Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

The only ones I eat regularly are canned soup (Progresso) and non-organic produce. I will occasionally eat a bagel & cc, coffee ice cream, and Doritos. Nothing else on the list has ever appealed to me. I'm glad they didn't list sea salt caramel gelato (Talenti) or Late July corn chips.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
In another 3 or 4 years, this list will change and half of the stuff on it will be desirable.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well so at 64 I'm supposed to eat what exactly. I'll eat what I want and if I want pizza for breakfast with a coke, I'll have it. Geeze food police, enough.
I'll be 64 next bday. I still love oreos and pizza and a lot of the stuff on their list. And nobody gets between me and my cup of coffee, and I mean fresh brewed black silk. I buy oreos only occasionally since they don't keep. I get dehydrated easily in summer and keep stuff like doritos around since it gets salt in you quickly.

The people who make absolute pronoucements should remember that everything in *moderation* is a good place to aim for. This includes exercise and overdoing it, and good/bad foods in absolutes.

Life isn't about absolute declarations but balance and free will.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:44 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
My mother nearly made it to 90 and had skin like a baby's butt, and she ate a lot of canned soup. She also ate tons of candy & cookies. She was thin as a rail. Of course, she didn't smoke or drink, except for an occasional brandy alexander. It's really more genetics, IMO.
It is genetics. My mother made it to 86 and she looked terrific. She had a full head of hair and very nice skin despite the fact that she'd smoked for 30 years and drank alcohol. She drank diet soda for a couple of decades and was a sucker for every convenience food that came along. When she stopped smoking and drinking, she ate far too many sweets. She also used to grease herself up with baby oil and lie out in the sun. She got a burn nearly every year.

She did gain weight in the last five years because she was much less active and didn't change her eating habits. Well, good for her. She did as she pleased.

My husband's grandmother missed 100 by a few months. When she was in her 80's, she used to go out nearly every Friday for cocktails and dancing with her girlfriends!

There's a downside to those good genes. Nona buried three husbands and two children. All of her friends were gone.

I think I'm fry some bacon and have a couple of drinks tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:19 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
My mother nearly made it to 90 and had skin like a baby's butt, and she ate a lot of canned soup. She also ate tons of candy & cookies. She was thin as a rail. Of course, she didn't smoke or drink, except for an occasional brandy alexander. It's really more genetics, IMO.
This is what my dad thought too. His grandparents, parents and aunts and uncles lived into their late 80s or 90s on average. His dad died at the youngest age -- 82 if I recall.. many of his older brothers flew from Oklahoma to California to attend the funeral. Dad didn't smoke or drink, but he ate what he wanted. He'd have red meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner and didn't take care to get his proper serving of fruits and vegetables. He died at age 52 from colon cancer. I don't know how his grandparents and aunts and uncles ate, but his parents would eat tomato slices for breakfast and garden fresh produce throughout the day. That's probably why they lived so long.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:20 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times
Wow. I'm 57 and after reading that list, I surprised to still be alive! I don't eat many things on the list, but I enjoy the ones that I do eat. I don't understand the point of living to be 90 if you can't enjoy your food. Once we reach a certain age, eating foods we like is one of the few pleasures we can still manage.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
[QUOTE. Miss Hepburn;42260430]No scientific proof...but I don't eat bottomfeeders or nutrasweet/apartame
or anything not organic now.[/quote]

well most of us do and will be 80 in a little over a year: am healthy, do not even have grey hair, and most people are shocked to find out how old I am. With the exception of being overweight I seem to have no health problems. I will continue to eat what I want, when I want. I will add, we do eat healthy with few processed foods, but no way can I say or do I want to say, I eat only organic. I will add, that list is a joke, you shouldn't eat Doritos, but other chips are ok? Let's get real!!!!!,

Old 12-13-2015, 05:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It is genetics. My mother made it to 86 and she looked terrific. She had a full head of hair and very nice skin despite the fact that she'd smoked for 30 years and drank alcohol. She drank diet soda for a couple of decades and was a sucker for every convenience food that came along. When she stopped smoking and drinking, she ate far too many sweets. She also used to grease herself up with baby oil and lie out in the sun. She got a burn nearly every year.

She did gain weight in the last five years because she was much less active and didn't change her eating habits. Well, good for her. She did as she pleased.

My husband's grandmother missed 100 by a few months. When she was in her 80's, she used to go out nearly every Friday for cocktails and dancing with her girlfriends!

There's a downside to those good genes. Nona buried three husbands and two children. All of her friends were gone.

I think I'm fry some bacon and have a couple of drinks tomorrow.
thank you for sharing....
a smile to start the day..

lay out in the sun....my mother and sister and all the other women of the neighborhood did this.... for a "tan"
and yes,,,decades ago it seemed everyone smoked,,cooked in Crisco..

my god, and still make it to a ripe old age

my grandmother was a type 1 diabetic, had to shoot up everyday , she smoked for 50 yrs, and drank ....didn't she love happy hour!

she ate what she wanted - bacon, steaks, pork chops (not sweets)

and she lived well beyond 85

Old 12-13-2015, 06:58 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Eat well, exercise regularly, don't smoke, die anyway.
I'm 74, don't eat well, don't exercise, quit smoking a couple years ago, and just keep on keeping on.
I might even make it to my 75th birthday, IF I ignore the health nuts' recommendations.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Never say never. I will eat what I want until I am 120. After 120 I will start to watch what I ear more closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink