Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:48 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times

Advertisements

Any ideas. I am new to herbs and spices and I am always afraid to experiment because if I make something like chili or a stew and then I add a spice or herb and it ruins it then its a lot of work for nothing. Maybe there are some generally used herbs and spices that won't ruin a dish. also, the combination of spices and herbs worries me because what if a combination makes a dish taste like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 10:52 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
It depends on what you are making. I tend to use parsley or chives in a lot of vegetable dishes and usually both together.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Read up on herbs, read recipe books, etc. They will give you an idea of what herbs complement what foods. Some are much more versatile than others.

Also bear in mind that different varieties of herbs may work better in different types of cuisine. For instance, the types of basil used most commonly in Italian cooking are different than the types used in Thai cooking, and switching them around would make each cuisine taste odd, because the different types of basil have different flavor profiles.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:41 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Cilantro and cumin for Mexican dishes.
Basil and oregano for Italian.
Thyme for roasts, poultry.
Rosemary for poultry, white beans, lamb.
I also use Bouquet Garni for stews and 'herbs de provence' for vegetable dishes.
I use Bay leaves for roasts and stews and poultry.
I also use paprika in pork roasts and stews.

That isn't all of them. I also use cinnamon and star anise, cardamom, parsley, dill, chives. I agree with others about getting a book and I also recommend you start your own herb garden. I do mine in clay pots placed in various parts of the yard depending on the sun/shade requirements of the herbs

Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Try Morton's Seasoned Salt, it's a blend of spices, they make a lower sodium one too, you can try it by just putting some one top of vegetables to see if you like it.

If you like garlic or onion you can buy garlic powder or onion powder. Paprika adds nice flavor. Cumin and Oregano do to meats and pork. Thyme and Rosemary are good on chicken and turkey. I use the seasoned salt on fish.

Just go to a friends home and check out their spice rack and smell them or taste a small amount.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Add a tiny bit at a time and check if that's enough for your taste.
In doubt use this guide:
http://www.workman.com/static/assets...rbandSpice.pdf
http://www.foodandnutrition.com/appe...pice_chart.htm

Old 12-15-2015, 12:39 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
I use cilantro in just about everything. It perks up the flavor.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:45 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I few years ago, a coworker was just learning to cook and asked me a similar question. I referred them to this website. Season This With That: A Quick Guide to Common Spices for Common Dishes | The Kitchn

I'd also recommend staying away from the pre-blended seasoning salts (sorry, so954). They aren't teaching you how to cook (which should be part of the goal) and often add more salt that anything else to your dish. I admit, I am a great fan of garlic power and onion powder (not garlic salt and onion salt, though).

Old 12-15-2015, 01:43 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Add a tiny bit at a time and check if that's enough for your taste.
In doubt use this guide:
http://www.workman.com/static/assets...rbandSpice.pdf
Herb & Spice Chart
The workman list is excellent. Spot on.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I never use dried basil. Nasty substance. Fresh basil, OTOH, is one of God's gifts. I wouldn't use it on chili, but it would be great chopped at the last minute and sprinkled on a stew or a salad. Italian parsley works well, too.

With chili, I don't usually add an herb at the end, just sour cream, as I've used ancho chile, chipotle, and cumin in making the chili. But cilantro is very good if you like cilantro (a lot of people don't). I like it, but it's too much for me in chili. You could also chop scallions (try just the bottoms) and sprinkle them on chili.

A lot of times, though, all the extra spice you need is freshly ground pepper, and maybe salt. I prefer to put salt in my food rather than on my food, however. Tastes better to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink