Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times

Advertisements

So, I'm bitterly disappointed that Blue Bell is not currently in production due to a salmonella scare about a year ago because it is by far the best IMO.

I've tried Adele's - Horrible!! Inedible!!
I've tried Bryers - Meh. So so.
I'm going to give Tillamook a chance.
I know Ben & Jerry's is good but I just cant bring myself to pay that much for such a small amount.

Any brands that I should steer clear of?

Any favorites for recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 05:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
I'm a fan of Publix Premium, and they have great seasonal flavors.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:32 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
I will splurge on ice cream--Talenti gelato, Haagen Dazs, and Graeter's at $6 a pint--so if Ben and Jerry's is too rich for your blood you might not like my recommendations. The only good but cheap national ice cream brand I can think of is Edy's. It's called Edy's back East but if you're on the West Coast it's Dreyer's. As for what to steer clear of I prefer brands that use real sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup, have a high amount of fat, and less air. You'll pay more but you'll get full on less.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
For some reason I never found one that beat Bryers for a pure taste. Ben and Jerry and Edys are good though. Dolly Madison always had an artificial taste to it.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:49 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
It's called Edy's back East but if you're on the West Coast it's Dreyer's.
Yeah, Dreyers is ok. It has been a long long time since I've had it so maybe I'll give it a chance. I'm on my way to the store here in a few hours.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:53 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
We do not buy a lot of ice cream at the grocery because University of Delaware has a wonderful dairy and delicious ice cream. However, I do buy Friendly's to make homemade milkshakes. I grew up with Breyers but I find that today it has almost a gummy taste.

Graeters is good and they do sell it at my local grocery, but there is not much of a selection unless I order it online.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:21 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
So, I'm bitterly disappointed that Blue Bell is not currently in production due to a salmonella scare about a year ago because it is by far the best IMO
Some of the Blue Bell flavors are back in production. But I will never buy it again (I've bought it all my life). They were aware of the Listeria issue and chose to ignore it--people were sickened and died because of Blue Bell's negligent business practice.

I recommend Tillamook--the only flavor I've tried is Horchata, and it's amazing. If you're in Texas, H-E-B sells an ice cream by Adams' Best, the spice & extract company. It's very good--Texas-made but exclusive to H-E-B.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Kroger's Private Selection is some of the best ice cream that I have ever had. Every month, they come up with yet a new flavor or two.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:20 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Given my druthers, I'd get Oberweiss, but that's local. I actually like Dean's Country Fresh - Edy's and Breyer's are good too.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:34 PM

24 posts, read 26,011 times
Blue Bell is the best-tasting ice cream I've bought from a grocery store, but I don't trust them very much after the listeria incident. Ben and Jerry's comes in second for grocery store ice cream (The Tonight Dough is fabulous), but WOW, they're pricey. They're an ultra-rare treat.

For ice-cream parlor/confection store ice cream, Kilwins wins. Creamy, rich, a variety of ideal flavors... I'm not sure how many locations Kilwins has, but if you ever get the chance to visit Williamsburg, VA or Petoskey, MI, stop by Kilwins and grab some ice cream and fudge. Both. You need both. Especially the fudge-- it's like nothing you've ever had. But yeah, the ice cream is fabulous, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink