Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

I have nothing to compare this to, as I refuse to pay what the name brand Greek yogurts are charging... But this tasted kind of nasty at first compared to the more dessert-like Yoplait. But is it because it's Greek or because it's Kroger? Slowly getting used to it, but not sure if I should or not, after reading the reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 11:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
We don't have Kroger here anymore so I haven't tried their Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is generally thicker and not as sweet as regular yogurt. I've tried all the name brands and some are nasty and some are pretty good. The Chobani ones with the chocolate flakes in them are worth paying the price for name brand yogurt...the hubby and I eat those for dessert after the kids are asleep (so we don't have to shell out for fancy little yogurts for the kids too :P) Dannon Light and Fit with the fruit on the bottom tastes pretty good, and so do the Yoplait Greek whipped yogurts.

If you have a friend with a Sam's membership, that's a good place to get yogurt. I just bought 12 Yoplait Greek whipped yogurts there for $6.50.

You can also make your own yogurt if you're really into saving money...it doesn't take any special equipment other than glass jars to culture it in. But then you have to find a way of flavoring it that doesn't add a lot of expense or a lot of calories to it.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:06 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
From what I've read, the only real difference between regular yogurt and Greek style yogurt is that the whey is drained from the Greek, making it a little less sour tasting and quite a bit more creamy. This is why it's thicker.

I've also read that you can take a regular commercial yogurt and drain it through cheesecloth and get the same type of product as Greek style yogurt.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I find that most "off brand" greek yogurt is thickened with pectin and not drained of whey in the proper process. Some name brands as well (ahem greek gods). So I read labels really carefully. Anything else beyond milk, bacteria and maybe cream and it is a no go for me.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
It's edible (some flavors are better than others), and I'm frugal, so I'll tolerate it... Maybe I'll splurge on just one name-brand serving just to see what all the excitement is about... That is, what it's SUPPOSED to taste like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink