U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 7,255,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
That is so funny. I have to be honest, I didn't "get it" either until I read what people posted explaining it. That is very funny!
Okay I didn't "get it" either until I read one of the posts above! OH MY! I once made blueberry pie from scratch and put a tablespoon (yes tablespoon) of NUTMEG in it. My grandma who was always my biggest supporter couldn't even eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM

6,848 posts, read 9,817,354 times
One of my first dishes I made as a newly-wed was a nice pot roast with potatoes and carrots. Well, that one turned out okay... and we had plenty left over. So, I thought I'd make a nice beef stew with the left overs the next night... cut up the meat and added the potatoes and carrots... and was trying to thicken the gravy... so, I added catsup... so then it was too red.

So, in my attempt to "color it down" to brown... I had this bright idea to add some green food coloring... 'cause red and green make brown, right? OMG... no!!! It made it green... and nothing I did would turn it any other color! Can you imagine beef, potatoes and carrots floating around in green??? It was so gross-looking I couldn't even look at it, much less eat it! LoL!!!

But, I learned I had a keeper in a hubby... 'cause he sat right there and ate it... even though I couldn't even stomach the look of it!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,332,656 times
What a brave hubby you have!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 9,817,354 times
Quote:
What a brave hubby you have!!!
Poor thing suffered through many a meal I didn't know how to cook in the beginning! Might as well have called him "Mikey", he'd eat anything!

Thank goodness he cooked some too, so at least we didn't starve!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,868,678 times
Quote:
I have another one...when I was around 11, I wanted to surprise my mom and make her a birthday cake. I had seen her make cakes but never made one myself. I couldn't ask for her help as it was really important for me to have it be a surprise. I got her recipe book and made her a chocolate cake from scratch. The problem turned out to be (and I had no idea I had made this mistake) that the recipe asked for 1/2 tsp. of salt and I added 1/2 a CUP. We the cake looked good and my mom was surpise and happy. We were all even more surprised when we cut it and took a bite! Oh my gosh the taste of sale was SOOOOO strong, you couldn't eat it at all after that first bite. Well don't they say it is the thought that counts?

I did the same thing with fudge. I had canisters - one was sugar, the other was salt. Instead of putting 1 cup of suger in the fudge, (or whatever the recipe called for), I added the salt in error. Oh my, I'm glad I taste tested it before I took it to work.

After I got my first crock, I found a chicken recipe that called for green olives and 12 oz. of beer. I thought that sounded interesting. After a few bites I threw the whole thing away.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,572,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
One of my first dishes I made as a newly-wed was a nice pot roast with potatoes and carrots. Well, that one turned out okay... and we had plenty left over. So, I thought I'd make a nice beef stew with the left overs the next night... cut up the meat and added the potatoes and carrots... and was trying to thicken the gravy... so, I added catsup... so then it was too red.

So, in my attempt to "color it down" to brown... I had this bright idea to add some green food coloring... 'cause red and green make brown, right? OMG... no!!! It made it green... and nothing I did would turn it any other color! Can you imagine beef, potatoes and carrots floating around in green??? It was so gross-looking I couldn't even look at it, much less eat it! LoL!!!
Too bad it wasn't St. Patrick's Day! That is hilarious!

Old 02-23-2008, 04:10 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,227,249 times
Default Thanks for the laughs

When I stop rolling on the floor, perhaps I can add my own great attempts a la cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink