Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:50 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

I usually avoid canned soup as it does have so much sodium. But there is a frozen soup brand called Tabatchnick which has low sodium alternatives that are really low sodium (especially compared to canned soup!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 06:34 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I didn't know that, but if true what a great thing!!!

Skyegirl: I am a pretty darn good cook, majored in foods and nutrition (many years ago) and still never heard of this. Glad to know it though.

Now, as to why there is so much sodium in so many foods: the fat has been removed from so many things, the flavor has suffered, so sodium and sugar have been added to offset the loss. This is why, when one can, making as much as possible, from scratch is the best way to eat healthy and enjoy tasty foods.
If home cooking means you skip salt, fat and sugar then how would it taste any better? There is no magic formula, is there?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If home cooking means you skip salt, fat and sugar then how would it taste any better? There is no magic formula, is there?
It doesn't take much fat or salt to make home made soup taste great. Vegetables, herbs, spices, maybe a little wine and simmering. Maybe a little love, too.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
certainly doesn't mean you skip herbs and spices altogether. It simply means you control how much you use and you substitute herbs and spices for the fat, sugar, etc. Processed foods use almost no other spices except salt and sugar (if you call sugar a spice, which it really isn't) We use a lot of garlic, basil, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, lemon and lemon juice, wine, cilantro, and ginger for starters. Yes, of course we use some fat and salt. I also can a lot of veggies during the summer, which helps. Depending what type of soup you are making, there are endless possibilities for making soup tasty and still not overloading with sodium or sugars.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:52 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
I don't know about others but until just now I had no picture of how much one gram of salt is. First, I found out that on a weight basis, sodium≠salt. Specifically, 1500mg of sodium equates to 3.75 grams of salt. A more useful measure is that 1000mg of sodium equates to 1/2 tsp of salt, so a can of of low sodium soup has perhaps a quarter of tsp of salt. It doesn't seem a lot.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Because you can use fresh ingredients cooking at home, so that's a whole other way you can add desirable flavors. It's that simple.

Ever had a really delicious salad of fresh vegetables? I'm sure you have. Ever had a canned salad? There's a reason that doesn't exist. (at least I hope not!)

Or... ever has a dish with fresh basil on it? How does that compare to the taste of dried basil in a jar?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
Quote:
Who doesn't like salt, fat or sugar? Most foods without salt are just inedible but sometimes you can make up for it by seasonings and what not. May be I should start making my own soup.
Me.
Haven't used salt since I was 16, now 56. But guess what, did have a hearth attack....
Meanwhile I seen a guy ordering 6,yes six hot dogs. I thought, he is buying for his family. You guessed it, he ate them all...

Most canned food has a ton of salt, it is, according to my doctor, an old habit.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
for those who worry so much about the sodium in things like soup, do you ever eat hot dogs, how about polish sausage, Brats and what about lunch meat? All are loaded with sodium. The only way to totally control your sodium intake is to cook everything from scratch. I doubt most of us are doing this. I know, as healthy as we try to eat, as much as I love to cook and as seldom as we eat out, I still would be lying if I claimed I watch our sodium all the time or I cook from scratch all the time.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
In my opinion, and according to my taste buds, if it ain't got salt, it's flavorless. I'm sure that's what induces them to put salt in those things. They have a product that they need to sell, to other than cycling women who are now day 25 - 28. The rest of us aren't too concerned.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:33 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I use salt, but a lot of prepared foods tastes too salty to me. When I cook, I add salt in small amounts until the food no longer tastes "bland" to me. I always use less than a recipe calls for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink