Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
First off, Bulldog is spot on!

Second, VERY sweet of you to get out of your comfort zone and do something special for your man. That is what the day is all about, something special.

Another idea is to buy a CI pan, or enamel coated CI pot/pan. Worth every penny, IMHO. enamel you don't have to worry so much about how you clean it and seasoning it.

If/when you do get one to try this, open all windows in the kitchen and make sure vent is on. Max heat = some smoke. lol

If you have a meat thermometer that can go in the meat while it's in the oven that really helps! First time it's hard to know if it's done enough, or over done without one.

Also, AGAIN Bulldog is right. He will be happy no matter what you cook for him.

If all goes bad, cook in only an apron! Food will be the very last thing he cares about.

Oh Lord yes the Apron only cooking technique is ALWAYS appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Nope that would burn and turn acrid.

For a perfect 1.5 inch steak.

1) Let meat come up to room temp covered with plastic.
2) Pat completely dry with paper towel. Moisture bad for searing.
3) Light rub with canola or safflower oil.
4) Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and corse salt. Quick massage into meat. Let rest for two minutes for the salt to dissolve.
5) Toss into med high hot well seasoned cast iron skillet. FYI you can sear in cast iron n a lower heat because of its excellent heat conductivity and retention.
6) Don't move meat until it released about a minute or two. Use tongs to grab meat and hold so you can brown all sides.
7) Toss in center of pan cover briefly for two minutes off heat.
8) Crank on broiler. Set rack as close as possible. If electric broiler turn on between step 6 & 7 to heat up. Make sure to leave oven door open slightly so the element doesn't turn off if you have electric.
9) Uncover, set skillet so it get maximum broiler coverage.
10) IMPORTANT: DONT WALK AWAY!
11) Watch the meat, when it hits a perfect light char, pull out and flip. Repeat other side.
12) Pull meat, instant read thermometer 130, toss on warm plate, tent with foil, let rest for 10min.

Before you toss meat under broiler hit it with a instant read thermometer. If you are already at 130 before it goes in forget it your done. Your meat wasn't thick enough. If you have a thinner piece of meat you can go right under broiler but that's a whole different set of instructions.

Also fattier cuts of meat work better because there is more room for error before over cooking.

Family doesn't call me the Meat Man for nothing.

EAT!!!!!!!

Yum!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:45 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
My husband is the grill man. He has a lower end kamado grill, and my goodness, are those some good steaks. He is so picky, I'm not even allowed to go to the store to buy them.

I would never cook one for him, there would be no point.

I would choose something else, that can be cooked easier in the house.

I have learned NOT to use my broiler unless the cook fan is on high AND open all windows and doors.

An evening of fire alarms is NOT romantic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-12-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

An evening of fire alarms is NOT romantic.

Bahahaha! My husband used to say that was my timer.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Bulldog, what about black pepper burning? If someone likes a lot of pepper, would that cause it to have a bitter taste?
I tend to use just salt in cast iron, but I am aggressive with the pepper....and the heat with CI.

Just curious what you think.

Thanks Bulldog!

OH, BTW......NEVER SHALL A MAN COOK IN ONLY AN APRON!!! So don't get any ideas Bulldog!

LOL!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:22 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:

OH, BTW......NEVER SHALL A MAN COOK IN ONLY AN APRON!!! So don't get any ideas Bulldog!

LOL!

Not needed. The mere fact that a man is cooking is sexy enough.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Bulldog, what about black pepper burning? If someone likes a lot of pepper, would that cause it to have a bitter taste?
I tend to use just salt in cast iron, but I am aggressive with the pepper....and the heat with CI.

Just curious what you think.

Thanks Bulldog!

LOL!
Meh, never had a problem with the pepper. Just don't use a crap load.

Dude Don't lie...

You know you want a backside selfie of me in just my Manpron, welding gloves and engineers boots.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 AM

And no one every shot a man while he was doing the dishes, either.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I was just working on my grocery list, planning to make a nice dinner at home this weekend for Valentine's Day. My thoughts? Heck if I know! That prompts my question, what do you like to cook for Valentine's Day for your sweetie?
Probably pizza. The Walking Dead's back on!

Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Nice tall glass of loneliness served with a side of sadness that's deep fried with my own tears.... mmmm... gourmet meal of pathetic!!

Sorry... I'm going through a separation... so this Valentines Day not so fun... but I laughed t the above.. hahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink