Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Went out to lunch today, at a midrange restaurant (for our area) and I started thinking about how different going out to eat has become in "modern" restaurants.

1. Stay hydrated. Now in every casual place there is s serve yourself water station. Usually with a fancy pitcher. And nicer places give you a pitcher for your table (or a carafe). Uber fancy places ask you still or sparkling.

2. Faux rustic. Nicer restaurants, in aims to appeal to a more casual dinner, have buckets of silverware and napkins resting on all the tables. Less work for the waitstaff. Gives off a "friendly" impression for the patrons.

3. Weird vessels for your bill. These days your bill might come clipped to a slab of wood. In a cup. Or in one place I went to, a hollowed out old book.

4. Deconstructed or fancy kid food. I went to one restaurant that had deconstructed hot chocolate. You got some hot milk and a bar of chocolate. You "stirred" the chocolate in the milk till it melted. It came with a side of marshmallows. I have seen a few different takes on smores: fancy / deconstructed / homemade. And my favorite was cookies and dip.

What trends have you noticed?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I haven't noticed any of those trends but one place I went (and will not be going back) brought us an empty styrofoam container when I asked to take the rest of my meal home. We were supposed to fill the container ourselves from our plate.

I guess that's less work for the wait staff and maybe it's even more sanitary because it doesn't go back into the kitchen but for the prices you pay at a nice restaurant, I don't want do it yourself "service."

We ate out last night and nothing was new or trendy. They kept our water glasses full, brought us rolls, came back and asked how our meal was, brought us the dessert menu. I guess one more negative thing I've noticed is how many desserts have kid ingredients like oreo cookies or cookie dough ice cream. This place had grown up food though--that's why we go there.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I've never seen anything like that but, then this is Arkansas so there you go.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I've never seen anything like that but, then this is Arkansas so there you go.
Whacha havin sweetie?

Meat n taters?

O taters n meat?

Old 03-22-2016, 08:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Whacha havin sweetie?

Meat n taters?

O taters n meat?

Ha! Very funny.

There is one place called Ya Ya Bistro that offers two kinds of water, sparkling or flat. They both come in fancy bottles. I always ask for flat.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I haven't noticed any of those trends but one place I went (and will not be going back) brought us an empty styrofoam container when I asked to take the rest of my meal home. We were supposed to fill the container ourselves from our plate.
Unless this was fine dining with white linen tablecloths, that is par for the course in my experience. Anyplace that serves more than a person can eat in one sitting is probably not the kind of place with the pretense to make a production of bringing your food back to the kitchen for professional repackaging by a Cordon Bleu trained saucier.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I guess that's less work for the wait staff and maybe it's even more sanitary because it doesn't go back into the kitchen but for the prices you pay at a nice restaurant, I don't want do it yourself "service."
I used to agree with you on this point. And then I got a doggie bag with someone else's leftovers. Now I ask for a container in which I can package my own food, and a bag to carry it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Now in every casual place there is s serve yourself water station. Usually with a fancy pitcher. And nicer places give you a pitcher for your table (or a carafe). Uber fancy places ask you still or sparkling.
I love the trend of being offered sparkling water as a freebie. I usually order a bottle of San Pellegrino, so it's a money-saver.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I've never seen any of those things!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Oh I forgot one!

#5: Put an egg on it! Now everything everywhere has an option to top with a fried egg (or similar). Burgers. Rice bowls. Pizza. Salads. I saw another weird one recently and I can't remember what it was.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 PM

88 posts, read 86,700 times
It could be me that has changed, but it seems over the last few years, every restaurant serves way more than I would be able to eat. I too would rather put my own food in the bag, if taking it home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink