U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,149,944 times

Advertisements

Okay folks, Valentine's Day is fast approaching and, while I am sure many of you go out to dinner to celebrate, my BF and I prefer to spend the evening cooking together and then sharing our meal picnic style on the living room floor. (Not quite sure how this tradition started).....Anyway, last year we made eggplant parm and this year I was thinking crab legs, but I am looking for other creative ideas.

We are not picky eaters at all and wouldn't mind trying something adventurous. Any ideas??? Side dishes, desserts, or special cocktails would also be welcome!!

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,513,339 times
How about a seafood platter with Crab, Smoked Salmon, Smoked trout ( with home-made lemon mayonnaise), Oysters, Scallops, Mussels ( cold or hot), King Prawns and some lovely walnut bread to go with it, then maybe a cheese platter of all lovely cheeses followed by something very light like a raspberry syllabub or a Scottish Cranachan ?

Raspberry syllabub

Ingredients
55g/2oz caster sugar
55g/2oz flaked almonds
145g/5oz fresh raspberries
2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
˝ lime, juice only
200ml/7fl oz double cream
˝ orange, juice of
2 tbsp white wine
2 slices Madeira cake, broken
1 x 420g can peach halves in syrup

Method
1. In a small saucepan, gently melt the caster sugar until it begins to turn golden brown.
2. Toss the nuts into the caramel then pour the mixture on to a baking tray to set.
3. In a mini food processor, blend together 75g/3oz of the raspberries, half the icing sugar and the lime juice.
4. Sieve the raspberry purče over a small bowl to remove the seeds.
5. In a medium bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks.
6. Gently fold in the orange juice, half the wine and the remaining icing sugar until well combined.
7. Stir the raspberry sauce until you have a marble effect syllabub. Chill until ready to serve.
8. Divide the broken Madeira cake between two serving dishes.
9. Strain the peaches and reserve the syrup.
10. Pour half of the peach syrup over the Madeira cake followed by the remaining wine.
11. Snap the cooled praline into pieces.
12. Serve the raspberry syllabub on top of the Madeira cake, garnished with a few fresh raspberries and pieces of praline.

Cranachan Recipe Page on Undiscovered Scotland
( I don't like whiskey so I use Amaretto and it's lovely).

For drinks with a romantic twist how about a good bottle of Champagne ( or sparkling white wine) with some Fresh raspberries in the glass ( or even with a tiny amount of freshly pureed raspberries) and a sprig of mint.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,149,944 times
Wow. Tried to rep you but have to spread the love. This sounds lovely and scrumptious!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,035,617 times
Dessert: chocolate fondue - strawberries, pineapple, marshmallows, cubed pound cake for dipping

Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,424,650 times
Default Valentine's dinner

What are people cooking for V-Day this year? I know most people go out to eat for Valentine's........... but curious to see what kind dishes that people are cooking at home to celebrate!

I am still trying to figure out my menu. Since we are going out this weekend to celebrate because of work in the a.m., I still wanted to cook something nice for dinner tonight. Any suggestions would be great!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:53 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
Hi-I'm making pork chops, scalloped potatoes, sugar snap peas and biscuits. We're going to go out on the weekend also as we have double celebrating to do-it was our 40th anniv. Sun, hubby's birthday and to darn cold to go anywhere.

Happy Valentine's.

Oh go to the "What's for dinner" thread-so many great ideas from some great folks.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,286,236 times
I'm not cooking lol - hubby is (at least he's supposed to be)

but if I were - I'd probably make Shrimp alfredo with caesar salad, meat lasagna, or chicken parmesan - those are his favorites - and I don't mind them either!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times
We went to Red Lobster for lunch and are stuffed, so we are having a piece of cheesecake for dinner.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
Champagne, Shrimp cocktail, champagne, rib eye steaks, portobello mushroom, creamed spinach, champagne, baked potato and 'killer' blueberry cobbler from the recipe I found on here. Did I mention the champagne?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,784,605 times
Penne casserole with turkey cutlets made like chicken parmagiana and summer squash, zucchine and green peppers sauteed on the stove. S/F white chocolate pudding with red food coloring and a few of those red hot candies on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink