Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Was going to mention the MSG, along with lots more salt than I usually use at home.
Interesting article about MSG

If MSG is so bad for you, why doesn't everyone in Asia have a headache? | Life and style | The Guardian

"What does chiefly animate Japanese soups and broths is an amino acid called glutamate. In the best ramen shops it's made naturally from boiling dried kombu seaweed; it can also come from dried shrimp or bonito flakes, or from fermented soy. More cheaply and easily, you get it from a tin, where it is stabilised with ordinary salt and is thus monosodium glutamate.

This last fact is of little interest to the Japanese - like most Asians, they have no fear of MSG. And there lies one of the world's great food scare conundrums. If MSG is bad for you - as Jeffrey Steingarten, the great American Vogue food writer once put it - why doesn't everyone in China have a headache"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 09:33 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
no matter if its an attempt at making Philly cheese steaks, pizza in the oven or fried rice ?

they tell you how to make fried rice, but it does not come close to the restaurant. Philly cheese steaks are good when you make it at home, but it does not have that taste they have at any restaurant. the take and bake pizza tastes great, but still not like the restaurant. if anyone knows that would be good ?
As someone mentioned, your fried rice should be made with cold rice. Let it sit overnight in the fridge.

When I make steaks at home, I buy the prime cuts. More expensive, but taste much better.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 AM

475 posts, read 318,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Fried rice at restaurants tastes the same at every restaurant and I haven't duplicated that taste. They are using some sort of oil or seasoning that I can't figure out. I make a heck of a good friend rice, though.
If you haven't already, try using Basmati rice, (white) it's often used in Chinese restaurants instead of plain white rice.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Just add more butter. Lots!
In a sense this is correct. Restaurants do NOT worry about calories, oil or salt, they want things to taste good. I used to own a restaurant and make better food than most restaurants at home, but I know how to cook. Fresh ingredients and timing is important. You can't make good food without good ingredients. You CAN make better food than most restaurant, but it takes prep. For example, making a simple hamburger may require you to grind your own meat blend and keeping everything clean, so you can have a medium rare burger. Good cheese, a bun that is thrown on the grille with some butter and more to step up a burger to a GOOD restaurant standard. 99% of burgers at restaurants are crap, but there are some that are actually very good. Most people only want good toppings and could care less about medium rare, so that is why most restaurants don't care.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
In general you have to define "restaurant" to answer this question. I can beat most of them at home. Only those who have good, real chefs and use top quality ingredients really beat home cooking.

Plus many places use huge amounts of fat (butter, oil, even add tallow on top of steaks), tons of salt (ever watch Ann Burrell on FN? She throws more salt into a single meal than I'll use in a week.), MSG. And top places just have access to ingredients most of us can't get (because most in this country get to pick between Walmart and Kroger for their shopping.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know what foods OP thinks are better at restaurants. Whatever I cook at home beats what the restaurants serve.

Steak is all about the quality of the meat. You're never going to beat the steakhouse with the USA prime meat and a high heat flaming grill with your select grade marginal quality meat from the grocery store.

When you don't have access to a butcher and your meat comes from Walmart, you just can't get the quality product. Lord, some of their "best" is what mama used to have ground into hamburger when I was growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Interesting article about MSG

If MSG is so bad for you, why doesn't everyone in Asia have a headache? | Life and style | The Guardian

This last fact is of little interest to the Japanese - like most Asians, they have no fear of MSG. And there lies one of the world's great food scare conundrums. If MSG is bad for you - as Jeffrey Steingarten, the great American Vogue food writer once put it - why doesn't everyone in China have a headache"

Well, genetics perhaps? We know that some foods, take alcohol for example, affect different genetic populations in different ways. All I can say is how I feel when I eat someplace that uses lots of MSG on the food.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:07 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
For certain foods, being cooked at higher temperatures than used by most home cooks, as well as step heating/cooking where something is cooked at one temperature for a period, then cooked further at another temperature, often going from grill or pan to oven or vice versa. Various meats and, for example, twice cooked fries are example of this.

Also, many foods are prepped and then reheated which sounds like a failing, but actually changes the texture and properties of the final product for the better. For example braised pork that is let coll, then reheated in a pan with some oil for making carnitas. The contrast between the soft melting pork interior enclosed within a crust, browned exterior is essential to bring out the best of the dish.

Also, as much as many people laud their home cooked pizzas as better than anything you can get in any pizza shop anywhere, Unless they have an 800+ degree oven, I'm dubious.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Also, as much as many people laud their home cooked pizzas as better than anything you can get in any pizza shop anywhere, Unless they have an 800+ degree oven, I'm dubious.
I have a number of friends who have built pizza ovens in their outdoor kitchens.

Or you can buy a portable one for $300.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Just add more butter. Lots!
Funny you should say that, I've taken a couple of classes at CIA in Poughkeepsie and that's just what the chefs tell you, fats have concentrated flavor. We used duck fat, lard, and plenty of butter, flavor profiles go off the scale as well as the calorie counts.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:09 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Of course you can cook at home and it will taste as good as a very good restaurant. Prime ingredients (do not squeak because you get what you pay for). Table set with linen, .... We go through the charger, glasses, lighting routine every night. Hot plates, chilled plates. Timing!!!
Last night was meatloaf. Yes! Individual meat loaves of course ground beef and fine ground pork, mashed potatoes with 1/2 and 1/2 and horseradish, grilled asparagus and grilled cabbage wedge with olive oil and balsamico. Cooked vanilla pudding in tall glasses with warm honey and some sugared pecans. The beer was cold not frozen. Desert came with a chilled white. A small plate of antipasti did not hurt the martini. 45 minutes start to finish including feeding the sofa tigers. They prefer canned.
Frozen pizza has its place. But not when you look at it as restaurant food. Hold it! I have eaten at some places where that might have been an improvement.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:28 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Funny you should say that, I've taken a couple of classes at CIA in Poughkeepsie and that's just what the chefs tell you, fats have concentrated flavor. We used duck fat, lard, and plenty of butter, flavor profiles go off the scale as well as the calorie counts.
Yes, I think it's why people are shocked when we read articles that say such-and-such chain's pasta alfredo or even some type of salad has more calories in it than you should eat in a day. We wonder how that could possibly be.

I've also heard that the reason salads taste so good in restaurants is because they add a ton of salt to the greens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink