Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,037 times

Advertisements

^^^^ lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 04:49 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
Since you know what the problem is but have still made no consistent effort to overcome it, maybe you should just surrender and eat out. You are clearly not interested in fixing this, so just admit it and get on with your life. Preparing food is just not your thing.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Is this my exwife? She could burn water. Anyway, use LOW heat, keep an eye on things, or get a Crockpot.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Since you know what the problem is but have still made no consistent effort to overcome it, maybe you should just surrender and eat out. You are clearly not interested in fixing this, so just admit it and get on with your life. Preparing food is just not your thing.
It's not that easy. I know what I should be doing and I do the same thing. Sometimes you need someone to remind you to set the timer.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:15 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's not that easy. I know what I should be doing and I do the same thing. Sometimes you need someone to remind you to set the timer.

If you need someone to remind you to set the timer when you are well aware that you will burn the food unless you set the timer, then the motivation to solve the problem is just not there, or you have way more problems than just burning food. At the point where you are willing to accept responsibility for setting the timer without making excuses, you will be on the way to solving the problem yourself. Expecting someone to swoop in and fix the problem for you will end in disappointment.

Or, you could just order takeout.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can also set the timer on your cell phone if you're just staying in the room and messing with your phone.
Or use your phone's alarm clock. Set 4 alarms at once for 10 minutes apart, or set the snooze to go off every ten minutes. Then there is no need to remember to reset the timer each time it goes off. It will just automatically go off in another 10 minutes on its own. And when the alarm goes off, go straight to the kitchen. Don't wait, or you'll forget and before you know it the next alarm is going off... or the smoke alarm is going off and dinner is burnt and ruined.

If after one of the 10 minutes the food looks like it only needs another 2 or 3 minutes, stay in the kitchen and wait those few minutes. If you must keep yourself busy, use those few minutes to clean/put away dishes, set the table, wipe down the counter tops, etc... Just do something that will only take a few minutes, but keeps you in the kitchen.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Move the smoke alarm closer to the kitchen , so the food will not burn long before you run there

Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,699 times
All 3 of my kids have ADD. The second one, Aspergers, and ADHD. They are all grown now, and cook excellent!

In your case,I would suggest, for the last 10 minutes of cooking, turn off the stove burner, or oven. Let it finish cooking like that. It will be fine.
Since you know this timing is a problem area, make an effort to remember it. Post it note, a timer. Anything that would help you.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
If you need someone to remind you to set the timer when you are well aware that you will burn the food unless you set the timer, then the motivation to solve the problem is just not there, or you have way more problems than just burning food. At the point where you are willing to accept responsibility for setting the timer without making excuses, you will be on the way to solving the problem yourself. Expecting someone to swoop in and fix the problem for you will end in disappointment.

Or, you could just order takeout.
I think I need the timer that Threerun linked to. If I'm wearing the timer, I won't forget to set it. If I hang it near the stove, I'll probably remember to use it--it's bright enough. While I haven't burned anything in a while, I do overcook/bake.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Set a timer...listen for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink