Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 PM

167 posts, read 971,536 times

Advertisements

What do you expect when invited to a home ie. appetizers, dinner and dessert not to mention spirits of sorts? Do you offer to bring something? What is the proper ettiquette in your mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 10:06 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Usually when you're invited to someone's home, they tell you what to expect. At that point you can ask if you can bring something based on what you are told. When people come to my dinner parties, although I provide all the food, wine, and dessert, they usually bring wine or a token gift, even if I make it clear that they should just come as they are. My liquor cabinet is FULL of wines and spirits brought by guests. When I'm invited, if it's made clear that I'm to bring nothing, then I don't. If it's an informal get-together like a tv-show gathering or just friendly social gathering, I'll bring a platter of cheese and crackers with salami, or deviled eggs, or, I'll bake brownies or something to bring to show my appreciation. I always help wash the dishes and clean up afterward too, though, that's tricky and if you're rebuffed on your first offer and then on your second, leave it alone... I hate having people help me in my own kitchen as they get unwittingly in my way and I'm much better cleaning and organizing on auto-pilot!!!! While I appreciate the offer, I prefer to clean up myself after my own dinner parties. What to bring really depends on how well you know the person who invited you. Good friends whom you know take them at their word. For people who invite you whom you don't know, bring wine or flowers or some token inexpensive thank you acknowledgment. That's my advice.

Last edited by MoMark; 10-05-2006 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-05-2006, 10:47 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODTOGO View Post
What do you expect when invited to a home ie. appetizers, dinner and dessert not to mention spirits of sorts? Do you offer to bring something? What is the proper ettiquette in your mind?

I always ask what do you want me to bring. When I have a party I don't like people to being anything. If they ask I say just bring yourself, if they insist then they can bring whatever they want.

I have to say I hate when they try to help me in the kitchen and start cleaning up, it drives me crazy!! Stay out of my kitchen

Old 10-05-2006, 11:12 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,868 times
Most of the time when we entertain, it's pretty informal. We'll do a "buffet" style thing where we provide most of the food (as well as the sodas/non alcoholic drinks), and let people know they can bring something to share if they want to...but no big deal if they don't. Most of the time we just do BYOB since everyone seems to have different tastes with regard to "adult" beverages, but we'll have extra beer on hand just in case. (we're really not sophisticated "wine" people, lol.)

If it's not clear as to what you're expected to bring, it's usually courteous to
ask if there's anything they'd like you to bring. And as MoMark said, if you don't know your hosts that well, a "hostess" gift is a nice touch on your first visit to someone's home (flowers, chocolates, candles or wine are usually good bets...but skip the wine if you're not sure if your hosts drink alcohol.)

Old 10-06-2006, 10:10 AM

Thanks for all your feedbacks...When we are invited to a home, we always bring wine (white & red)...If we are going to have 3 couples, will ask them to bring something to help out but if it is just a couple or two, we do it all...Also, any good receipes for Margarita's???

Old 10-06-2006, 10:18 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
I would never show up empty handed and usually bring wine. If they insist on not bringing anything, flowers are nice.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 PM

212 posts, read 791,532 times
MoMark, are you related to Martha Stewart?

Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
MoMark, are you related to Martha Stewart?
Grins! NO! And I don't find her style appealing! But, I took more than a year off and have learned to cook, entertain, and build a social life when for most of my adult life all I did was immerse myself in work and time schedules under pressure!
My neighbor's wife insisted on cleaning my kitchen when they were here for dinner and although I asked her twice nicely to stop, she ignored me and kept washing. I didn't like it! So I'll tell her when I'm at her house for dinner next time Best to be honest!
I've been to so many dinner parties this past year since moving here that I've learned a lot, not only about what is expected, but how I handle dinner guests too But, in the meantime, I've become quite a baker, cook, etc.!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 03:09 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,297 times
I always bring a plant or flowers out of my yard.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 PM

MoMark you sound like quite the entertainer...We are having 2 couples in and have been accessorizing the home with all the Halloween goodies, just to make it look festive and Fun!...One couple is bringing dessert and the other is bringing a dish...Helps alot when others chip in and they feel happy to oblige, we would also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink