Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times

Advertisements

Have an old Chef Pan. Over the years, I've ran it thought the dishwasher (yes, I know it's a no-no) so the anodized finish was coming off with the hand scrubbing. Bought a paint removing scrubby and took the entire pan and lid to shiny aluminum.

I know not to cook anything acidic in it, but do you think the aluminum is fine for any other sort of cooking? I'm not too concerned about Alzheimer's (I think), but more that there might be different grades of aluminum.

I tried calling Calphalon, but I don't think the phone number connects you to a human unless you are going to buy something and I never have any luck with emailing companies. Stamped into the bottom is 28152 0M.

It's probably older than dirt and not part of the lifetime warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 04:35 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I had no problem getting an E-Mail response from Calphalon when I had questions about a pan I found at a local resale shop, it's worth a try.

If you can find a local metal finishing firm you may be able to get the pan re-anodized.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:03 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Just toss it and buy a new pan!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:24 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I had no problem getting through to Calphalon but by the time you pack it up and pay shipping you may probably be better off buying a new pan. Williams Sonoma carries a Calphalon which does well in the dishwasher and does not mind metal utensils.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:07 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
That's sort of impressive. I've had a set of calphalon hard anodized for about 20 years, and not a bit of it has come off.

I doubt that Calphalon is going to tell you that it's okay to use. They'll more likely recommend you buy a new pan. Which is my recommendation as well.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
I sent an email to Calphalon. We'll see how that goes.

The pan has a bit of sentimental value, so I don't want to toss it. I can get bare aluminum saute pans at the local restaurant supply store, so I'm just wondering if I have a food grade alloy. The most I would probably use it for is steam/saute vegetables.

I can't even remember when I bought it. Maybe late 90's or even the early 90's. There are few things that survive my purges, so I held on to it for some reason.

As for recoating it, I'm not sure there is a place here on the MS Gulf Coast that would do it. I guess I could ship it, but I'm not sure what the charge for a coating would be. What sort of coating would one suggest? Would copper plating hold up?

Old 03-20-2016, 12:41 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
I sent an email to Calphalon. We'll see how that goes.

The pan has a bit of sentimental value, so I don't want to toss it. I can get bare aluminum saute pans at the local restaurant supply store, so I'm just wondering if I have a food grade alloy. The most I would probably use it for is steam/saute vegetables.

I can't even remember when I bought it. Maybe late 90's or even the early 90's. There are few things that survive my purges, so I held on to it for some reason.

As for recoating it, I'm not sure there is a place here on the MS Gulf Coast that would do it. I guess I could ship it, but I'm not sure what the charge for a coating would be. What sort of coating would one suggest? Would copper plating hold up?
Anodizing isn't so much a coating as it is a process to oxidize the surface of aluminum, there are both decorative versions that can be dyed virtually any color as well as hard anodizing which I'd guess is what's used on cookware. It's been years since I've had anything done (car/motorcycle parts, not cookware) and it's possible environmental regs may have taken a toll on the number of metal finishing firms still in existence.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:09 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I second the NEW PAN! I get a new frying pan about every 2 years...or whenever I need it! They aren't that expensive! Jeez!

Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you can find a local metal finishing firm you may be able to get the pan re-anodized.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not, it's just a pan.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:11 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I second the NEW PAN! I get a new frying pan about every 2 years...or whenever I need it! They aren't that expensive! Jeez!
Another alternative - cast iron.
Won't need to buy a new one for 100 to 300 years or so.

. . .
For the ultimate non-stick, have your cast iron skillet ground smooth.
(Yeah, some argue that it defeats seasoning, but carbon steel woks which are quite smooth, can be seasoned over time.)

Cast Iron Cookware Finishing - The Cast Iron Collector: Information for The Vintage Cookware Enthusiast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink