Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,929,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And what I meant by them not letting me opt out of ordering a drink is when I order the value meal, I don't want to pay the $1.50 for a drink I won't drink, since they don't have the freestyle machines. When I ask them to take the Coke charge off, they won't, so the drink is a useless additional charge I don't want, so I just go somewhere else that has drinks I like.
Why order a meal when you don't want the drink? Just order a hamburger and fries. Then you won't have a useless additional charge of something you don't want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,839,073 times
Our Atlanta food critic ate, and reviewed the BK hotdog. He said it was an Oscar Meyer product, so right away, I knew I'd never try it, I hate their dogs. But the rest of the review was pretty dismal. He said the BK cashier tried to dissuade him from ordering it.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,769,969 times
When I eat a hotdog, the frankfurter has to be in a natural casing and have some snap.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,500,643 times
The best hot dog in the world is always when you've already got a couple empty beer cups crumpled at your feet at the ball game on a hot day.

Shame it sets you back $8.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:21 AM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Just tried one, out of curiosity....meh.

My gold standard is Allen Brothers. Not widely available, and costly. Then, I dunno, Boar's Head with natural casings are okay.

These BK dogs weren't even up to Nathan's standards. Maybe like ball park franks (not the brand). I realize taste is subjective.

But meh.
that sounds bad. not that i was expecting them to be good.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,764,491 times
So, against my better judgement, I tried one for the first time today...

It was such a let down.

I agree that it is nothing exceptional. It tastes very salty IMHO and the dog I did try was just the classic grilled hot dog.

I was hoping for something Coney Islandish...heck, even something comparable to a Ballpark hot dog.

It tastes similar to a generic/no frills hot dog you can get at your local grocery store.

Save your $2.50.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:49 PM

40 posts, read 42,455 times
I love the $1 hot dogs at gas stations so I'm probably a target audience for this. I can't wait to try it next week.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:39 AM

4,171 posts, read 3,365,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
So, against my better judgement, I tried one for the first time today...

It was such a let down.

I agree that it is nothing exceptional. It tastes very salty IMHO and the dog I did try was just the classic grilled hot dog.

I was hoping for something Coney Islandish...heck, even something comparable to a Ballpark hot dog.

It tastes similar to a generic/no frills hot dog you can get at your local grocery store.

Save your $2.50.

Still feeling squicky today. What was I thinking??

Old 02-28-2016, 03:03 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,870,942 times
Quote:
They don't have the freestyle machines at the Burger Kings where I live. If they did, I would still eat there. And what I meant by them not letting me opt out of ordering a drink is when I order the value meal, I don't want to pay the $1.50 for a drink I won't drink, since they don't have the freestyle machines. When I ask them to take the Coke charge off, they won't, so the drink is a useless additional charge I don't want, so I just go somewhere else that has drinks I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Of course they won't unbundle the beverage, it's where the entire margin in a value meal is made. The only reason it is rung up as a separate line item is because various taxing authorities tax beverages differently than food purchases. The actual 'discount' in a value meal is pulled from the 90% margin on the soft drink, regardless of what your receipt indicates.
If BK won't unbundle the beverage, fine; offer customers another diet drink than Diet Coke. Because only having Diet Coke as a diet beverage is really shooting themselves in the foot for many customers, I imagine. Although I have only anecdotal evidence, Diet Coke's popularity seems to have decreased significantly since Coke Zero came around and Diet Dr. Pepper is reasonably popular as well. As it is, I, and other customers, won't eat there at all because I don't want to pour my $2.00 drink down the sink.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,649,334 times
Quote:
If BK won't unbundle the beverage, fine; offer customers another diet drink than Diet Coke. Because only having Diet Coke as a diet beverage is really shooting themselves in the foot for many customers, I imagine. Although I have only anecdotal evidence, Diet Coke's popularity seems to have decreased significantly since Coke Zero came around and Diet Dr. Pepper is reasonably popular as well. As it is, I, and other customers, won't eat there at all because I don't want to pour my $2.00 drink down the sink.
The bundled price is the price for the bundle. If you don't want the bundle, and don't want to pay the price for the bundle, then you can certainly order a la carte. You could also ask for bottled water - that's about as "diet" as it gets and it IS an option at Burger King.

In addition, most people who buy at Burger King don't go for the diet soda. They go for the solid foods, and the soda is an after-thought. So BK adds it in for a nominal fee into a bundled price. So does McDonald's, and Wendy's and every other fast food joint in the country. The purpose of a bundle is to get you to order things you wouldn't normally order, in the hopes that you'll be fooled into thinking you're saving money.

Just skip the drink, as for a kid's cup of tap water, and save yourself the 20 cents by ordering a la carte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink