U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,956,414 times

Advertisements

So far nobody has mentioned haggis?

Liver, heart and tongue aren't offal, they're tasty stuff! What's originally inside the sausage casings, now that's offal! I generally save the "natural casings" and make the liver, heart, tongue and snout into liverwurst. The rest of the casings go towards different sausages made of other parts of the pig. Haven't tried haggis yet, although I think that one is mutton based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
In West Virginia, we had pon haus made fresh at the butcher near the farm. I live in Az and nobody here has heard of scrapple or pon haus. I want some now!!!! LOL May end up having to make my own.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM

25,449 posts, read 10,229,525 times
I love Scrapple!! My aunt (who is from Maryland) cooked some one time and I tried it, and now I can't get enough of it! I know what it is, and I know that it seems nasty, but honestly, if you get the scrapple crispy enough, man oh man is it good. Try it sometime with eggs and toast, it's a great Sunday breakfast!!

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,206 times
Wink Ah, Scrapple! YUM!!!!!!!

Hotzcatz, why would anyone mention haggis? The topic is scrapple! *lol* Haggis is Scottish, scrapple Pennsylvania Dutch... I grew up eating scrapple, when we'd go to my Gramma's for Christmas in Florida. Turns out, that was because my aunt & uncle brought it to HER when they came down from Maryland! *ha ha* I LOVE scrapple!!!! That may be because I didn't know what was in it until I hit my 40s. *lol* I brought some up in my suitcase, frozen solid, just last week, after a visit with Mom in Florida. My husband & his younger son, who had never had it before, both enjoyed it. {& I had even told them what it was made of! *ha ha*} I wish I could find it up here!! It is DELICIOUS, but only if it is sliced THIN & cooked to a nice crisp! {The same way I like my bacon, actually. }
I wish I could find some good grits up here too. {I'm a Hoosier.} When I'm down south I always order it in restaurants, then make the wait staff disgusted when I proceed to cover it with butter, milk & lots of sugar. *ha ha* Ah, Childhood Memories!!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
I make deer scrapple and there is nothing bad that goes in it. We boil the ribs and bones for about 3 1/2 hours adding pork liver and pork lard. Grind everything up, (not the bones) strain the water add spices and buckwheat flour to thicken and let it cool thats it. NOTHING BAD IN DEER SCRAPPLE!!! Take about 6 to 8 hours to make.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,413,505 times
I see this in Virginia, since I moved here, all the time. It's like some kind of Breakfast Spam.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:42 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I see this in Virginia, since I moved here, all the time. It's like some kind of Breakfast Spam.
Bite your tongue! Spam is "spiced ham" loaf, apparently held together with salt. Scrapple is food of the gods.

Now I need to go buy some Rapa scrapple.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:07 PM

90 posts, read 84,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMGOK View Post
Mother used to make it for us as kids, scrapple eggs for breakfast, and I would eat it again to this day, if only I could find it in Oklahoma!

How I miss it!

My father in law is from Philadelphia and now he lives in Oklahoma. We bought some scrapple but I am not sure if it was in wal mart or in Kroger in the frozen meals section.

Being originally from Spain, were pig is the most important meat, I love anything pork, and specially is the best. I liked scrapple a lot.

In Spain we love morcilla, blood sausage, made with blood and rice.

But some bars make delicious tapas with ears, mouth, and of course ham.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardinTexas View Post
My father in law is from Philadelphia and now he lives in Oklahoma. We bought some scrapple but I am not sure if it was in wal mart or in Kroger in the frozen meals section.

Being originally from Spain, were pig is the most important meat, I love anything pork, and specially is the best. I liked scrapple a lot.

In Spain we love morcilla, blood sausage, made with blood and rice.

But some bars make delicious tapas with ears, mouth, and of course ham.
When we were in Tucson, we could get scrapple in the frozen section at Fry's (Kroger). I don't remember seeing it in Walmart when we were there.

Now that we're back in Delaware, it's everywhere!

I've never had any form of blood sausage.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
8 years I lived in So Jersey....tried Scrapple ONCE when I first got there....spent the next 8yrs tryin to get the taste out of my mouth......and now....in one instant....it all comes back to me.....yechhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Some things do NOT need to be experienced first hand. Never had scrapple, never want to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink