Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

I'm envisioning roasting them with apples, shallots, quartered red potatoes and a mustard-cognac sauce. Not sure how I'd put it all together, but those are the elements I'd go with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 11:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
It depends, what do you mean by "liking them crispy"? If you mean all the way through, overcooked as people tended to do in the past with pork, I can't really help you and I feel sorry for your taste buds

Pork doesn't have to be cooked to 160 any longer, that is from days LONG ago past. I absolutely love a good, thick chop like you are talking about. I like mine best pretty strait-forward: seasoned liberally (all around, including and especially the fatty side) with coarse salt and pepper. Get your grill pan or cast iron skillet good and hot, then in with a bit of oil, and some garlic cloves for seasoning. Once that is good and heated to a ripping heat, on go the chops. A couple of minutes a side, including on the two long/thin sides, and it's just about done. If it's a really thick one you might need to finish in the oven, but if so use a good digital thermometer and pull it at about 135-138 internal temp, set on your cooking board and cover with foil and let it rest 6-8 minutes both to soak back up the juices before cutting, and to get the last few degrees of temp done-ness.

That should give you a really good, crispy sear, but still a tender, juicy delicious center.

Yea If you're going to overcook them give them away to someone more deserving!

(With the caveat you might just be talking about a crispy crust)

Old 01-12-2016, 11:45 AM

677 posts, read 653,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm envisioning roasting them with apples, shallots, quartered red potatoes and a mustard-cognac sauce. Not sure how I'd put it all together, but those are the elements I'd go with.
By the time your potatoes were roasted your pork would be hammered and leathery I'm pretty sure.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
By the time your potatoes were roasted your pork would be hammered and leathery I'm pretty sure.
So partially roast them beforehand or simply roast them separately from the apples and pork.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,086,067 times
I would brine the pork chops, dry them off, sear them on the stove top and then finish them off in the oven. The brine should help keep them nice and moist as you cook them.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:44 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I always like to grill those really thick chops.
Absolutely. Anyone who cooks meat like that in a pan should be boiled in oil...and that includes Gordon Ramsay. That's meant to be cooked over a fire.

An hour or more before cooking, I give 'em a little salt, fresh ground pepper, and Stubbs chili lime pork rub and let 'em set. When I'm ready to cook, they get basted with Sweet Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipoltle barbecue sauce.

The grill is on low, as low as it goes and I flip 'em about every ten minutes, it's about 40 minutes for inch and a half thick chops, gotta guess a little bit depending on thickness and ambient temperature (if it's real warm out, you might have to flip every 8 minutes), baste 'em again with the Sweet Baby Ray's every time you flip. You know they're about done when the juices start welling up to the surface, flip 'em one more time, baste 'em again just before you pull 'em off the grill and enjoy- a little black and crispy on the outside, tender and juicey on the inside.

If raspberries are hanging over on the porch, I'll collect a bunch of them, put 'em in a sauce pan with some sugar and make a nice sauce to go on them.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I would brine the pork chops, dry them off, sear them on the stove top and then finish them off in the oven. The brine should help keep them nice and moist as you cook them.

How To Cook Tender, Juicy Pork Chops Every Time | The Kitchn

Old 01-12-2016, 03:16 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I just egg and bread them lightly pan fry for a few minutes each side then stick them in the oven on baking pan and cook 15-20 minutes. They come out tender and juicy. I slightly undercook them too. Can't stand dry pork.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Pork chops are the only meat that I like to be fatty and cut thin, then sizzled to the point of overdone on a grill. Not dry, just overdone.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:42 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I went to the store today and they had these amazingly large, thick 3 inch center cut pork chops..
Winn Dixie, I buy my meat there regularly, their pork is very good.. They were average $3.50 for two center cut..

I breaded and fried two of them tonight. They were tender, tasty and what I'd expect from a good chop...
However, I like my fried chops to be on the very crispy side, these were just too darn thick to accomplish this.. Even with a fry and an oven finish, they just didn't have what I get from a thinner chop...

So now I have 6 more of these chops in the freezer.. I know I could Google a zillion recipies for stuffed, crockpotted, or a host of other recipies...

But I belong to a forum with other foodies, so I ask you...
What would you do..? And if you have a favorite recipe or link, please share it..
I'd go with stuffed and add mushrooms.....You about have to hit a solid butcher shop to get cuts like that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink