Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I don't know why you read attitude into what I said. The OP lives in NYC and at a good wine/liquor store in the city, you can get tremendous attitude from wine snobs if you do not say exactly the right thing when asking for a particular type of wine. So, giving friendly advice is wrong? I'll remember that.
Chill out dude, have some sparkling wine or champagne or whatever!

The people you describe working at the stores remind me of too-big-for-their-britches waiters who correct patrons' pronunciation of menu items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
Can anyone please give me a name of an inexpensive but good champagne that I can buy at the liquor store??

I'm planning an early valentine's day surprise and I'm going for cliche. So of course I wanna pair up the champagne with the strawberries. Thanks for your help in advance!

A lot of my drinking friends swear by "Cremant de Bourgogne" which is a sparkling white wine from Burgundy with a very similar taste to Champagne but with a much kinder price tag.

A lot of people have been fooled into thinking it was Champagne apparently and a wine taster friend of mine actually prefers it to the "real " thing.

I would have thought any decent wine store would have it.

For a description of the Cremant de Bourgogne :

Nick Dobson Wines Crémant de Bourgogne (http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk/acatalog/Cremant_Section.html - broken link)

Crémant de Bourgogne, Find out More about Crémant, Burgundy, France - burgundytoday

Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Default Valentine's Day menu

I live in a place where everywhere gets super crowded on Valentine's Day. I always make a nice dinner at home. I have a tradition of making shrimp scampi, garlic bread, salad, wine and heart-shaped chocolate brownie sundaes for dessert. Do you cook at home? Do you have a traditional Valentine's Day menu that you cook?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Hmm well we don't go out for Valentines day. I usually just make dinner at home. One of my husband's favorite meals is Linguini with white clam sauce. I will most likely make that for him. I don't eat that so I will just have plain linguni. I make the sauce using fresh or canned clams.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Default Valentine's Day Dinner

Valentine's Day is next week. Are you going out to eat or cooking at home?
My husband asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner & I opted to go out another night instead and cook at home for the 2 of us. Thinking of our menu I thought of making broiled Lobster Tails and NY Strip with baked potatoes and salad.
If you are staying home what menu items would you cook.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Buying a new grill & cooking some ribeyes.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Have strip steaks ready to grill. Probably fresh corn on the grill to along with fresh FL tomatoes. The corn may turn out to be iron skillet stir fried corn with jalapenos and bacon bit.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Have strip steaks ready to grill. Probably fresh corn on the grill to along with fresh FL tomatoes. The corn may turn out to be iron skillet stir fried corn with jalapenos and bacon bit.
that sounds yummy. id probably go with skirt steaks over strips though.

we are doing a valentines dinner this saturday so we probably wont go anywhere on tuesday. i havent really thought about cooking anything special. i wouldnt mind if my wife made something, but im the one who cooks in my family.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
We never go out for dinner on Valentines day, too crowded but I am gong out on the 18th to a steak house, it's not a post valentines dinner. It's my belated birthday dinner that got spoiled due to bad weather and a flat tire i January LOL. I will be making a nice dinner on valentiens for my DH and probably cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
We do not go out for Valentine's Day, but we will probably go out this Saturday night. I usually make shrimp scampi over angel hair and a spinach salad. I might pick up some cupcakes for dessert since our local cupcake place always has $2 cupcakes on Tuesdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink