Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:11 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times

Advertisements

You said he doesn't like soup, but have you tried old timey soups like Oyster Stew or Potato Soup?

My FIL loved these with crackers or corn bread. You could add a little bacon to the potato soup. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Many years ago, I worked with a cardiologist to provide patients some diet counseling. He preferred having me work with certain patients as the Registered Dietitian that worked for me (6ft tall and 86 lbs.) was not getting through to some of the older patients.

The message he wanted me to get across to his older patients (75+) was to eat what they want in moderation. I would ask the patient to set up an appointment, bring along the cook, and meet with me. I would ask the patient what they liked to eat and tailor a menu that allowed them to eat what they wanted ... to a point, even though it was not part of the standard cardiac diet. He found that when patients ate what they liked to eat, that they were less likely to waste away. Then I was to encourage the patients to add a few healthier alternatives into the diet.

What I find helpful in 2015 is that so many large grocery stores have freshly, prepared food. I have found that bringing a wide variety of items often gets people to try a small portion of different items that they had not had before. It doesn't always work but often it does.

The KEY thing that you have to remember is that the portions should be very small. If you bring elderly patients a large meal, they get overwhelmed by it and often lose their appetites. We would serve small portions and encourage the patients to requests seconds if they wanted it.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
My grandpa before he passed away always spent his time exercising and eating right until he hit his 90s. As a kid I remember him always being in shape and fit.

When he hit 90, he started eating high calorie comfort food, candy (lots of chocolates), and other things that were not good for him. We asked him why and he said he felt his days were numbered so he was going to enjoy eating what he wants because health food isn't going to help him much at 90. He was right about his days being numbered because he died at 95.
and to many older people, again I am talking really old, like you are, food, though they may be picky, is something they enjoy. It might be one of the few things they get pleasure out of. Let them spend their last few years doing what they want. If it means no veggies, so what?

Old 12-05-2015, 12:02 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Ask him what food he enjoyed growing up. Get him to talking about those dishes and see how close you can come.

My mother loved white bean soup, cornbread, coleslaw, corned beef and cabbage, potato soup... the food she grew up on. When the assisted living place insisted on serving her "healthy meals" she steadily lost weight.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The KEY thing that you have to remember is that the portions should be very small. If you bring elderly patients a large meal, they get overwhelmed by it and often lose their appetites. We would serve small portions and encourage the patients to requests seconds if they wanted it.
Kill me now if this is what I have to look forward to in my dotage.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Kill me now if this is what I have to look forward to in my dotage.
Well, there are exceptions. My grandmother lived to 103 and always had a very hearty appetite. She ate like a horse all through her 90s. And for decades before that. She was also a great cook, and just an all-around food lover. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Well, there are exceptions. My grandmother lived to 103 and always had a very hearty appetite. She ate like a horse all through her 90s. And for decades before that. She was also a great cook, and just an all-around food lover. Different strokes for different folks.
I like to cook, too, and am also an all-around food lover. Thank you for your, and your grandma's, sane perspective.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:22 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Wow! I got some great feed back. Thank you!

He does have diabetes. His daughter said that he used to eat everything before, but now, he says that he just is not hungry. Poor appetite.

The daughter has a whole freezer full of frozen foods. Yikes!
I avoid them as much as possible, and try to fix more protein like chicken, fish, etc. that's what the nurse is wanting him to eat and get more of is protein, but I am kind of at a stand still, just fixing the same ol stuff.

appreciate the ideas!
I guess you are his caregiver and not a relative? Hopefully you can get him to eat something from all the suggestions here. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
if I make it to that age ,,,I will eat all my favorites..

im not going out in a wimper,,,I came in this world in a crash and land,,and that's how im going out...

but then again, if I make it to that age I will be living proof you can eat thousands of lobsters, clams, cows, pigs, and chicken,,,,and still live to be over 80!!

I already told me son if im a window licker, and getting fed veggies thru a tube or straw,,,,shoot me..

Old 12-05-2015, 05:15 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The ancient Romans used an anchovy sauce in many dishes. It was called garum and its available today under other names. It's expensive, but not much is needed. There are several brands. Oriental cuisines often use similar but inferior sauces.

Live to eat!

http://smile.amazon.com/Nettuno-Cola...keywords=garum

My friend, that is NOT ancient Roman garum. Garum was made from fermented fish intestines. Your link shows something more akin to modern oyster sauce, which most people could eat without hurling, making it quite different from the Roman delicacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink