,424 times
Pillsbury pie crust is serviceable in a pinch, but it's not good.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:31 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,422,355 times
Cream of mushroom soup. Cream of anything.
Bullion.
Butter.
Smoked oysters.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:01 PM

5,514 posts, read 3,367,544 times
I disagree with several of these.

It takes me less than 2 minutes to make a cup of mayonnaise, and it's ridiculously cheap and much better than the jarred kind.

Fresh orange juice is much, much better than refrigerated or concentrate. Here I can buy 5 lbs of oranges at the farmer's market for $2 and squeeze them as needed. Even if it's a little more expensive than store bought, it's worth it.

Pie crust is very quick and easy when I use my mom's oil piecrust recipe. Everyone loves it and there's no cold butter, no ice water, none of that nonsense.

One thing I do buy is spaghetti/pasta sauce. I have made it from scratch, but it takes forever to blanch and peel all the tomatoes and cook them down. And if you start with canned tomatoes, there's not a lot of difference between that and just buying sauce.

Also: sourdough bread (don't want to mess around with starter)
plain yogurt (mine doesn't get thick enough)

Old 10-25-2015, 11:13 PM

280 posts, read 151,840 times
Applesauce...my grandma made the best apple sauce, but I didn't pick up the knack. If I get hankering for it, I buy a jar!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:31 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,345,103 times
Ghiradelli brownies. I have yet to taste from a bakery or baker/friend or recipes the texture the Ghiradelli brownies yields. Chewy but not moist/mushy/dry with that shiny crinkly crispy crust. I have one recipe that comes close but still not perfect.

Vigo or Zaharains red beans and rice. I add some country ham and it's perfect. I have tried homemade/restaurants but still prefer these brands.

Various chips. I have made my own "chips" but still can't beat those sodium/MSG laden bags of goodies.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 AM

2,894 posts, read 1,498,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Ghiradelli brownies. I have yet to taste from a bakery or baker/friend or recipes the texture the Ghiradelli brownies yields. Chewy but not moist/mushy/dry with that shiny crinkly crispy crust. I have one recipe that comes close but still not perfect.
Well, ya done gone and did it again.

Gotta stop at the store for the brownie mix.

Thanks a bunch, momtothree. I didn't want to run errands today and now I have a brownie jones going on. It's off to Jewel I go.

Sigh.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,345,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Well, ya done gone and did it again.

Gotta stop at the store for the brownie mix.

Thanks a bunch, momtothree. I didn't want to run errands today and now I have a brownie jones going on. It's off to Jewel I go.

Sigh.
You won't regret it, and they come in all sorts of flavors from milk chocolate to dark chocolate. Be forewarned..oh and I think it even comes with caramel and nuts....bwaahaahaaa.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,068,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I disagree with several of these.

Fresh orange juice is much, much better than refrigerated or concentrate. Here I can buy 5 lbs of oranges at the farmer's market for $2 and squeeze them as needed. Even if it's a little more expensive than store bought, it's worth it.
Well, the majority of the country doesn't have a farmer's market with oranges....forget 5 pounds of oranges for $2.....Can't even imagine that actually. I live in the heart of apple country and even 5 pounds of apples costs more than $2. Even if I pick my own apples it's more than $2 for 5 pounds.

Certain things I have made and have no interest in making again.....

Mayo
Butter (I'm not Amish and I'm not spending my day churning butter not that the Amish do either)
Ketchup
Smoked meats
Eggs
Bread/rolls the vast majority of the time
Canned tuna
Milk...not interested in owning a cow and all that entails
Cheeses
Variety of sausages, pepperoni
All meats...not into having my own chickens, turkeys, cows, pigs, sheep.....far too much work!
Crackers
Mustard
Some salad dressings
Some soups
Ice cream
Hot fudge
Caramel
Sprinkles - can you imagine making these?
Cereal
Candy
Chips

I also buy my produce at farmer's markets and grocery stores.

So I guess the answer really is whatever you can get at a grocery store! I'm not Laura Ingalls and don't really want to be. It's not like the pioneers had great lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or