Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
While the Ikea meatballs are okay, the food at Costco is superior. Ikea does get a slight edge for dining experience. I love the special multi-tier food tray carts that allow one person to get all the food for a group...they're the height of luxury! I find that the foreign sounding names for otherwise ordinary dishes add a slight air of sophistication. Also, kid-sized tables with a TV playing cartoons do a lot to improve the overall dining experience.
LOL, you might have a career as a food critic, that description was great. Maybe I will try out Costco in the future. I can save money on lunch by buying a $1.50 hot dog, but spend another $200 there on items I don't really need at all.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:42 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grm215 View Post
While the Ikea meatballs are okay, the food at Costco is superior. Ikea does get a slight edge for dining experience. I love the special multi-tier food tray carts that allow one person to get all the food for a group...they're the height of luxury! I find that the foreign sounding names for otherwise ordinary dishes add a slight air of sophistication. Also, kid-sized tables with a TV playing cartoons do a lot to improve the overall dining experience.
I dunno, I think I have to argue Costco's superior food. The prices at Ikea are at least as good as Costco's and they have some very healthy options. Costco mainly has junk food on offer.

I go to Ikea's cafeteria for the meatballs (love them!), but you can also get steamed vegetables, salads, some really amazing desserts, etc.

But yes, Ikea is like another dimension. I can spend hours there, just browsing. You have to refuel at some point! LOL

Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
LOL, you might have a career as a food critic, that description was great. Maybe I will try out Costco in the future. I can save money on lunch by buying a $1.50 hot dog, but spend another $200 there on items I don't really need at all.

While I think their pizza is decent, I have not had it in a while. More on the spending $200 on what you don't need... Nobody is forcing one to buy random things at Costco, BJs, etc. If one shops smartly, good deals and in required quantities can be had at Costco. Are their prices on every single thing the best around? Absolutely not. But when you do price comparison with local stores, you can indeed save a few bucks be it buying papertowels, cleaning supplies, spices, etc.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:43 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
While I think their pizza is decent, I have not had it in a while. More on the spending $200 on what you don't need... Nobody is forcing one to buy random things at Costco, BJs, etc. If one shops smartly, good deals and in required quantities can be had at Costco. Are their prices on every single thing the best around? Absolutely not. But when you do price comparison with local stores, you can indeed save a few bucks be it buying papertowels, cleaning supplies, spices, etc.
I tend to go with a list of staples and an idea of how much money I'm looking to spend beyond that. The first time I went, I totally went nuts, but since then I really haven't made any frivolous purchases.

Paper goods, garbage bags, toiletries, olive oil, chicken breasts, ground buffalo, almond milk, quinoa, peanut butter, honey - the deals are hard to beat. I think I saved something like $50 on my printer. And their grain-free dog food is worth the cost of membership alone. It's like $35 per 30-lb bag which is unheard of for a quality food.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Why would you spend $200 on things you don't really need? We spent $144 at Costco this weekend, but we only buy things we will use. Since there are only two of us, we don't buy the gigantic things of food. But if we can buy things that are in individual portions, things that we would normally buy, we do it.

We buy paper towels and toilet paper, vitamins, ibuprofen, aspirin, hand lotion, bath soap when our store had Lever 2000 - but unfortunately they don't anymore, K-cups, sometimes bottled water.

Saturday we bought toilet paper, paper towels, aspirin, Emergen-C, sardines in olive oil, V8, gallon and quart size Ziploc bags, a garden hose and a package of 15 boxes of Kraft mac and cheese because we have a granddaughter who loves mac and cheese. The things we bought will last us a long time and it is a lot cheaper than getting the same things/same amounts in the grocery store. And all of those are things we would have bought anyway.

About the food court. Not this last weekend, but the last time we went to Costco, we debated getting a hot dog in the food court when we were done, then ended up going to a BBQ place instead. We spent $35 for a meal for two when we could have spent less than $4 for a couple of hot dogs and a couple of Cokes! Next time we'll just eat at Costco!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
We visit Costco usually twice per month and I sit in the food court waiting for my wife to finish her shopping. I witness people of all nationalities devour junk food that in no way looks appetizing. I have yet to buy a food item at the food court.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:54 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
The kids love it. The adults... well... we can't eat like kids anymore.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:56 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
I've never actually eaten at a Costco. I wonder how it compares to the food at Ikea. I know some people who make it a point to eat there every time they go, which works out well, because once you walk into an Ikea, you can't find your way out for several hours.
I love Swedish meatballs, and since I rarely go to Ikea, I usually do try to time it so I can eat while there. I go to Costco more often, and rarely eat there. The food is fine for what it is, and it's a great value, so if you need a snack, it works out.

A couple of people on this thread have mentioned the brisket sandwich, which I admit I have not tried, so I will make a point of trying to work that into a visit sooner rather than later.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I like the dog, but I've only eaten it twice bc I never have cash.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
We used to stop by just for the dogs. And they had Polish dogs which were wonderfully spicy, which I liked best. The bread was also always fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink