Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times

Advertisements

I was at a Thai restaurant recently and the people next to my table had a really picky person , he actually ordered something and kept sending it back, and they had to keep remaking a new order, he sent it back at least three times

when a customer does something like this does he only pay for one meal, even if he wasted the previous orders that were not made good enough for him?

I think he was complaining about nuts, he didnt want any type of nuts in his food

he complained and kept sending his food back so many times, I was done and left before he got his order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Maybe the customer has a nut allergy? If I had a food allergy that was serious like that and placed an order under the request that the allergen be avoided (then was made to believe that request could be accomplished), I'd send it back too. Heck, if it's totally screwed up and yucky, even without an allergy, then I don't want to pay for it either. Of course I'm not going to pay for someone else's mistake! I know how hard everyone works in a restaurant kitchen, believe me, but if it's wrong it's wrong. Maybe we shouldn't assume that you were just seeing a "picky" person... You don't really know the details of what was going on there. Can't judge either way.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:55 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Yes....a "friend" of ours is NEVER satisfied...it gets embarrassing!

Someone with a "nut" allergy should NOT go to a Thai restaurant. Period.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:52 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I've only noticed it happening once for various reasons, ie: not what person ordered, steak too over cooked/not cooked, it's happened to Mr C and I. Think it was meant for another table as it came out way too soon.
I wonder if that last reason counts towards "sending back"?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Explicitly stating an order of grilled chicken then having to unwrap to see that the item inside was fried not grilled
Sometimes one doesn't have time to go back to say the order was wrong but when I do, I try to remember to check. Sometimes it is more effective to submit your own order - ie: a la Sheetz, or similar. Unfortunately, there are not too many of those around.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
One of the gals in a Bridge group I play with is the happiest when she is unhappy. About a year ago we were at our weekly lunch and bridge. Sent her burger back 3 times: 1st it wasn't rare like the ordered it; second time it was cold and 3rd time, it came with mushrooms, which was the burger special of the day. She asked them to hold the mushrooms or maybe it was visa versa. Anyway she just finally told them just to forget it. BTW, the time it was cold, you could see it really was not. Thank goodness she doesn't play that often.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:03 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
No.

I would honestly be embarrassed to be out dining with someone like that.

Additionally that person should always be made aware that their pickiness may result in a hidden surprise in their remade dish.

I almost never send food back.

However, I am a stickler about clean dinnerware and glasses, and if there's dried food or lipstick on any of it (and this happens frequently), I kindly ask the waiter/waitress to exchange the item(s).

Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,089 times
I've seen it. Last time at Pei Wei it took them three tries to get it right. And I mean it was really really wrong. We decided to get our money back and leave, didn't trust the cooks at this point.

25% of the time Pei Wei gets it wrong. I have to be very careful there, due to allergies. Too bad chains take over, not a lot of options nearby.

If it is returned and still wrong usually I leave. I'm not that picky either but a pasta dish ice cold, microwaved only and served now tepid, no thanks. And yet I hear how much servers ***** about "picky" customers, I mean really. Sorry, the place doesn't care about my business anyway obviously.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Well, some people just do that to be dinkweeds. My grandfather was a legend in that regard -- he would literally send something back to the kitchen 10x. Too much salt. Not enough salt. These potatoes are the wrong shape. This is stone cold. I was a different sauce.

If the restaurant keeps getting it wrong, that is a different matter.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I've never seen somebody send things back multiple times, personally. I'm sure it happens, I've just never seen it. I've seen something get sent back (once) because it was wrong (not what was ordered, or how it was ordered, or came with something that hadn't been specified that caused an allergy issue or something). But not multiple sending back of things. It seems like it's likely to happen with people who are concerned about a health/quality issue...that being the case, it doesn't seem like sending it back multiple times is going to fix any quality issue, by any means. If I had a big enough problem with a restaurant's food that it necessitated sending something back numerous times,I think I'd just leave, post a yelp review about the problem, and not go back.

Barring a restaurant just being bad, I do think that people who routinely send food back repeatedly because it's not to their level of specification whenever and wherever they go out are people who don't need to dine out, to be honest. If you are that particular, cook at home, or have your personal chef do it for you, or whatever.

My grandma worked in restaurants all her life. When she would dine out, she was THE WORST about making a stink about the silverware "not being clean," even if it was, glasses being printed (even if they weren't), etc. She would actually hold the silverware up and make a big show of examining it in the light, and usually deem it "filthy" with a distasteful facial expression (an expression that entered the vernacular of my family, in fact, we call any disgusted, curled lip expression a "dirty fork face" in tongue-in-cheek homage to my grandma). This happened whether or not the silverware was perfectly clean, I'm sure. Because she ALWAYS did it, and what are the odds that, no matter where you are, the flatware is ALWAYS insufficiently cleaned? It was the worst. She also was hypercritical of servers, because she'd been a server and managed servers for so many years. Sometimes it goes the other way, where lifelong service industry folk are more forgiving of those in their same shoes...sometimes not. Sometimes you can't measure up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink