U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,927,373 times

Advertisements

A good steak dinner maybe?

We do the same dinner every year. Shrimp scampi over pasta, salad, garlic bread. I have a heart shapped mini cake pan that I cook brownies in and make brownie sundaes with. Dh and I share a bottle of Asti. We celebrate as a family, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM

335 posts, read 1,002,732 times
Default need help preparing for valentine's day.

Can anyone please give me a name of an inexpensive but good champagne that I can buy at the liquor store??

I'm planning an early valentine's day surprise and I'm going for cliche. So of course I wanna pair up the champagne with the strawberries. Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 AM

9,835 posts, read 21,651,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
Can anyone please give me a name of an inexpensive but good champagne that I can buy at the liquor store??

I'm planning an early valentine's day surprise and I'm going for cliche. So of course I wanna pair up the champagne with the strawberries. Thanks for your help in advance!
Korbel is fine. Although technically it's not champagne but "California Champagne."

Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,534,179 times
Quote:

Moet Chandon White Star. No, I don't have a Valentine but I peek through the window of my neighborhood liquor store every Valentine Day and see lovers buying lots of that brand.

Happy Valentine.:

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM

10,496 posts, read 16,915,323 times
I like Cristalino. It's Spanish. I think it's quite nice for the price. Cheaper than Korbel, and better too.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM

335 posts, read 1,002,732 times
Thanks guys!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM

10,778 posts, read 25,720,538 times
For champagne, you need to buy French as that's the only place where champagne is produced, the others are sparkling wines commonly referred to as champagne. Piper Heidesieck Brut Cuvee is a decent champagne that's not terribly expensive in its non-vintage version.

For a better deal, look to a West Coast sparkler, commonly referred to as champagne, like Argyle Brut from Oregon or Roderer Estate Brut from California.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 AM

10,496 posts, read 16,915,323 times
I understand the connotations of difference wine regions & wine naming conventions, but I also understood the OP's question and answered it in the spirit in which it was asked.

Anyway, happy valentine's day everybody!

I need to get some champagne...

Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 AM

4,861 posts, read 5,949,067 times
Quote:

I think spain makes great sparkling wine and its usually well priced. Spainish champagnes are called Cava.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM

10,778 posts, read 25,720,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I understand the connotations of difference wine regions & wine naming conventions, but I also understood the OP's question and answered it in the spirit in which it was asked.

Anyway, happy valentine's day everybody!

I need to get some champagne...
I don't know why you read attitude into what I said. The OP lives in NYC and at a good wine/liquor store in the city, you can get tremendous attitude from wine snobs if you do not say exactly the right thing when asking for a particular type of wine. So, giving friendly advice is wrong? I'll remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink