Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Depends on the knives and pans. I usually hand wash pans because they take up so much dishwasher space and I often need to use them again before the dishwasher gets filled enough to run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Another consideration is that the dishwasher does not get run until it is full; in the meantime the knives and pots and pans may need to be used again and won't do you any good if they're sitting dirty, greasy and cold in the dishwasher.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I would not put my Wusthof knives in the dishwasher, nor my All-Clad cookware.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
I wash knives (most) and pans by hand. (I also recall the D W instructions having said that wood or metal is not good in a D W). My cookware is mostly stainless w/ copper bottoms, still looking great after years of use. (Not saying I always polish the copper, but the stainless always looks good). It's funny to some that I still have my "Revere Ware", but I would have gotten more since, if I could. I love them. I think non-stick pans are a pain and never hold up.

I have been doing this if having cooked something that creates a greasy, somewhat burnt-on mess. I sprinkle baking soda on the pan and let it sit a few minutes. I can then easily wipe it out entirely with a paper towel and throw that in the trash, no grease down the drain. Then, wash the pan like normal. Yay. I do put glass Pyrex ware in the dishwasher, however it seems it is mostly better to scrub, since there may still be residue afterwards.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:53 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Some knives and pans you have to hand wash and dry well because they will rust.

Cast iron pots and carbon steel knives, which many chefs prefer, will rust if not washed in a dishwasher.

Knives are REALLY easy to hand wash anyway. I pretty much hand wash all my cooking utensils now.

Cast iron pans can be a little messy but I hand wash them and use a scraper and or salt to get anything sticking to them off. Then I dry them fast and put them over an open flame until all of the water evaporates. After that I put on a thin layer of grease.

Love my cast iron now.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
My wife insists on hand washing her knives and frying pans as if hot water and dishwasher soap would do some damage. Thoughts?
We never put either in the dish washer unless it is an accident. Once in awhile spoiled brat will accidentally put the good knives in, but that is rare. I know, a lot of manufacturers say it will not harm the surface of skillets, but it only takes a few minutes to wash them and better to be safe than sorry. I might add, our knives and our skillets are not expensive, but have lasted over the years. I will admit, on rare occasions when the dishwasher has just a little room in it, I might put a small sauce pan and lid in it to fill it up.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I wash knives (most) and pans by hand. (I also recall the D W instructions having said that wood or metal is not good in a D W). My cookware is mostly stainless w/ copper bottoms, still looking great after years of use. (Not saying I always polish the copper, but the stainless always looks good). It's funny to some that I still have my "Revere Ware", but I would have gotten more since, if I could. I love them. I think non-stick pans are a pain and never hold up.

I have been doing this if having cooked something that creates a greasy, somewhat burnt-on mess. I sprinkle baking soda on the pan and let it sit a few minutes. I can then easily wipe it out entirely with a paper towel and throw that in the trash, no grease down the drain. Then, wash the pan like normal. Yay. I do put glass Pyrex ware in the dishwasher, however it seems it is mostly better to scrub, since there may still be residue afterwards.
I LOVE Revere Ware. I got all my late grandma's.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Well I guess I am hand washing. I was working under the premise "never do a job a machine can do better". Add to that a touch of laziness.
Then don't use the dishwasher, because your hands CAN do the job better. Why? Because the dishwasher is the most overrated appliance there is. If you're lazy, hand wash ALL your dishes. It takes far more time to use a dishwasher than not, but people are so used to using dishwashers they fail to realize it. My wife and I have argued a lot about my refusal to use the dishwasher, and she finally gave up and let me hand wash all the dishes, especially since I wash all our dishes most of the time. Just think about what you have to do to actually use the dishwasher:

Dishwasher routine:

1. You have to wash (whoops, I meant rinse) the dishes before inserting them in the dishwasher.
2. Then insert them in the dishwasher a certain way, and only certain dishes can go in there. The rest can only be hand washed anyway.
3. The entire thing has to be full, or else you're wasting water/electricity (but handwashing dishes uses little/no electricity).
4. Wife comes along, complains you haven't loaded it the right way, the proceeds to rearrange all the dishes so the stupid thing will actually "sanitize" them.
5. Insert expensive dishwashing soap so the dishwasher can do the job that you have already done.
6. Dishwasher runs forever, using water and electricity, then you have to unload it.
7. If your dishwasher is like ours, we have to dry off some of our dishes because they are still drippy. But not all are like that.
8. Occasionally, we have to use this expensive junk called "dishwasher cleaner" which supposedly cleans the dishwasher, which your hands do not require.

Hand washing routine:

1. Run hot soapy water on one side of the sink.
2. Insert dishes, then wash.
3. Rinse dishes on other side of the sink.
4. Drain the dishes in the dishwasher/strainer, loading them any old way.
5. Put them away, and maybe dry some of them because they are still drippy.

For those who claim the dishwasher sanitizes dishes in a way our hands cannot, even if it does, who cares? No one who still hand washes dishes nor any of our ancestors have died from not using a dishwasher. BTW, I am (gasp!) a woman, so I am definitely an odd duck RE: my feelings about dishwashers.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
I have a Teflon coated pan I use almost ever day for cooking my eggs. I only use coconut oil and cook nothing else in that pan.
Each time I merely wipe it out with a paper towel and that's it. It never sees water . water ruins it.
The knife I use every day is merely wiped off or the blade alone is washed ,I never allow the handle to get wet I sharpen it may be once a year if that.

I cook some foods on the paper plate I eat on and often use a paper towel to absorb to absorb the fat or water in the meat when I use the microwave initially .

Every thing else is hand washed the moment I finish cooking with them , it's easier to get pan clean the sooner the job is done.
As a mechanic, I tend to clean my tools before putting them down, other wise the grease transfers to something else, and greasy tools tend to pick up more contaminants (dust and dirt).

Old 02-17-2016, 07:41 AM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

For those who claim the dishwasher sanitizes dishes in a way our hands cannot, even if it does, who cares? No one who still hand washes dishes nor any of our ancestors have died from not using a dishwasher. BTW, I am (gasp!) a woman, so I am definitely an odd duck RE: my feelings about dishwashers.
LOL... My wife would agree with you.
I, however, MUCH prefer the dishwasher, and not only due to laziness. For starters, it uses VERY LITTLE water, actually. Probably less than it takes for you to fill up your sink with hot soapy water.
Second, yes, it sanitizes. I don't have to leave my chopping board I used to cut raw chicken in a solution of hot disinfectant.
Third, no need for pot scrubbers. That chicken baking rack I use is a MAJOR P.I.A. to wash by hand after baking chicken. The dishwasher renders it spotless, and effortlessly.

Also, I'm a very busy man: I don't like to spend 30 minutes to an hour scrubbing away at dishes when I have a machine that can do it without supervision. And I don't really rinse the dishes off before they go in there either. I just remove solids (rice, crumbs, etc.).

I believe in the dishwasher. And if you were my wife, we'd routinely get into arguments over the matter. LOL. :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink