Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,687,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I can only think of one or two times when I have asked for something to be warmed up, or cooked a bit more. I can do med rare, but rare, no. I have asked for a clean wine glass, one without someone else's lipstick on it. Once, I took a bite of chicken, and it was spoiled. In all cases I was polite and patient.

I have told before about my friend, AKA, TFWDLA (the friend who doesn't like anything). She will order something in a restaurant, but send it back just because she doesn't like it. The way she asks is rude, too. Not because there is anything wrong with it. This is very unfair, I think. I bet she has had her food tampered with before.
One place I worked would not reheat food. I guess for sanitary reasons, especially if you cut into it and tried it, they should not put something back on the grill that had a fork with your slobber on it. They also did not have a microwave. So if you sent a steak back, you had to wait 10 minutes or however long for a new one to be cooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eascoaswing View Post
I only get upset over filthy things like hair and lipstick. Hell, I worked in food service and I know common roaches are so I don't lose it when I see one.. I typically remove it with a napkin and quietly hand it off to an employee telling them that's not something people don't like to see.
One time a party of about 8 of us were at a what we thought was decent asian restaurant with a lounge and large dining room with 50 tables. Half way into our meal someone sees a cockroach it had fallen off the tablecloth and almost landed on my cousin. , we were at a corner table. We call the server over and he smashes it with his bare palm against the wall. We all lost our appetite. We called the manager over but he did not comp us and we had to pay for the meal that no one could finish, I think I was in my late teens at the time, there is no way I would put up with that or pay without the cops coming and filing a police report and the health department investigating, oh we could not have paid for the meals.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretBartley View Post
I don't like spicey food. I don't mean garlic and cinamon, I mean I don't like food that hurts - chili oil, jalopenos, etc. I live in a northern, working-class town and a lot of others are the same, and the Mexican, Thai, Indian restaurants are familiar with our tastes. In the past years, though, more immigrants have come and have not bothered to learn the local tastes, and also, local tastes have changed, and a lot more people like spicey food. I'm not interested in having a debate about how food should be prepared, but I do think restauranteurs should know what "No stars" means. My theory is that when I very clearly state that I don't like food that hurts, and that I want "No stars", the wait staff should tell me if the dish I'm ordering can be prepared that way, or if I should order something else. If I order "No stars" and it arrives with hot chili oil in it that ruins it for me, I am only reinforcing to the staff that "No stars" means "1 star" or "2 stars". I know always send back food that is too spicey, that is, that has any hotness to it at all. I had to send back the food twice when the owner thought he could just take the meat out of the broth and put it in some soy sauce and lemon juice and water, and throw in some raw vegies from the salad tray, but the meat was still unacceptably hot, and he tried to tell me that it wasn't hot! He flat out lied. Almost every restaurant has at least one menu item that is not spicey, and I don't think it's asking too much for the staff to be honest abuot what items are mild and what ones are spicey.
Why would you go to a restaurant where the cuisine is normally spicy?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Once I brought two individually wrapped brownies back from lunch because the place I was at made REALLY good brownies. I gave one to one lady in my office and another to another lady. As soon as I handed the second lady the brownie she shot up and walked over to the first to check to see who got the bigger brownie! She did it right in front of me and was complaining really loud the entire time over to the other lady. The thing was I just gave them to the ladies for free. I never got them anything again.

That is a child walking around in an adult body. I don't tolerate people like that and I would let them know how childish they were being.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:38 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,468,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
One time a party of about 8 of us were at a what we thought was decent asian restaurant with a lounge and large dining room with 50 tables. Half way into our meal someone sees a cockroach it had fallen off the tablecloth and almost landed on my cousin. , we were at a corner table. We call the server over and he smashes it with his bare palm against the wall. We all lost our appetite. We called the manager over but he did not comp us and we had to pay for the meal that no one could finish, I think I was in my late teens at the time, there is no way I would put up with that or pay without the cops coming and filing a police report and the health department investigating, oh we could not have paid for the meals.
I do not understand this part. Are you saying you ordered food you could not pay for?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,703,986 times
Three people you don't to anger or get on their bad side: IRS, Mailman, and your waiter.

They control what's in your dish. You sure don't want any special sauce in there.

Also, someone with a peanut allergy should never eat at a Thai restaurant. That's like asking someone with a chicken allergy eating at KFC

Also used to work at Thai restaurant. We always had a certain group of people come in 5 minutes before close (9pm). It just wasn't a couple, but a whole household of at least 8. And since they were vegetarian they requested vegetarian sauce. And they were bad tippers (meaning they pretty much didn't tip at all). Yeah, what a fun group.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:46 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,703,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Why would you go to a restaurant where the cuisine is normally spicy?
My thoughts exactly. Thai, Mexican, and Indian cuisine are spicy cuisines. Just in how they are prepared. The spice is in the broth, sauce, etc. You just can't take it out to zero stars. It's in there already. If you like absolutely no spice try some european cuisines but not the ones you listed.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,798,250 times
I've returned food exactly twice. Both times because the order was wrong. Same local Italian place. They've got great food, but really poor service and apparently hearing issues.

First time:

A couple of coworkers and I were eating in. Two of us ordered the cheese manicotti. She ordered it with the regular marinara, I ordered it with the alfredo. Easy, right? Apparently not because we both ended up with chicken in it. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't like their chicken, which is why I get the cheese only version. We both complained about it and they comped only the difference between the cost of the version with chicken and without (like $2). I ended up picking all the chicken out.

Second time:

Takeout order. Same coworkers, exact same order (with two of us ordering the manicotti, etc). Get it back and both of them have ground beef in them (and I absolutely despise their ground beef because it has fennel and caraway seed in it). I call and I'm told that they will replace the meal if I bring the original back. They won't offer me a meal the next time I come in or anything. So I had to drive all the way back over there. The person at the takeout counter said she thought they got manicotti confused with ziti. Ooooook....

I will normally only do so if it's something major (like in the second case I wouldn't eat the meal at all).

I know a few of those picky people that will order a meal with a ton of changes (leave this off, add this, cook it in this) and then get ticked when it's not perfect. I usually want to hide under the table.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:45 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,281,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretBartley View Post
I don't like spicey food. I don't mean garlic and cinamon, I mean I don't like food that hurts - chili oil, jalopenos, etc. I live in a northern, working-class town and a lot of others are the same, and the Mexican, Thai, Indian restaurants are familiar with our tastes. In the past years, though, more immigrants have come and have not bothered to learn the local tastes, and also, local tastes have changed, and a lot more people like spicey food. I'm not interested in having a debate about how food should be prepared, but I do think restauranteurs should know what "No stars" means. My theory is that when I very clearly state that I don't like food that hurts, and that I want "No stars", the wait staff should tell me if the dish I'm ordering can be prepared that way, or if I should order something else. If I order "No stars" and it arrives with hot chili oil in it that ruins it for me, I am only reinforcing to the staff that "No stars" means "1 star" or "2 stars". I know always send back food that is too spicey, that is, that has any hotness to it at all. I had to send back the food twice when the owner thought he could just take the meat out of the broth and put it in some soy sauce and lemon juice and water, and throw in some raw vegies from the salad tray, but the meat was still unacceptably hot, and he tried to tell me that it wasn't hot! He flat out lied. Almost every restaurant has at least one menu item that is not spicey, and I don't think it's asking too much for the staff to be honest abuot what items are mild and what ones are spicey.
If you don't like "foods that hurt" (an odd expression by the way), why in the world would you go to a type of restaurant where the use of chiles is typical of the cuisine?

Old 12-10-2015, 02:26 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,533,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I was at a Thai restaurant recently and the people next to my table had a really picky person , he actually ordered something and kept sending it back, and they had to keep remaking a new order, he sent it back at least three times

when a customer does something like this does he only pay for one meal, even if he wasted the previous orders that were not made good enough for him?

I think he was complaining about nuts, he didnt want any type of nuts in his food

he complained and kept sending his food back so many times, I was done and left before he got his order
I think that's ridiculous. The restaurant maybe should have agreed that they couldn't satisfy him, and asked him and his party to leave without paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink