Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:20 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You'd be surprised how fast those meatballs disappear, along with the BBQ sauce and grape jelly smokies.
Haha - yes - that's a big favorite at our work "food days".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah123 View Post
I am hosting for new years this year. We usually have a big dinner. But this year I want to try something different for food. I would like to do a full menu of appetizers. There will be 14 guests.

So far this is whats on the menu:
Buffalo chicken pinwheels
italian sub pinwheels
lil weenies wrapped in bacon
spanekopitas
mini empanadas
broccoli cheese dip
spinach dip
vegetable platter
cheese platter

I am concerned that although there will different types of things it will not be enough or filling. Most of our guest will be arriving around 8:30pm. and will be leaving pretty late, I'd hate for people to leave my house hungry.

Any other suggestions?

Instead of Buffalo Chicken pinwheels, I'd do Buffalo Chicken Dip. It's much hardier than what I would imagine pinwheels would be.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:50 PM

831 posts, read 1,579,317 times
I would add some meat balls in a crock pot, mini ham and cheese sliders, and something sweet.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:54 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
We host a huge Christmas party every year, with anywhere between 25-35 attendees. My husband and I normally make 12-14 different things, and we make 40 of each (since we never know if we'll have folks show up who forgot to RSVP). Ours are one-bite hors d'oeurves. In addition to those, we always have a couple kinds of meatballs, a crudité platter, cold shrimp with dipping sauce, chips/dip, bowls of olives, and bowls of nuts. So if you count all those, we actually serve 19-20 things on the night of our party.

Our guests know NOT to eat before they come to our party. *lol*

We always offer a variety of things: beef, chicken, seafood, vegetarian, and try to be naturally gluten-free with a few of them as well since we have many friends who have gone that route over the past few years.

Are your dishes going to be served throughout the evening, or put out all at one time for people to nosh as they wish? We bring ours out in groups of two (one hot, one cold) every 10-15 minutes over the course of 2-3 hours, and then go through and take requests if someone wants "one more" of one they liked in particular. Usually we only get 1-2 people who make requests - everyone else is "stuffed" to the point where they can't have even one more bite. Then we shut down the kitchen so that we (the hosts) can socialize and enjoy our guests' company for the rest of the evening.

Some of the things we make are REALLY simple (and therefore not time-consuming to prepare), and others are very ornate and require being put together before we serve them. Since your party is today, I'd be happy to PM you some of the easier ones if you have any interest.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:17 AM

912 posts, read 1,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I sometimes make those mini caprese skewers. Costco often has mini marinated mozzarella balls - about the size of a grape/cherry tomato - and I don't even cut the balls in half. They're yummy. Fresh garden grown basil can be an issue now in the middle of the winter. And fresh basil can be a bit pricey. Also - those things aren't stand up finger food IMO - because they drip. Guess their suitability for the OP would depend on the OP's floor coverings. Robyn
I've never had them drip - I do shake off the excess and they're often sitting on a paper towel-covered plate while I'm prepping, so maybe that's why.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:40 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,838,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If that is one of the better ones - I'd hate to know the worst. That honestly sounds disgusting to me (don't tell your friend I said so ). Robyn
Sometimes, the spicy chili sauce and the sweet works.....funny, but true. the last time I had the meatballs from Walmart, (pork and beef) I added "Sweet Baby Ray's," hickory & brown sugar barbecue sauce....tasty tidbits!!

Chips, veggies and dips and there is that tortilla thing with cream cheese and re-fried beans I think a little green chilies, roll up and slice into little pinwheels.

Since it's last minute, I would head over to the deli at your fav grocer and stock up on a few of their goodies. Might be a little pricey....but helps you enjoy your party, too!!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:42 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,391,469 times
Quote:
A friend of mine dumps Heinz chili sauce and cranberry sauce in with frozen store meatballs. It's one of the better appetizer cheats I've run across for meatballs.
Quote:

If that is one of the better ones - I'd hate to know the worst. That honestly sounds disgusting to me (don't tell your friend I said so ). Robyn
Quote:

Sometimes, the spicy chili sauce and the sweet works.....funny, but true. the last time I had the meatballs from Walmart, (pork and beef) I added "Sweet Baby Ray's," hickory & brown sugar barbecue sauce....tasty tidbits!!
That chili sauce/cranberry sauce mix for the meatballs just tastes like a sweet bbq sauce. It's one of my favorite ways to prepare appetizer meatballs. The Trader Joe party meatballs work great with this.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:02 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,570,764 times
I would use some actual broccoli to go in that dip and offer some shrimp.
and serve more empanadas.

Sounds like a good mixture of foods you have.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,587,875 times
Well what did you decide and how did your party go? I hope everyone got their fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink