Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:19 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Say WHAAAAAAAAAT??? I guarantee there are quite a few of us in this forum who can put those restaurant ribs to shame. I'll even give you a tip - wrap in foil for the last hour of cooking if you want them to be fall-apart tender (not something desired in the BBQ competition world).
I agree! Restaurants tend to put too much sugar in their sauce and put on too much sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 04:38 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
I often wonder why it is so hard for restaurants to make the food I make at home...

Old 03-29-2016, 04:58 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
No sane person would ever use as much, salt, sugar, msg, butter or lard in their own cooking.

That said I enjoy dinning out but we are pretty conservative about how often and very judicious about where.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Nope, that's not it either. I've tried a few (store bought and home made)
There aren't many tricks to cooking a restaurant-quality steak. The very best steak restaurants use minimal seasoning. However, they do use prime quality cuts of meat, which has a HUGE impact on the flavor of a cooked steak. Most consumers buy choice or select cuts of meat from the supermarket. That might be why you're not getting the same flavor.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
There aren't many tricks to cooking a restaurant-quality steak. The very best steak restaurants use minimal seasoning. However, they do use prime quality cuts of meat, which has a HUGE impact on the flavor of a cooked steak. Most consumers buy choice or select cuts of meat from the supermarket. That might be why you're not getting the same flavor.

How many restaurants out there are really serving USDA Prime to their customers? Maybe two or three establishments in most cities. And while they may not use a lot of seasonings for a steak, most use decent amounts of salt and pepper on steaks.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
How many restaurants out there are really serving USDA Prime to their customers? Maybe two or three establishments in most cities. And while they may not use a lot of seasonings for a steak, most use decent amounts of salt and pepper on steaks.
I qualified which restaurants...

"The very best steak restaurants use minimal seasoning. However, they do use prime quality cuts of meat..."

If someone tries to recreate the flavor at home they have to purchase prime cuts. Also, I mean minimal seasoning as in number of ingredients - the amount is rarely "minimal."

Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 AM

146 posts, read 121,052 times
kind of like kfc, Popeye's chicken, you cant mimic that at home, i have tried lol. even with less salt, it seems there is more to it than what they tell.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:24 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
And the Chinese restaurant will have about six to eight times the available heat for their woks than a residential stove can provide. High heat is how to stir fry crunchy things that stay crunchy.

For most restaurant food, it's always fun to see how many layers of fat, salt and sugar they managed to load onto your plate. Take your basic innocent potato. Cut it into french fries, toss them in sugar and salt, fry them in oil (lard is even better), then add more salt after they're done. So those would be sugar/salt/oil/salt. If you put cheese sauce on top, you get more fat/oil/salt on top. Then add in the chemicals. They can make something healthy into plutonium.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
The only thing that makes restaurant food better than what I make at home is that somebody else does the dishes. Otherwise, I generally prefer my own cooking.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 AM

481 posts, read 427,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplugnw View Post
no matter if its an attempt at making Philly cheese steaks, pizza in the oven or fried rice ?

they tell you how to make fried rice, but it does not come close to the restaurant. Philly cheese steaks are good when you make it at home, but it does not have that taste they have at any restaurant. the take and bake pizza tastes great, but still not like the restaurant. if anyone knows that would be good ?
It's not hard; just add a crap-load of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink