U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:34 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times

Advertisements

Interesting to hear you also fry and eat the flowers. I never tried that and might next time I grow some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintyFresh View Post
When I visit my grandmother in Italy, we usually do an egg wash and just dump it in some flour. Nice and simple. We usually fry the zucchini flower as well with the same method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:57 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,210,597 times
I've done the zucchini flowers and they are so good.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:26 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintyFresh View Post
When I visit my grandmother in Italy, we usually do an egg wash and just dump it in some flour. Nice and simple. We usually fry the zucchini flower as well with the same method.
Have you ever stuffed them with cream cheese and herbs before battering? Mmmmmmmmm!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 AM

3,885 posts, read 7,207,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I add a little grated Parmesan to bread crumbs. My favorite way to cook them is spritzed with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and seasonings and grilled.
This sounds delicious! Grocery store stop tonight!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 42,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Interesting to hear you also fry and eat the flowers. I never tried that and might next time I grow some.
Hello,

I am from Italy and in my zone fried zucchini flowers are a delicacy, you can have them breaded or not.

BTW...funny that also you in USA use the term "zucchini" (zook-kee-nee)

Old 02-16-2008, 10:55 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,895,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I make fresh breadcrumbs with a good bread by whizzing it in the mixer, add some parmesan and some herbes de provence, add a bit of egg yolk to the mix by hand and grill for a few minutes.

It's also good if you add a couple of anchovies ( they have to be good anchovies, plump and not salty, preserved in oil is better as otherwise it tastes mainly of salt) or even sardines too. Drizzle with a bit of lemon olive oil and yumm....

I love it in Tempura batter or beer batter as well but have never made those myself.
How do you make your "beer-batter"?

Old 02-16-2008, 07:14 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,599,040 times
I use prgresso cumbs all the flavors, and I love fried green tomatoes too yum yum

Old 02-16-2008, 07:16 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,599,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonprog View Post
Hello,

I am from Italy and in my zone fried zucchini flowers are a delicacy, you can have them breaded or not.

BTW...funny that also you in USA use the term "zucchini" (zook-kee-nee)
we use the blossoms in a mexcian soup /stew or we stuff them too

Old 02-17-2008, 06:36 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Simon, I heard yesterday on a fine living show that the best pesto basil is grown in Liguria so I'm a little bit jealous of where you live! I love pesto. It's great on breaded and fried zucchini. My stomach's growling now. I'm 4.5 months from fresh zucchini.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
How do you make your "beer-batter"?
Ingredients

Put eight tablespoons of plain flour into a large mixing bowl and whisk (whisking flour is almost as effective as sieving it). Add a couple of tablespoons of the oil, then add the beer, bit by bit, stirring all the time. Keep adding beer and whisking until the batter has the consistency of thick gloss paint. It will start to look like it's going to be overrun by lumps, but just give it some elbow and they'll soon disappear. Season and let the batter rest for half an hour.
You can season it with salt and pepper or paprika and any other herbs/spices you fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink