Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you cook in weekdays?
1 day 0 0%
2 days 3 6.12%
3 days 10 20.41%
4+ days 36 73.47%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:40 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
It helps if you sit down and plan your meals for the next week before you go to the groceries. I do this not just for time- saving, but money- saving, as well. If I am able to prep a lot on a specific night and then freeze, I will do that, too.

I have found it works best when I try to plan meals that use the same, versatile ingredients. That way, by the time I get home and am pulling stuff out of the fridge, half of it is already prepped from the prior night.
This is great advice, because it sounds like what the OP is doing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
most days I eat dinner first unless its a simple meal I am making. most days I eat first and then cook for the next day while eating dinner or after dinner.
isn't a very efficient use of her time and resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:18 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
As a single person, it's often hard. There are some things I will eat until they are gone - I'll buy hamburger, tenderloin, boneless tenders, and some cuts of steak and eat that after work. I'll occasionally take leftovers but am not a fan of leftovers at all.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:36 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
I usually cook a fairly large meal on Sunday, and then eat that for lunch (i eat a late lunch, like around 3-3:30 in the afternoon) for the rest of the work week..... I am single, so don't have a family to accomodate....

Old 01-28-2016, 02:52 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I cook every night, I work 4 days/week. I get home at 4:30, so it's not too terrible to spend an hour in the kitchen, and I do like to cook. I do whatever prep work I can do ahead of time on the weekends. And the hubby has a somewhat flexible schedule, so if I need him to turn on the crockpot, like today, he can usually manage to make it work. He can also make a beef roast IF I have everything he needs. That's the extent of his cooking though. If we have leftovers, he'll eat it for lunch, unless I tell him not to, which I will do if there's enough for both of us for another full meal.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:26 PM

442 posts, read 496,246 times
Every night. We eat out about 2x a month. I cook from scratch. And I work 7a-445p 5 days a week. Plus I pull OT at least one night a week.

I am a glutton for punishment.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:02 PM

123 posts, read 84,273 times
When I was working and had kids at home, I cooked every day. I used the slow cooker many times. With microwave and slow cooker it doesn't take much time. I kept the casserole-type things that cooked in the oven for weekends.

One of the things that was helpful to me was that I sat down and wrote out a dinner menu for every day for six weeks, labeling weeks one thru six. We rotated through this menu every six weeks. I had a master shopping list which covered everything I bought from the store which I printed every week and posted on the fridge by the dinner menu chart. Any items that needed to be bought were checked and I made sure I bought that week's dinner menu ingredients as well.

So I always knew what I was going to make and I always knew I had all the items needed to make it. It also had the added benefit of keeping the kids and the husband from going, "what's for dinner?" It was on the fridge. They always knew. My son's best friend knew, too, and it was uncanny how often my son asked if he could stay for dinner the nights his favorite meals came around.

Last edited by Achelois; 01-28-2016 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Typos.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
It seems like majority of people cook daily with 1-2 day skip. How do you guys find the energy/motivation to cook everyday? How do you not get irritated or made at the cooking process? how long does it take to cook and how do you fit other activities in your evening (gym, tv time)?
I can usually make eggs, a hamburger or some chicken in about 20 minutes. I put the food on the stove then go sit down and watch tv or fold laundry or something like that.

Think about investing in a crock pot and a slow rice cooker. Each of these appliances allows you to make food that will provide you with several days worth of left overs.

Other easy meals include canned soup, store bought frozen veggies, frozen pizza, basically any type of Mexican food, cereal, top ramen, guacamole..

PS. Eating out all the time is expensive and unhealthy. After reading this thread it's no wonder there are so many chunkies in this country.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I said 3 days but it's usually 4 days and I try and make enough for left overs for another night. I get take out maybe 1- 2 times a week.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:01 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Full-time employee and full-time student here.

I do NOT cook at all during the week. I can't.

I love it, and it relaxes me, but I don't have the time.

I cook on weekends and make a big batch to get me through.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
Bought the latest Crockpot with the stirring technology and bells and whistles. Used once 1 time but looks great on countertop. * For Sale - Crockpot - Cheap*!
Latest fail was Crockpot so I am in Organic Frozen Dinner mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink