U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:57 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,325,091 times

Advertisements

Yeh..I never over buy and I never throw anything out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
If I had my rathers I would have a walk in cooler and walking freezer in a bunker with a Cat powered generator on standby. I could then keep my ketchup cold by the case and syrups too. I don't really just like my ketchup, I'm an addict. I passed on the genes too.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,798,088 times
Now that's some serious ketchup addiction Nomadicus!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,574,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
I keep the ketchup in the fridge, and take it out long enough before the meal so it can come up to room temp. Same with other condiments like mustard, mayo, relish, etc. I have a compulsion about refrigerating everything that is open, even things I have been told don't need to be refrigerated, like honey and molasses, I don't know why. I know a couple of people who don't refridgerate butter! They say it won't go bad, but I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of leaving a dairy product on the counter for days on end.
Honey should not be stored in the refirgerator. The cold causes it to crystalize, one would think the soultion would be to re-heat it. That is a big no-no; you can not raise the temperature high to completely dissolve the crystals and in the process the heat has broken down the the component even further. Besides, because of its viscosity, hot honey can cause an extremely dangerous burn.

We use only real maple syrup, which we buy by the gallon. Once it is opened it should be refrigerated as it can mold. However, a gallon is a bit awkward so I bring it up to boiling in a heavy pan so it doesn't scorch, then hot pack it into clean, sterile pint canning jars and seal.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:22 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
That's why some of the local joints don't have a problem leaving it on the table. I can use a half bottle with burger and fries. I think they are going to start hiding it from me. When my first born got his first FF he licked the ketchup off and handed the fry back to his mom for more ketchup. After about 6 rounds she just dumped some on his plate and we watched the fun. If only we had had a digital camera back then we may have gotten in trouble with DCF for sure. He grew up with hotter tastes so no harm done. Now ketchup has to be not just warm but fiery hot with really good pepper in it. A real chip off the block. Next time I have the chance I see what his stock pile of ketchup is and where he keeps the open bottle.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:24 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,210,597 times
We always asked our youngest grand-daughter if she wanted some fries with her ketchup.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 PM

187 posts, read 557,632 times
Ok, my mom buys the costco size ketchup and fills the smaller bottle and puts that in the fridge amd keeps the huge one in the pantry!!!! My teenage daughter refuses to use their ketchup!!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
Ok, my mom buys the costco size ketchup and fills the smaller bottle and puts that in the fridge amd keeps the huge one in the pantry!!!! My teenage daughter refuses to use their ketchup!!
Your mom's got it backwards, I think.

I wanted to buy some ketchup at Costco recently, but they force you to buy 3 44 (?) oz bottles that expire in about a year or a little more. I'd rather pay 50 cents more per bottle and get the fresh stuff!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM

230 posts, read 797,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Honey should not be stored in the refirgerator. The cold causes it to crystalize, one would think the soultion would be to re-heat it. That is a big no-no; you can not raise the temperature high to completely dissolve the crystals and in the process the heat has broken down the the component even further. Besides, because of its viscosity, hot honey can cause an extremely dangerous burn.

We use only real maple syrup, which we buy by the gallon. Once it is opened it should be refrigerated as it can mold. However, a gallon is a bit awkward so I bring it up to boiling in a heavy pan so it doesn't scorch, then hot pack it into clean, sterile pint canning jars and seal.
Thanks for the info, you're right, the honey always did crystallize. Some of my family lives in the South, and they put all their food in the fridge. Maybe that's where my compulsion to refrigerate everything stems from!!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 PM

424 posts, read 1,483,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
Thanks for the info, you're right, the honey always did crystallize. Some of my family lives in the South, and they put all their food in the fridge. Maybe that's where my compulsion to refrigerate everything stems from!!
I live in the South, but I don't refrigerate everything. I don't refrigerate ketchup, mustard, peanut butter, honey, molasses, table syrup, pancake syrup, cooking oil, shortening, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauces, some pickles and relishes, vinegar, steak sauce, some jams and preserves, and ...horror of horrors!...most REAL mayonnaise. The mayonnaise I use up very fast and don't introduce contaminants into it via utensils. Jams and preserves are usually used up within a week of opening so they don't get a chance to mold; it they are kept longer they go into the fridge. I do put butter, chili sauce, tartar sauce, horseradish, capers, apple sauce, crabapple rings and some other things into the fridge to preserve quality because I don't use them up fast enough. I keep some cheeses at room temperature in a cheese keeper...cheese kept outside the fridge is usually consumed within a few days of acquistion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink