Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 08:26 AM

62 posts, read 50,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Aside from not wanting your guests to leave your house hungry, it is reasonable to assume that a NYE party will involve at least some level of alcohol consumption, so you definitely want to make sure to have enough food.

I like the idea of adding meatballs, and if you're up for one more suggestion, mini caprese skewers. I make these at nearly every party I throw (or bring them to every party I attend where I'm asked to bring something), and they're always demolished. I use marinated mozzarella balls (marinated is key), cut in half, the smallest grape or cherry tomatoes I can find, and lots of fresh basil. Put half a mozzarella ball, a good-size leaf of basil (folded up a bit) and a tomato on a toothpick. Repeat approximately 500 times (I kid, but...the process takes awhile, depending on how many you make).

They're great for parties like this, where people will presumably be mingling and socializing - an easy finger food that looks festive and tastes delicious.
This sounds yummy.

yes, there will be drinking, i want to make sure there is more than enough food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:24 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Add some fruit and desserts, even if it's just some mini cannolis or frozen cream puffs.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:32 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
A very old cookbook of mine mentions 8 . And the appetizers way back then were small items nothing bigger than a prawn/shrimp on a Ritz cracker 70's era appetizers.
Sure...appetites were a lot smaller back then! That said, I rarely see much taken from a veggie tray unless you have some FANTASTIC dips for it. Usually it only serves as decoration or to make people feel better if they have a piece of broccoli before eating something wrapped in bacon . Consider adding a couple dessert items.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:08 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maybe add some meatballs, and a fruit platter.

This.

I made teriyaki meatballs in the crockpot for Christmas. And I cut up a fresh pineapple to serve on the side with them. They were a hit much to the dismay of my SIL who had the party at her house this year. Her ritz cracker cheese offerings were hardly touched.

My wife made mini crab and spinach quiches with a remoulade sauce. Another winner.

Along with the drinks OP you'll be fine.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM

62 posts, read 50,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
This.

I made teriyaki meatballs in the crockpot for Christmas. And I cut up a fresh pineapple to serve on the side with them. They were a hit much to the dismay of my SIL who had the party at her house this year. Her ritz cracker cheese offerings were hardly touched.

My wife made mini crab and spinach quiches with a remoulade sauce. Another winner.

Along with the drinks OP you'll be fine.
those mini crab and spinach quiche sound yummy, whats remoulade?

Old 12-30-2015, 11:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah123 View Post
Google it.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maybe add some meatballs, and a fruit platter.
A friend of mine dumps Heinz chili sauce and cranberry sauce in with frozen store meatballs. It's one of the better appetizer cheats I've run across for meatballs.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah123 View Post
Remoulade sauce varies wildly.

Some is mayo/dijon mustard/onion-y stuff like scallion, garlic, shallot/a bit of catsup/a bit of heat like tobasco/lemon juice to adjust the acid balance. Basically souped up French salad dressing.

Others I've had have no mayo at all. They all have some kind of whole seed mustard or dijon, something in the onion family, and something for heat. More like an etouffee sauce with some whole seed mustard.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
This is a favorite at our house:

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

Old 12-30-2015, 01:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I'd add some small rolls or croissants, and sliced cheese and ham or turkey breast, so people can make little sandwiches if they're still hungry.

My sister always does meals that are a bunch of little appetizers and a veggie platter...we always stop for dinner before we go to one of her meals, because we know we'll be leaving late and hungry and not many places will be open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink