Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:57 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
You'd think as a dent checker I'd care about expiration dates but I rarely check those. If I do it's on fresh or maybe canned stuff - never boxes. Even so, I've eaten a lot of expired stuff
I look for the reduced and dented items for a deal

today there was a whole shelf of reduced produce...cheap!!

and a carriage of dented cans,,,,half off!!

a few months ago my my over the range microwave oven died (came with the house 23 yrs ago)
I went to look for new ones.... and they were all 4-500.... for the ones I liked - I was at an appliance store

the salesman pipes up and said ... would you care to look at the scratch and dent microwaves??

I said sure,,,i found exactly what I was looking for with a scratch you can barely see...and it was 125 dollars!!

good rule of thumb.... look for dents for bargains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:36 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,058,342 times
I'm extremely weird about my food. Even though I know a small dent is probably just a ding from shipping or stocking, I wont eat it. I seriously waste so much food because I am so paranoid about food being bad

Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 AM

181 posts, read 492,117 times
Nothing wrong with a dented can, as long as it's not bulging. When I was much younger and making much less money, I used to shop at a dented can store to save money. Everything was 50-75% off pristine can prices and included name brands. Never once opened a dented can where the food was spoiled.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:22 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,253,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Moth View Post
Nothing wrong with a dented can, as long as it's not bulging. When I was much younger and making much less money, I used to shop at a dented can store to save money. Everything was 50-75% off pristine can prices and included name brands. Never once opened a dented can where the food was spoiled.
I didn't even know that they had dented can stores.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 AM

19,520 posts, read 22,402,159 times
Quote:
We did the same thing when we first got married. There was a dented/day old store in Martinsburg, WV we used to go into. Saved a lot of money on stuff.

Frankly I don't care if the can is dented. Hell all the canned goods in my truck camper are dented from being banged around in transit, lol.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:56 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,770,928 times
I don't check. If I pick up a can with a huge dent I'll put it back, but otherwise, no.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:33 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,434,034 times
Quote:
That's exactly what my mom told me and exactly what I look for.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:36 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,729,940 times
I just went to Aldis today and got the last 4 cans of BEEF RAVIOLI they had... (The original (Before it was changed) and all 4 cans have dents!! (Pretty big ones)))

Nothing wrong with that I guess,the flavour of whats inside should still be ok....

I usually dont buy DENTED cans but when its the last of it,your kinda forced to!! (Im glad I have as much of it as I have)

Old 09-11-2016, 05:59 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,814,361 times
There actually used to be several food stores in the area where I live called, "The Dented Can." They sold dented cans and food past the expiration date, cheap.

I am very picky about food so I don't use dented cans. I really don't use much canned food because I almost always cook from scratch.

The few times I have found a dented can after I got home I returned it to the store for exchange.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:03 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,814,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I'm ocd about dented cans...even for my cat's food.

I guess I feel as though the can/contents have been "violated," if you will.

I will never willingly purchase a can that has a dent in it, even if it's just a small palpable one that I can detect.
I check my pet food cans before I buy them. If I find a dent that I missed, I return the can for exchange the next time I go to that store.

The dogfood I buy now is very expensive and comes in cans that are thicker than the cans many grocery items are packed in. So they don't dent easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink