Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

I've had some requests for the turnip/collard greens recipe made with chicken stock. Here's one - you can make it with or without the garlic and red pepper flakes (I don't add those). You can also use 4 rather than 3 pieces of bacon!

I prefer using "from scratch" chicken stock but I've substituted canned or carton chicken stock before and it's fine. Homemade tends to have a higher fat content, which of course makes things even yummier.

Kickin' Collard Greens Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 03:12 PM

666 posts, read 642,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No really special plans here...
I will make a big pot of spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, and we will have a nice green salad with it.

After dinner, we will do some channel hopping to see what of interest is going on via the boob tube.

Just before and just after midnight, we will have some smoked salmon canapés (in my family, we have always believed that having fish on New Year's Eve brings good luck for the coming year), accompanied by a few glasses of Champagne.

Then, following a bit more time with the boob tube, it will be off to bed.
Nothing very exciting, to say the least.

Nice cozy evening in with loved ones, sounds exciting to me!

oops sorry, forgot the topic Thinking of either making a hearty Porcini Stew, Isa Chandra's recipe, with some nice homemade bread. Or making pizza with some cheese bread, veggies and dip, couple of other finger foods.

Last edited by janet bubby; 12-30-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Nice cozy evening in with family, sounds exciting to me!

At this point in my life, it works for me and my SO, and it sounds like that type of evening works for you too. My days of craving excitement (which includes dodging the drunks on the road on New Year's Eve) are long gone...

Old 12-30-2015, 03:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
love the southern tradition, but I do modify it a bit. Breakfast is always lox and bagels. Dinner is not chick and dumplings, but some type of pork. We substitute white beans for the black eyed peas. We just do like the black eyed peas. As for the greens, we usually do something like Chinese cabbage, or collard greens.

Happy New Year to all.e
It's the Jewish/Southern special. Bagels and lox - pork and beans and greens <LOL>. Very similar to what we do. Happy New Year to you and everyone else here as well . Robyn

Old 12-30-2015, 04:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
I fast on New Year's Day.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My grandmother would do a big pork tenderloin in sauerkraut and serve it with applesauce and mashed potatoes.

I remember my favorite cousin would deliberately sit next to me, not out of affection, but because she knew I didn't eat the fatty parts. She'd wait for me to trim them off of my slices of meat and then her fork would dart down to my plate and skewer them. Cracked me up to no end

This year, I'm just gonna treat it like any other night and look forward to having Friday off. I'll prolly go out for pho or order a pizza and get some movies from the redbox.
I can remember loving the fat and sometimes, on some meats it would be really nice and crisp; not usually on pork. today the thought makes me almost sick.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I just realized that I may be having a root canal tomorrow so if that's the case, I'll be having some sort of soup. LOL. Sheeze, Happy New Year to me!

Old 12-30-2015, 06:56 PM

693 posts, read 704,403 times
My mother always made sauerkraut and pork and mashed potatoes for good luck on NYD. I continued the tradition. She also lit a bayberry candle and put it in the bathtub and let it burn all night. Again for good luck.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Annual family New Year's party. This year the theme is the Roaring 20's.

I am craving healthy so I am bringing a big salad with tons of veggies, 2 bottles of wine, 1 tequila, beer, and chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

Every New Year's Day I seem to contract the same bug, slightly queazy, headache and general malaise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,364 times
New Years eve will be homemade chili and sourdough parmesan cheese toast.
New Years Day will be lamb roast with mashed pots and peas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink