Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 01:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Switched over to brown rice entirely for cooking a few years ago. In fact, I don't think I use white rice at all anymore, not even in the Chinese Buffet (use either noodles or fried rice as a base to soak up the sauces of the "meats").

There might be a bag of it somewhere, maybe, for emergency rations but it has dropped entirely out of my diet if I have any say in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 01:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I eat brown rice most of the time, but I really love white rice, especially with Chinese food. I rarely eat it though. I tend to eat sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, barley, quinoa, etc. more than either white or brown rice, though.

I have a lot of friends from the Philippines who think I'm nuts because I opt for brown rice. I remember saying to one friend, "You've actually recommended to me that I try the fish head casserole at the Chinese restaurant down the street, but brown rice instead of white rice is a bridge too far? Really?"

She was totally unmoved.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:15 PM

620 posts, read 638,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Switched over to brown rice entirely for cooking a few years ago. In fact, I don't think I use white rice at all anymore, not even in the Chinese Buffet (use either noodles or fried rice as a base to soak up the sauces of the "meats").
This statement confuses me ... Do you mean that you get noodles or fried rice instead of white rice? Fried rice is usually made with white rice. If it's brown in color, it's usually due to soy sauce.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
This statement confuses me ... Do you mean that you get noodles or fried rice instead of white rice? Fried rice is usually made with white rice. If it's brown in color, it's usually due to soy sauce.
The Chinese Buffet here offers yellow rice which I believe is fried rice, two types of noodles, and then steamed white rice.

I have never taken the steamed white rice.

As it is, in tonight's stew, a Bouillebaise with mackerel and salmon in an Chilean Chardonnay, I had three scoops of brown rice.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
The Chinese Buffet here offers yellow rice which I believe is fried rice, two types of noodles, and then steamed white rice. I have never taken the steamed white rice.
Fried rice is white rice, it is typically made from yesterday's steamed rice & is cooked with dark soy sauce or tamari sauce

Old 12-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Fried rice is white rice, it is typically made from yesterday's steamed rice & is cooked with dark soy sauce or tamari sauce
BE THAT AS IT MAY, I don't often eat at the Chinese Buffet and when I do, I don't often eat the rice.......

but I use rice at home, 2-3 times a week, if not more, and when I do,

it's brown rice.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
BE THAT AS IT MAY, I don't often eat at the Chinese Buffet and when I do, I don't often eat the rice....... but I use rice at home, 2-3 times a week, if not more, and when I do,
it's brown rice.
I'm not convinced that brown rice is better for you than white rice but I do understand someone preferring the flavor (my husband is a brown rice guy ) Why White Rice Is Healthier Than Brown Rice (And Why It's a Paleo Approved Safe Starch)

Old 12-20-2015, 04:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I prefer the taste of white rice.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:20 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I prefer brown rice due to it being healthier. I don't find the taste and texture of it to be inferior enough to warrant white rice. However, I'll eat it if I don't have a choice (e.g. restaurant doesn't have brown rice, or party doesn't serve brown rice). AFA health issues go, I still have others such as not exercising enough, and a diet that can still be improved, so I acknowledge brown rice is hardly the magic bullet that will make everything right, but it's certainly a start.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
My favorite rice of the moment is black rice. It's a beautiful deep purple color with a pleasant nutty taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink