Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 03:08 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times

Advertisements

I love the seeds...I wish they had a seed bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Some people who most of their life ate just the common white bread, have hard time with the more healthy choices with seeds. Others just don't like the novelties. But there is a bunch of people who actually want seedy bread, by informed choice. I love seedy breads, but I was raised on them. I don't even touch that square white stuff.

Of course, people with allergies have plausible reason to ask for the plain bread, but they should not call other people's healthy choices an "obsession"...

Yum!!!!!!!!!!! I miss that!!
Spoiler

Spoiler

Last edited by elnina; 02-25-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 03:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Sesame seeds and poppy seeds add so much flavor, I love them!

Old 02-25-2016, 03:31 PM

126,274 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some people who most of their life ate just the common white bread, have hard time with the more healthy choices with seeds. Others just don't like the novelties. But there is a bunch of people who actually want seedy bread, by informed choice. I love seedy breads, but I was raised on them. I don't even touch that square white stuff.

Of course, people with allergies have plausible reason to ask for the plain bread, but they should not call other people's healthy choices an "obsession"...
Same here elnina I grew up with homemade coarse bread with its seeds in it and on it as well a few buns.There is nothing like it for me.I buy my bread from a Polish bakery or from the German store,depending where I am . I must say I truly miss that bread in Bavaria especially after a trip back.It does not taste the same here in Canada.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:05 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
My favorite breads have an abundance of seeds throughout, and my favorite bagel is an everything bagel. I guess I like "seedy" breads.
Oh yeah, preach it! Everything bagels, hallelujah!

Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
My husband hates seeds in/on his bread, but I like them other than rye. I've never been a fan of rye. I always buy seedless bread since he doesn't like seeds, EXCEPT I will occasionally buy hamburger buns with sesame seeds because I just love them. A neighbor when I was growing up used to grill hamburgers with worchestershire sauce and sesame seed buns and I thought they were gourmet burgers. They were, compared to my family's plain burgers!

Old 02-25-2016, 04:30 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I love the roasted nutty flavor of sesame seeds on rolls and especially bagels, my favorite bagel is a poppy seed with lots of butter.. Rye bread just isn't as good to me without caraway seeds..

Old 02-25-2016, 05:10 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,005 times
While I empathize with your husbands plight, trust me there is no obsession with seeds. When it comes to food allergies, it seems that if it's edible, someone, somewhere is allergic to it. Cow's milk, eggs, nuts, fish, wheat, soy, shellfish are all allergens but are commonly used ingredients in restaurants everywhere.

I just the hope that the day never comes when foods will be banned because a segment of our population are allergic to them. Remember NY city Mayor Bloomberg and his salt bans. It's a little off topic but it still worth mentioning what the moronic mayor did which had no scientific basis.

It's Time to End the War on Salt - Scientific American

Old 02-25-2016, 06:08 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Since your husband is allergic, I would think they would take this seriously. If he had a reaction, they would be liable.
That's ridiculously absurd. We are the only ones who are "liable" for our health. A restaurant removing seeds or washing knives is a courtesy only.

Or, one could avoid bread altogether by asking a sandwich to be wrapped in lettuce in place of bread.

Again, the only way to be sure is to do your own cooking. End of story.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:23 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I never heard about salt BANS. As far as I know there is a city rule requiring many chain eateries to post warnings on menu items that are high in sodium. Not sure what's wrong with that. People should have right to know what they eat - the ingredients and calorie amount.
The rule mandates restaurants with 15 or more locations nationwide to post a salt shaker encased in a black triangle as a warning symbol next to menu items with more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium, the daily limit recommended by many nutritionists.
That's a LOT of salt on a plate. Lots of people have no clue what they eat. They should have enough data to make informed decision. I wish every restaurant would post that info. Some send people to look at the website, but who actually is going to do that kind of search in a restaurant, before ordering the food?
Glad that yesterday the judge upheld the NYC rule on restaurant salt warnings.
I am already happy when I see the calories listed on the menu.

Last edited by elnina; 02-25-2016 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink