Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

My Dad was a PA boy, he loved Scrapple! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM

709 posts, read 955,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Panhaus, scrapple and goetta are similar products but they are different. They are similar in that they are all produced during the butchering process. They are different as they use different grains. Scrapple uses buckwheat, panhaus uses cornmeal, and goetta uses pin oats and occasionally some beef products.

My in-laws used to make panhaus but it has been a couple of generations as it has been 40 years since they have kept hogs. Certain members of my family still make goetta but from higher quality cuts which kind of defeats the purpose of the product.
Most recipes I have seen for scrapple use cornmeal or cornmeal and wheat flour.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
When I lived in WV we made our own. My neighbors and friends would butcher anywhere from 8-12 hogs a year and we had 3 big iron kettles going. One for Ponhaus (scrapple), one for lard, and one for water to wash.

Ponhaus is fantastic to make. You take all the bones with meat still on it, cleaned liver, kidneys, tongue, jowl meat etc and boil it down in a little water until meat falls off the bone. Then you remove all contents from the kettle to a large table, and everyone picks all the bones and cartilage out, leaving all product on the table.

Then you run all of this product through a grinder and back into the pot with the broth. Boil, add cornmeal, pepper and a little salt until it just pulls from the sides. Pour into molds and let sit overnight.

All of the kids, and I mean ALL of them, would gather around that iron kettle and eat the scraps out of the pot!

It tasted NOTHING like rappa brand. It's excellent sliced thin, lightly fried and served on toast. It's like a Braunschweiger / cornmeal bonanza. That is one of the thing I miss about 'home'. You cannot find good Ponhaus in Montana. If I want any I'll have to get a small kettle and make it myself.
That sounds awesome!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia are just about the only places where you can get scrapple with grits. Farther north, no grits; farther south, no scrapple.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
I have a hunk of Habbersett Scrapple sitting in my freezer even as we speak.

In Austin TX.

I'm trying to convince some of the locals to give it a try.

I'll report back.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Believe it or not, it can be found here in Rio Grande Valley of Texas, in the freezer section of the grocery store. We, nor anyone we know, buys this. Every October or so, we are inundated here with people from up north--they are called "Winter Texans" in order to make them think they are welcome additions to the local community.

I've also seen lutefisk in the grocery's freezer section.

I guess the local grocery store managers think that these items are something the "Winter Texans" want to see. From reading about it, they may be coming here to escape it!

I have no doubt whatsoever that locals would never buy the stuff.
This is just wrong on so many levels

A South Texas native, having been all over Pennsylvania, I loved scrapple from the first bite. I inqired about it and knew how it was made, learned to make it myself. At one time I was the cook in our fishing/hunting camps. Once on a week long fishing trip down in "Big Shell" *PINS with a large mixed anglo/mexican group I made scrapple the night before a Norther blew in. The next morning it was cold and that bunch loved it with the eggs, bacon and potatoes. Some wanted to learn how to make it themselves. It is about as Mexican as you can get, cornmeal and pig, think tamales and offal, menudo mexicano.

In Penn. I learned "panhoss" is like Texas chilli, there are hundreds of family recipes and to your taste. The spices, sage, pepper, savory and thyme can vary accordingly. In camp I used simple Jimmy Dean "Hot" sage sausage and yellow cornmeal, serving it with the traditional grape jelly on the side. I make it crispy cooking it on a comal. I also used a little chili petine to heat it up to Tex-Mex standards.

Folks that will shave a pigs head, wrap it in foil and a gunny sack, throw it in a hole in the ground with cactus leaves and hot rocks on top, to cook overnight - are not to squeamish about "parts."

You are absolutely right about that "Lutefish." A man could just throw a speckled trout in a plastic pickle barrel with a quart of ammonia, set it behind the garage for a week . . . voilà - Lutefish

* padre island national seashore - Google Search

Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Believe it or not, it can be found here in Rio Grande Valley of Texas, in the freezer section of the grocery store. We, nor anyone we know, buys this. Every October or so, we are inundated here with people from up north--they are called "Winter Texans" in order to make them think they are welcome additions to the local community.

I've also seen lutefisk in the grocery's freezer section.

I guess the local grocery store managers think that these items are something the "Winter Texans" want to see. From reading about it, they may be coming here to escape it!

I have no doubt whatsoever that locals would never buy the stuff.
scrapple sells up here too in maine

not every store has it but most do in the freezer

years ago I was a meat manager in a supermarket,, and a couple had asked for scrapple- I wrote it down,,,called the warehouse and ordered a case.

this frozen mystery meat comes in - (back then before cameras, we liked to sample the new items so we could honestly recommend it- we thawed a package,,,, opened it,, sliced it took it into the deli to cook/fry and for something that looks pretty gross,,,it tasted pretty good!!
from that point on (25 yrs ago) ive pushed the stores to sell scrapple

Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM

802 posts, read 642,777 times
Love scrapple. No one in North Idaho has heard of it. I have it shipped from Habbersett in 8, 1 lb, packages. Now I've got to get one of those out of the freezer. Yum!
Husband won't touch it, but he loves Spam! Go figure!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
Born, raised and still live in Charlotte, NC. I never had scrapple until my wife from Johnson City, TN introduced it to me. We can get in the grocery store in Charlotte but I've never seen it in a restaurant. I keep telling my wife the way food prices are going, pretty soon it will be the only meat we can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink