Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you drink Maxwell House/Foldgers, how old are you?
30 and Under 4 7.41%
31-to 40 10 18.52%
40-60 19 35.19%
60 + 21 38.89%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 05:43 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
fibonacci: I will absolutely never, ever again touch the stuff in my life. It is awful. Even Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks brand from the grocery store is 10x better. My god, just thinking about the gallons of that motor oil tasting stuff I used to drink in grad school makes me cringe.
I agree. I never considered Folgers and Maxwell House to be a real coffee. Stuff people drink gallon wise just can't be real or good. And sadly, lots of people would take a sip of single origin high-end coffee and not appreciate the taste. They prefer mediocre, pre-ground coffee, which is one of coffee's most inferior form. Like Folgers or Maxwell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 06:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Look, I've drank a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT of Foldgers in my life during grad school--it was free in the cafeteria during my PhD and it took a tooooon of coffee to get through grad school. I will absolutely never, ever again touch the stuff in my life. It is awful. Even Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks brand from the grocery store is 10x better. My god, just thinking about the gallons of that motor oil tasting stuff I used to drink in grad school makes me cringe.

Lol, and there are many who think that Starbucks is bitter, overpriced muck.

In other words, we all have our standards

Old 11-23-2016, 08:12 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol, and there are many who think that Starbucks is bitter, overpriced muck.

In other words, we all have our standards
I have standards, and I like Starbucks, too. I like dark roast coffee. But I buy the beans and make the coffee at home. I don't like coffee that's been left sitting, no matter who makes it, and I am so intrinsically cheap about certain things, I don't like paying for coffee out. If I do have coffee in a coffee shop, I generally order Americano or pour-over (which is how I make it at home), because they prepare those to order.

For the last couple of years, I've been buying Cafe Pajaro at Trader Joe's. It's extra dark roast and costs 61 cents per ounce v. 87 cents per ounce for either of my two favorite Starbucks coffees.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:49 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
I drink Maxwell House all the time. It's a cheap brand, but then again, I don't drink coffee for taste, but for the jolting effect. I just want something that does the job of keeping me awake without costing too much. Not unlike an alcoholic picking Steel Reserve over Revolution Brewing . Because I do drink a lot of coffee.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:22 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I've never sampled "Foldgers" coffee, but in my younger days I did use Folgers and Maxwell House, as well as Yuban and Chock Full O' Nuts. Essentially, I drank whatever was on sale.

At this point in my existence, I believe that life is too short to drink crappy coffee, or crappy beer, or crappy wine, and so, Folgers, Maxwell House, and the other mass-market brands have not been in my pantry for many years.

I kind of feel this way about burgers and kind or roll my eyes when guys say they could live of Burger King or Taco Bell. For me it's Culvers at least for a Burger if I'm not grilling them myself with charcoal and applewood, though I admit I like beers like miller lite and don't have any attraction towards highly rated strong stouts or anything like that.

Basically to each their own. I try not to be a food snob because nobody's taste in food is any better or worse than anyone else's... it's all ego and narcissism.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have standards, and I like Starbucks, too. I like dark roast coffee. But I buy the beans and make the coffee at home. I don't like coffee that's been left sitting, no matter who makes it, and I am so intrinsically cheap about certain things, I don't like paying for coffee out. If I do have coffee in a coffee shop, I generally order Americano or pour-over (which is how I make it at home), because they prepare those to order.

For the last couple of years, I've been buying Cafe Pajaro at Trader Joe's. It's extra dark roast and costs 61 cents per ounce v. 87 cents per ounce for either of my two favorite Starbucks coffees.
While I much prefer whole bean of whatever brand, Starbucks is not great coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink