Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,541,544 times

Advertisements

I've had cucumble salad without the peel. Certain type of cucumbers cannot be peeled those are the smaller varieties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,171,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wherever does that idea come from that you seem to be clinging to so tightly? You've said this several times now, as if you take being given an unpeeled cucumber as some kind of personal affront to your humanity.

Lots of people eat cucumbers with the peel still on. Not everyone lives with goats and pigs, either, so we don't find it necessary to distinguish between what's "theirs" and what's "ours".
Cucumbers were ALWAYS peeled for the first 30 years of my life. That was back in the day before restaurants were not a commonly visited place, and when food was good tasting, cooked other than in a microwave, or slipped out of a frozen food box with "Banquet" written on the label. Nobody would dream of feeding breaded chicken "whatevers" to the kids. We got fried bologna sandwiches for lunch made with real bologna, made from pork, not ground up turkey vents. If you've never had that, you ain't lived. Just an example. Now you know why.

P.S. In 65 years I, nor nobody I know in the US has had a significant "nutrient" deficiency. This isn't Laos.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:21 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,767,695 times
Scrub potato, dry off, prick with fork, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, bake on oven rack, done!

BTW, I love mini cukes peel and all.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's interesting. My mother never peeled cucumbers, just washed them, so I had no idea people did so until I met my husband. He was always good for making the salad, and he peeled the cukes.

My mom peeled carrots, though, and now we know you're supposed to just scrub them.

This one I probably couldn't get past - if a carrot isn't peeled, I most likely won't eat it (if I know - obviously pre-shredded carrots I'd have no idea.) I honestly care not what people say about how and where the "nutrients" are - I eat what pleases my palate, and pleases my eyes.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:02 AM

88,188 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Cucumbers were ALWAYS peeled for the first 30 years of my life. That was back in the day before restaurants were not a commonly visited place, and when food was good tasting, cooked other than in a microwave, or slipped out of a frozen food box with "Banquet" written on the label. Nobody would dream of feeding breaded chicken "whatevers" to the kids. We got fried bologna sandwiches for lunch made with real bologna, made from pork, not ground up turkey vents. If you've never had that, you ain't lived. Just an example. Now you know why.

P.S. In 65 years I, nor nobody I know in the US has had a significant "nutrient" deficiency. This isn't Laos.
??? I didnt say anything about a nutrient deficiency. I merely said when I was growing up, my mother never peeled cucumbers. I am 57. My mother made everything from scratch--she's 87 now, and still bakes homemade pies and cakes from scratch. Your big eight years on me aren't that different--you are my sister's age.

My question, if you had bothered to actually read what I wrote in the post you quoted, which it is plain that you did not, was about the cucumbers and where you got the idea that they MUST be peeled, or how you came to hold the idea that they are food for livestock. I thought you might respond that you got that perception from growing up on a farm or something. Instead I get a rant about frozen food and fried baloney sandwiches.

Perhaps there's something in cucumber skin that provides the brain with the ability to make a logical response to a straightforward question.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:36 PM

32,793 posts, read 36,046,145 times
Quote:

My mother didn't serve bologna. She said it was garbage meat. She didn't peel a "nice" cucumber, meaning one from a home garden or from the store if it didn't have that waxy coating. She always said that most of the vitamins were in the skin and just under. She also didn't peel new potatoes or vegetables which were to be roasted. It was a case by case matter. Most of the family ate the baked potato skins, too. I didn't care for them when I was little.

I haven't ordered a baked potato in a restaurant in years, so I don't know how they are now.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:01 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,042,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The trick to a crusty outside is the grease and somehow it seems to produce that nice fluffy inside.

If you wrap them in foil you will get a steamed potato.
we use to cook potatoes in tinfoil while burning leaves

Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother didn't serve bologna. She said it was garbage meat. She didn't peel a "nice" cucumber, meaning one from a home garden or from the store if it didn't have that waxy coating. She always said that most of the vitamins were in the skin and just under. She also didn't peel new potatoes or vegetables which were to be roasted. It was a case by case matter. Most of the family ate the baked potato skins, too. I didn't care for them when I was little.

I haven't ordered a baked potato in a restaurant in years, so I don't know how they are now.

Probably was garbage - where you lived (and where they apparently, served cukes unpeeled, yuck). But we had Kowalski's brand cold cuts. There is nothing like it. A totally different world there. Ask anybody from where I come from.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:18 PM

32,793 posts, read 36,046,145 times
Quote:
Probably was garbage - where you lived (and where they apparently, served cukes unpeeled, yuck). But we had Kowalski's brand cold cuts. There is nothing like it. A totally different world there. Ask anybody from where I come from.
Don't get me wrong, she'd buy hot dogs the butcher made. He was a Jew, so they were beef dogs. We ordered kielbasi from a Polish butcher. He only made it on holidays, so you had to order. Bologna? Bologna was something that was made by people she didn't know.

We bought our chicken from the poultry market--which had live chickens in the building behind the small retail shop. Once a year, mom and dad went to a farm out in the country and ordered beef, half a cow, butchered, which they would pick up later in the year. There were two full service bakeries in the neighborhood, and we bought our bread there. Mom had tired of baking bread and decided that dessert was more fun.

My father's mother had a small garden and raised chickens--during the depression--when he was growing up. My mother's mother had a very productive garden which produced from spring through fall. She pretty much had to because it was England during WWII. Both of them would have been horrified, horrified, if you'd peeled one of their cucumbers. You don't peel nice vegetables. You peel substandard produce to make it look better.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Don't get me wrong, she'd buy hot dogs the butcher made. He was a Jew, so they were beef dogs. We ordered kielbasi from a Polish butcher. He only made it on holidays, so you had to order. Bologna? Bologna was something that was made by people she didn't know.

We . Both of them would have been horrified, horrified, if you'd peeled one of their cucumbers. You don't peel nice vegetables. You peel substandard produce to make it look better.
I totally understand. Our Polish cold cut outfit (Kowalski's - Detroit) made bologna (among numerous other things) an art. Even today, they carry garlic bologna that is not to be believed. It isn't cheap, and too much and your coronaries will clog up, but, babe, when you want good stuff...we fight over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink