Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:15 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

I'm always mystified this time of year by all the people who announce that they don't like turkey, yet they are cooking a turkey, anyway. There are so many delicious things to cook for a festive meal. There is no reason to cook a turkey if you don't like turkey.

I am also mystified over all the "dry turkey" remarks. What do you have to do to get a dry turkey? I've probably cooked over a hundred turkeys, and I don't do anything special except to put the turkey in the roaster pan, put the lid on, and bake them until the drumsticks split. The meat is never dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 02:18 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
I love my turkey, so this time of year is great. Mine are never dry either, but always looking on ways to improve, or for unusual recipes. We like to change up the flavors, so it doesn't get boring.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I didn't make turkey. Thanksgiving should be about food you feel thankful for. I made mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans (real, not that casserole caca), and cranberries (again, real). Turkey is lunchmeat.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:31 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
From your header, I thought that some mean person fed you mystery meat disguised as turkey. Whew. Glad that wasn't the case.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:37 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I don't like turkey - moist or dry. I don't cook turkey. Ever.
Like you said, there are many other delicious things to cook. So, sometimes I don't understand people who always cook turkey for holidays. Every single holiday: Thanksgiving, X-mas, Easter and more...
Keeping up with tradition, or not curious to try something else??

Old 12-04-2015, 04:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
turkey is delicious, I could eat it every other day..

its a wonder I don't gobble

Old 12-04-2015, 04:51 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I know someone who cooks turkey for Thanksgiving although she is vegetarian. She makes the turkey for her guests who aren't vegetarian.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm always mystified this time of year by all the people who announce that they don't like turkey, yet they are cooking a turkey, anyway. There are so many delicious things to cook for a festive meal. There is no reason to cook a turkey if you don't like turkey.

I am also mystified over all the "dry turkey" remarks. What do you have to do to get a dry turkey? I've probably cooked over a hundred turkeys, and I don't do anything special except to put the turkey in the roaster pan, put the lid on, and bake them until the drumsticks split. The meat is never dry.

I want to address BOTH points.

Personally, if it was up to me, I would NEVER cook a turkey. I would much prefer a crown roast of pork or a prime rib of beef. However, if I would prepare that for my EXTENDED family, I would be drawn and quartered. They demand turkey for Thanksgiving and also, to a lesser extent, ham. Ham is always served because my uncle disliked turkey. However, he died in 1981 but the tradition continues.

I ran a commercial kitchen for over ten years, I have cooked perhaps 1000 turkeys over the year and I do not remember one being undercooked nor one that was dry. First, instead of worrying about how long to cook the birds, I would focus on cooking to the proper temperature.

Never once did I have to brine a bird. Instead, I used a meat thermometer, roasted low and slow, and made sure that ALL the birds were completely 100% thawed out at least one day prior to cooking. This could be easily accomplished by 1) procuring a fresh bird which is easy these days or 2) pulling the frozen birds 5-6 days early to thaw. Too many people try to cook a half frozen bird which is a recipe for disaster.

When I lived in NE Illinois and had a Woodman's store handy, I would buy by turkey breasts and turkey saddles (think legs and thighs with the breast removed). That way, I could ensure that I had enough dark meat. I would cook one breast and two saddles. That way, I could adjust my cooking times which were much lower.

I think that this is a superior approach to my MIL who buys a turkey with two pop-up indicators - one to indicate that the turkey is done and the other a flag of surrender.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:24 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
We stopped eating turkey for Thanksgiving years ago. Steak and lobster instead. No leftovers.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I ran a commercial kitchen for over ten years, I have cooked perhaps 1000 turkeys over the year and I do not remember one being undercooked nor one that was dry. First, instead of worrying about how long to cook the birds, I would focus on cooking to the proper temperature.
What temperature did you cook them to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think that this is a superior approach to my MIL who buys a turkey with two pop-up indicators - one to indicate that the turkey is done and the other a flag of surrender.
I once cooked a friend's turkey for Thanksgiving that had one of those gizmos. He would not allow me to take the turkey out when it was done because the gizmo failed to pop up. He insisted on keeping it in for another hour, at least, and I finally balled up my apron and said "We are serving this now."

And of course, it was the dryest turkey I ever made. He was afraid people would sue him, it turned out, if the turkey was undercooked. He would not trust me. We didn't talk for awhile, mainly because by the next day, he was so embarrassed by the way he acted the day before.

I've completely given up on turkey. I don't like it that much. Thanksgiving should be about foods for which you feel thankful. This year, I made all the sides, but no turkey. Other years, it's seafood (oyster stew to start, and salmon as the main course); or else Lasagne Bolognese. Turkey is lunchmeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink