U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:41 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,944,907 times

Advertisements

By coincidence I just made a LARGE POT of PAPRIKAS Yesterday. Your welcome to come over for dinner if you wish. Bring a loaf of French Bread/Sourdough/or Russian Rye with you. Anyone goes well with the dish. HERE GO'S- You will need 1-1/2 lbs of stew beef(cut into sm pieces) soak in pan of water 2 hrs to drain blood. Keep changing the water. Into large pot add 1 sm onion (diced)about 2 ozs of cooking oil, SAUTE until onions start to brown a little,ADD whole garlic the size of quarter cut into small pieces and meat to pot stirring untill meat turns white. When white, add 1/2 tsp red paprika and 1/2 tsp salt. Simmer approx 20-30 min stirring occasionally untill meat starts looking good.While the meat has been cooking, you need to cut up some carrots into small pieces,Cellery also into sm pieces,3-5-6 potatos cut up into sm cubes (matter of choice on how much) to taste. When the 20-30 min is up ADD Carrots,Cellery,potato cubes into POT.STIR a couple of times. ADD WATER to pot , enough to barely cover ingredients and cook at mediem heat 20-30 min, stirring every 5-6 min. After about 15- 20 min taste a potato to see if it is done. Enough for 4-6 people depending on size of portions or 2nds. I am a retired widower and my pot lasts me 3 meals. Almost dinner time , got to go. Stefhen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
thanks Steve, it sounds delicious, I added that to my recipe file!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:02 PM

Getting a little senile and forgot a couple of things. The gravey from the Paprikas is great for dippinig the bread into and that is why I recommended the 3 choices. Reflecting back there is a CHICKEN Paprikas with dumplings that my mother also made. It had a sour cream base/red paprika colored flavor. Its been a while so when I perfect the batch, I will post it . Thanks for bearing with me. Stefhen

Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
the chicken one sounds wonderful, too! I wonder if the dumplings are like german spaetzle, got lots of experience making those! Hey, I have those moments, too!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
wow, I made these for dinner, steamed cabbage leaves in the microwave then used the same stuffing as my peppers (above thread) roll, seam side down.. Tomato sauce, parmesian cheese,foil cover, 1.2 hr 40 in.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times
Steve...My Grandma, who was Chech, made her stuffed cabbage exactly like you do.
I have a question though...being you cook on the stove, how does the top cook as well as the bottom? I can remember HUGE pots cooking....almost the size of a lobster pot...I know the cabbage on thew bottom prevents burning but I was wondering if I do it in a covered casserole dish in the ove, if that would work out too?

And since you are so full of good recipes, what is your version of authentic hungarian goulash and your opinion on the add pepppers/DON"T add peppers controversy?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 AM

Ok let me see now. In cooking the paprikas I left out 2 spices?? due to peoples different tastes. Some like a not too spicey and some like it HOT to the palate. You can ADD BLK PEPPER SEEDS and CARRAWAY SEEDS which burn your mouth a little bit but tasty. AS for the oven, I stay away as the heat is spread around while on the stove it gets direct heat at the bottom of the pot boiling the water upwards to evenly cook the cabbage rolls. As to Bell Peppers red/green, it is a matter of choice and individual taste/preference. Different countries had different ways of preparing a lot of dishes. My mother came from a area of many jewish people so there is a little jewish blood on both my mothers and dads side. SUCH A FLAVOR!!. Now for a QUICKEE Goulash meal. Cook ground beef as per usual adding all kinds of spices (little of everything) In seperate pot of boiling water add noodles (pasta), I like the wide noodles, stir until done, drain and mix into the cooked ground beef and spoon on to a plate. A SIDE DISH of lettuce with a good spoonful of LGE curd cottage cheese, sprinkle some red paprika on the cottage cheese, add fruit of peachs/pears/pineapple slice on the edge of plate and you have a nourishing meal to enjoy. Have not had my morning coffee and I'm already hungry. Stefhen

Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
Your description alone makes me feel as if I am back at one of two grand-mothers' tables, both from Eastern Europe, with similar recipes.

Thanks for the recipes and the memory lane moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Ok let me see now. In cooking the paprikas I left out 2 spices?? due to peoples different tastes. Some like a not too spicey and some like it HOT to the palate. You can ADD BLK PEPPER SEEDS and CARRAWAY SEEDS which burn your mouth a little bit but tasty. AS for the oven, I stay away as the heat is spread around while on the stove it gets direct heat at the bottom of the pot boiling the water upwards to evenly cook the cabbage rolls. As to Bell Peppers red/green, it is a matter of choice and individual taste/preference. Different countries had different ways of preparing a lot of dishes. My mother came from a area of many jewish people so there is a little jewish blood on both my mothers and dads side. SUCH A FLAVOR!!. Now for a QUICKEE Goulash meal. Cook ground beef as per usual adding all kinds of spices (little of everything) In seperate pot of boiling water add noodles (pasta), I like the wide noodles, stir until done, drain and mix into the cooked ground beef and spoon on to a plate. A SIDE DISH of lettuce with a good spoonful of LGE curd cottage cheese, sprinkle some red paprika on the cottage cheese, add fruit of peachs/pears/pineapple slice on the edge of plate and you have a nourishing meal to enjoy. Have not had my morning coffee and I'm already hungry. Stefhen

Old 02-12-2008, 02:12 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times
Thanks Stefhen! You sound like one awesome cook!!!
My husband is a GREAT guy, but if I can no longer cook, we are gonna get REAL skinny!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM

The great thing about stuffed cabbage is that you can save some in the freezer for another day. Learn to make a small batch and when you are happy with the results, then make a large pot full and save for maybe when family or company comes over for a visit. To me, it is almost like canning season. When cabbage is on SALE, or GOOD ground beef (15%) lean is on SALE is the time to make a LARGE POT and store in freezer containers, not necessarily for today only. Some days a person just does not feel like cooking or maybe a rainy day is here. When folks are visiting they want conversation most of the time and not cooking time. There is an exception to this rule when females are abundant then its kitchen talk and mass cooking for the family. This was the case when my mothers sister and family (HUNGARIAN) visited us for the weekend. You can imagine what the MENU was. Two women from HUNGARY. Stefhen (Pista) (Pee-shta)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink