Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:15 PM

6,186 posts, read 3,554,888 times

Advertisements

Just loose teas, both herbal and green. There's so much more variety online than what you can get at the store, and I'm on their mailing list so I get emailed about sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
Very little. I used to order Penzeys spices online, but then I moved to a city that has one of their brick and mortar stores. I do order Spice House spices online sometimes.

When I run out of Duke's mayonnaise, which isn't available around here, I'll probably order more online.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 PM

19,387 posts, read 22,327,208 times
Very little. If it's at the store I'll buy it. Sometimes I'll buy ramps or some specialty from Appalachia (where I'm from), but not regularly.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:10 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,631,518 times
Most of these in bulk: chocolates, Dole pineapple chunks, ITO EN unsweetened green tea, cat food, popcorn, Silk soy milk. I can't carry very heavy things, and I hate to shop.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:50 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,677,003 times
We buy 95% of all non perishable food on line.

Reasons:

1: Convenience. We can buy it in a few minutes on line, and have in about 5 days delivered right to our front door.

2: Value. Our local family owned grocery is way more expensive. To get nationally known grocery stores, we have to drive 50 miles each way. This saves about 15 to 20 dollars for gas alone. But the big thing is, that the prices are considerably cheaper for the exact same item on line over the national stores, even than the same companies brick and mortar store. We figure we save a minimum of 20% to 30% shopping on line.

Example: One item we buy monthly is $8.95 at local store. $5 at their brick and mortar store. $4.40 for the same thing a on line at the same companies web site. But on line there is a larger package that is exactly twice the size of the one available in the stores, that is $6.66 on line. Canned vegetables, national brands in 4 to 6 packs, are quite a bit cheaper than even house brands in the stores. Saving as much as 70 cents per can.

4: Way bigger choice when we buy on line, over buying at any brick and mortar store.

5: Saves a lot of energy. One hour each way to go to the cheapest big national store. At least an hour in the store including check out. On line siting in our home office, and 30 to 40 minutes ordering. Total time 3 plus hours against 30 to 40 minutes. Saving energy is important to a couple that are both in mid 80s.

6: Safety. Places our monthly order yesterday and with a little extra holiday items which will be here Tuesday before Christmas, it was $328.50. Roads are snow packed due to heavy snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. We drive an explorer, with 4 wheel drive with the advanced transmission where we can dial in road conditions for snow and ice on the roads, and top quality studded snow tires. We don't have a hard time in these road conditions, but there are so many idiots out there trying to drive 2 wheel drive cars with standard tires, that are sliding all over the road, especially the out of state drivers we have to put up with that do not know how to drive in snow. In the 50 miles there will be numerous wrecks along the sides of the road.

Our average monthly order is $250 to $300 per order.

Anyone that still shops for perishables at brick and mortar stores is kind of old fashioned. We do it the modern way. Much more convenient, save at least $50 to $100 per order, safer, and much easier on our bodies and minds, and save about 3 hours time doing it on line every order.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,377,631 times
Webers horseradish mustard and Guy Fieri's Spicy BBQ sauce, and flaky sea salt and mango-passion fruit Tao tea bags.

Other than that, not much.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:18 AM

38,616 posts, read 22,612,889 times
I get occasional treats (like candy and cookies) that are not available in my area, like Cherry Ripe candy bars from Australia and Berger's cookies from Baltimore. The rest of my food shopping is at the local grocery stores.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:53 AM

19,212 posts, read 15,083,434 times
Not too many. I've bought Omaha Steaks, wine baskets, etc., for gifts. I've bought some spices that I couldn't find in the regular grocery store.

But one thing I continue to buy: Chukar Cherries, based in Washington state. Chocolate-covered cherries, etc. But they have these Chocolate Honey Pecans... I highly recommend them.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:25 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We buy 95% of all non perishable food on line.

Reasons:

1: Convenience. We can buy it in a few minutes on line, and have in about 5 days delivered right to our front door.

2: Value. Our local family owned grocery is way more expensive. To get nationally known grocery stores, we have to drive 50 miles each way. This saves about 15 to 20 dollars for gas alone. But the big thing is, that the prices are considerably cheaper for the exact same item on line over the national stores, even than the same companies brick and mortar store. We figure we save a minimum of 20% to 30% shopping on line.

Example: One item we buy monthly is $8.95 at local store. $5 at their brick and mortar store. $4.40 for the same thing a on line at the same companies web site. But on line there is a larger package that is exactly twice the size of the one available in the stores, that is $6.66 on line. Canned vegetables, national brands in 4 to 6 packs, are quite a bit cheaper than even house brands in the stores. Saving as much as 70 cents per can.

4: Way bigger choice when we buy on line, over buying at any brick and mortar store.

5: Saves a lot of energy. One hour each way to go to the cheapest big national store. At least an hour in the store including check out. On line siting in our home office, and 30 to 40 minutes ordering. Total time 3 plus hours against 30 to 40 minutes. Saving energy is important to a couple that are both in mid 80s.

6: Safety. Places our monthly order yesterday and with a little extra holiday items which will be here Tuesday before Christmas, it was $328.50. Roads are snow packed due to heavy snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. We drive an explorer, with 4 wheel drive with the advanced transmission where we can dial in road conditions for snow and ice on the roads, and top quality studded snow tires. We don't have a hard time in these road conditions, but there are so many idiots out there trying to drive 2 wheel drive cars with standard tires, that are sliding all over the road, especially the out of state drivers we have to put up with that do not know how to drive in snow. In the 50 miles there will be numerous wrecks along the sides of the road.

Our average monthly order is $250 to $300 per order.

Anyone that still shops for perishables at brick and mortar stores is kind of old fashioned. We do it the modern way. Much more convenient, save at least $50 to $100 per order, safer, and much easier on our bodies and minds, and save about 3 hours time doing it on line every order.
some good points...

for anyone doing a local fundraiser, asking for help at local stores,,,and they don't help....this is part of the reason,
also, when town property taxes double because the small businesses have closed.... you will know why...

and when there are no more jobs in the area because the stores have closed.....this is why..

sounds extreme?

we have a local mainstreet... with many businesses that are struggling,,,not just because Walmart, and home depot is 8 miles away, its because more and more buy online,,,but hey its a free country,, I buy online too
but...when I see more and more CLOSED signs on brick and mortar stores,,,those people former business owners move away with family and kids,,
and you can see and its happening now....less kids...more consolidations of schools..= less teachers..

its all connected... maybe not so much in the big cities,,,but in small towns...yes

theres a grocery store that's going to be built 6 miles away ..it will cost millions, its his dream to build the store and offer the town more,
he will employ all he can from local contractors.. that NEED this work.. from electricians to flooring, to roofers, to pavers, to general building contractors ...this will provide again,,,much needed employment..this owner could save a small amount on hiring a much larger construction company a 100 miles away,,,but what message does that send to the locals??
it wouldn't be right..

this store will hire 35 more employees ... many part time single mothers, many an opportunity to get off state aid..

its all connected..

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 12-19-2015 at 05:36 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 08:03 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I find most online prices, by the time they add in mail cost, to be way too high. Almost doubles the price of some things. So if my local grocery doesn't have it, I just do without.
That's true some of the time. OTOH - many places have various shipping options - including free shipping for orders over a certain minimum amount (anything ranging from $25 on up - depending on the vendor). Pays to shop around. The area where I find shipping costs can be a significant factor is when I'm ordering perishables - like meat - fowl - cheese - even chocolate. Which require very fast (overnight) delivery and special packaging. So - when I'm ordering from a place like D'Artagnan - I try to shop its sales - and to order more than an item or two (most will last in the freezer for quite a while). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink