U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,225,966 times

Advertisements

Can anyone here share tips for boiling an egg?

What I am looking for, specifically, is how to boil eggs such that 1) you can get them out of the shell easily and 2) the egg looks nice for deviling, slicing for salads, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 PM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Can anyone here share tips for boiling an egg?

What I am looking for, specifically, is how to boil eggs such that 1) you can get them out of the shell easily and 2) the egg looks nice for deviling, slicing for salads, etc.
I put the eggs in pan with enough cold water to cover. Place on burner and turn to high. When water reaches a boil turn the burner off. Remove from heat, cover with pan lid and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove lid after 10 minutes and rinse eggs with cold water. Works beautifully everytime.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Smoky, I have cooked them that way for years -- so what am I doing wrong that the shells want to stick now? I end up with u-g-l-y peeled eggs that I just chop then for a salad.

This has happened several times. Someone once told me the eggs might not be fresh?

Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Smoky, I have cooked them that way for years -- so what am I doing wrong that the shells want to stick now? I end up with u-g-l-y peeled eggs that I just chop then for a salad.

This has happened several times. Someone once told me the eggs might not be fresh?
The best eggs to boil are the ones that are a bit older. They peel much easier. Here is the link to some tips. Tell if Eggs Are Fresh

Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 PM

3,750 posts, read 10,201,548 times
I have an egg cooker (one of those $15 fun appliances that a friend gave me for my birthday 10 years ago) - you make a small hole in the eggs, set them in, and flip the switch. They boil perfectly every time.

I will notice that I have moved and am now having an awful time with eggs (am on an electric cooktop in pans until I get the egg cooker unpacked). Fresh eggs / Old eggs - they all look terrible.

One thing I have noticed, we have very HARD water and I am wondering if that is making a difference. It wouldn't suprise me.

Good luck with your eggs!! I feel your pain!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the link. Odd that the suggestion is to use older eggs for boiling. I'll have to keep track of eggs, just out of curiosity. I have been able to find no rhyme or reason.

Tonight, Smoky, they turned out perfect -- just the way you suggested, and I have always done. So, go figure. At least they looked attractive on the salad for a change.

My husband says I should be putting vinegar in the water, but I thought was for dyeing eggs?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,045,500 times
I just saw this tip when the water is boiling add eith some salt or some vinegar this keeps the shell from cracking. also to make it easier to remove the shell leave
the eggs in cold water for around 5 minuters. I then crack them against the side of the sink. bt taping the egg gently.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 PM

RD - glad that the eggs came out perfect tonight!!! I usually put salt in the water that I cook the eggs in. I have used vinegar with good results, but the salt shaker is always closer and more convenient so that is what I use most.

Happy Cooking!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
make sure you move the egg around while boiling or you will end up with lop sided eggs.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 AM

I understand, Sunny. It does look funny to have deviled eggs with the filling hanging out the side of the thing.

I have a perfect little pot, just right for boiling about 8 eggs at a time. I am able to stand the eggs on end, and they turn out great -- when they turn out. I don't know what I've been doing wrong lately, although last night, I was trying to get dinner on the table, and I didn't let the eggs sit and cool for much longer than about 10 minutes.

Looking back, I wonder if I have been leaving them un-shelled for too long?

Thanks for the tips, ya'll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink